Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Ladle

"Best" Ladle

I'm in the process of replacing everything I have jury rigged to get started with more professional (read safe) tools and reading the posts here. At the moment, I'm pouring and using 1 or 2 cavity molds. Is there a "best" ladle to get? You experienced folk would laugh your tails off at my current set up - a small, modified gravy spoon liberated from the kitchen. I look at the Lee, which is fairly cheap, then at the Lyman, which seems better quality, and then "bottom" pour, some of which get pretty salty. Does it matter? Does one work better? Is my question just stooped?
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Banned

I just got a. Lyman but have not used it. Made in China but I like the size. Have a Rowell #1 and it is sweet, but the Lyman seems better suited to smaller molds.

Boolit Master
    Not a stupid question at all. Just keep in mind, that unless you abuse the tool, it will last more than your life time. If you are just casting shooting ammo, and not something that you desire best quality of clean alloy, you will be perfectly happy with either the Lyman or the RCBS ladle. If you ever get into really serious quality casting you might find that the Rowell ladle with the pour comming from the bottom of the bowl, will pour a clean alloy even with a little debris on the top of the melt. The Rowell ladles come in different sizes and of course the prices are according to size. While it can be a bit pricy as you say, it really is a time to get the right tool for the job. Good luck. Dusty

Boolit Grand Master

I have used lee lyman and rcbs laddles over the years. Lees are on the short side for most after market pots, the lip pour rules out forced p[ours or pressure casting, Lees are on the smaller size for bigger bullets ( 500 grn +). Lymans ladle is well constructed is long enough to get to the bottome of a dutch oven being used for a pot and holds enough lead for the larger bullets, and the spout allows forced feed of the mold. The rcbs is all the above of the lyman but with a little more capacity which helps hold heat longer when pouring. They used rowels in the plant I worked when a laddle was called for but they were 10 - 15lb models. Die cast area and "aluminum". but they worked very good and efficent. Go to diffrent shops and look at handle them if possible see what feels right in your hands. Another plus of the Lyman and rcbs being cast steel and slightly heavier than the lee is they hold heat better when pouring. Lumans can be drilled and tapped on othe side for left hand use also. The smallest bullet I cast right now is a .378 dia at 335 grns, my 45 paper patched mold is 450-600 grns, others are 510 and 530grns respectivly, my 40 is 400 grns. I use a dutch oven on a propane burner for melting. Those big bullets empty a 10 or 20 lb pot pretty quickly. Examine your needs / wants / needs handle a few diffrent ladles and make the decision, then after a few sessions wondering order the others. Personally I like the rcbs for the slightly larger capacity and shape. It is a rounded front with squared off back. For me it seems to make dipping easier when the pot is low.

Boolit Grand Master
    I started with a bent SS ladle from Wallyworld; it worked but the best thing I could say about it was that it was cheaper than ordering a Lee and having to wait for it to get there. Within a couple of months of starting casting, I picked up an RCBS dipper at one of the stores in Reno and have not been dissatisfied with my choice.

Are there better ones out there? Maybe, maybe not. I like the fin on the bottom of the RCBS dipper, it lets me clear a spot to dip clean alloy from.

I do bottom pour at least some of my boolits now, but I get more enjoyment from using the ladle. One thing that helped my casting immensely was getting a Lee 4-20. It is a lot more comfortable to cast boolits from it of the later RCBS Promelt than it is to dip from a cast iron pot and a Coleman stove, due to less heat loss around the pot.

Good luck,

Robert

Robert

Histed, I definitely wouldn't laugh at your setup. I think you'll find many started with similar setups (for years I cast fishing sinkers/lures with a soup ladle over a camping gas stove!). I progressed to a large saucepan for melting the lead, but in the interests of safety, once I started casting RB's, I bit the bullet and bought a Promelt.

As for ladles, I always thought the Lyman looked like a pretty good unit for the money. The Lee is just too flimsy, imo.

Thanks, fellas. I was already leaning toward the RCBS or Lyman and I do like the idea of handling the ladle before buying. Starting to see a "reason" for a trip to cabelas when the weather breaks. Right now I have Lee 158 gr tumble lube sw, 9mm 124 gr rn tumble lube and both round ball (.535) and minie ball (533) for my front stuffer (the last courtesy of Brass Magnet). Once I get going and get some experience, I'd like to cast for my 30-30 and 7mm. Maybe later for the .223, though the opinion here seems to be that the small boolits are more challenging to cast. One step at a time, slow and safe.
    Last edited by histed; 02-22-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

In my opinion the Lee is no better than what you are using now. The only other ladle I have used is the Lyman. It works for me although I do have thoughts about trying a Rowel #1 just to see if I like it any better. My Lyman, which is about 2 years old came from the factory with the ability to change from right to left hand pouring. Almost everything I cast I "pressure pour" and the Lyman works well for me.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    In my opinion the Lee is no better than what you are using now. The only other ladle I have used is the Lyman. It works for me although I do have thoughts about trying a Rowel #1 just to see if I like it any better. My Lyman, which is about 2 years old came from the factory with the ability to change from right to left hand pouring. Almost everything I cast I "pressure pour" and the Lyman works well for me.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    I don't think I can pressure pour from my Rowell #1. It does not have a nozzle that fits the sprue plate as the Lyman and the RCBS does.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    There is Rowell and then there is everybody else......just my opinion, but that is what you asked for. My lyman and my RCBS ladles sit in the shed gathering dust.

Boolit Master

The best ladle is a bottom pour spout on your pot.

USAFrox, Bottom pour is in the works, as soon as my personal economy improves as much as the national one is supp...oops, no politics, sorry. Read that the lee is OK if you don't mind lapping the valve at the bottom for a tighter fit.
    .357 - no offence, genuine interest. What makes Rowell so good? And this may be the wrong place to ask, or maybe I haven't found the sticky yet, but what is pressure pouring?

bhn22
    When you shop, pay close attention to the square-back RCBS ladle. Mine beats the snot out of the Lyman ladle I used before. More capacity, and it seems to handle better.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-23-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Pressure pouring is turning the mold on its side 90* and fitting the ladle spout into the sprue plate and tipping everything up right together and allowing the wieght of the full ladle to "pressure" fill the mold. Some molds responf to this method. It keeps the bullets base liquid longerallowing for gases to vent and voids to fill. A ladle full of lead minus the bullets molds capacity makes for a pretty uniform resivoir filling the final little bit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    .357 - no offence, genuine interest. What makes Rowell so good?
    I get more consistent boolits/weights with one (lead pool mass is the likely culprit for that) , I like it alot, I find it more comfortable than the others although the RCBS with the square scraping flange is a close second choice for doing single cavity moulds. I did shorten my handle on the #1 a bit from issued though...it was a bit ungainly with the original length handle.

And my education continues. Again, my thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

The question in post #1 is: "Best" Ladle

Lowell #2. As was already said, there is Lowell and then there is everyone elses.

#1 is a fine ladle BUT . . . For 1 and 2 cavity/small boolits #1 is more than adequate but sooner or later you'll be doing multi cavity molds and/or larger boolits and #1 is too small for that. #2 is perfect for the larger boolits and of course can still be used for single cavity or small boolits. Since your considering a tool that will last your life time you might as well get the one that you will end up with eventually.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

I have Rowell #1 and a #7 and what you say makes sense about the #2. May have to add that. Regardless they are the standard and still made in the USA

Boolit Grand Master

histed, should you decide on a Rowell ladle a sponsor of this site, Roto Metals carries them. Nothing against Advance Car Movers but they aren't sponsors and Roto is.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member