MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Best" Ladle

cbrick, I saw that earlier. Make's sense to support the home team, in both respects. This #2 is large enough to cast 6 cavity lee 9mm? I read another post (can't find the thread now) where one of fellas commented that casting 6 cavity with a ladle was almost beyond his scope, as he couldn't cast fast enough to keep the molds hot. When the kids bought me these molds at Christmas, the 9mm I got was 6 cavity, so...
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Bub
    rock springs, wyoming summer, Littlefield, Az. winter
    I use the Lyman ladle and cast 230 gr. 45acp's in a 6cavity Lee mould with no problems.

bhn22
    I also have a Rowell #1, but only use it for ingots. The Rowell ladles don't lend themselves well to us left-handers. That situation takes you down to RCBS & Lyman ladles of recent production.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I read another post (can't find the thread now) where one of fellas commented that casting 6 cavity with a ladle was almost beyond his scope, as he couldn't cast fast enough to keep the molds hot.
    I almost exclusively ladle cast including all of my 6 cavs, if he can't keep the mold hot he's doing something wrong.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I have a Rowell #2 and the casting is **** IMO. Maybe it is just because I know what good castings look like. I spent some time smoothing the casting and getting the spout the way it should be.

bhn22
    The Rowell is designed as a simple tool for pouring molten metal. They don't finish the inside at all, neither does anybody else.

If you're using a smaller ladle on a 4-6 cavity mold, you can also simply pour the first 2-3 cavities, then refill the ladle and pour the remaining ones. The bullets will come out the same, and it only take a couple more seconds to do. I've never had issues with larger 4 cavity 45 cal molds and an RCBS ladle, but I can see the potential.

Boolit Master
    I just finished a session with a newly purchased Rowell #1.. I had always previously used the Lyman dippers... got to say the Rowell was a pleasure to use... I only cast about 300 LFN's for my 44, but they looked great... never saw any sign of pin holes or debris on the surface... wish I knew about them sooner... hands down a whole lot better than any other dipper than I have used.

TheMoose

so, is the rowell #1 big enough to cast 6cav mold of 9mm in one pour??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mizzouri1 View Post
    Yes it is.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mizzouri1 View Post
    Barely. I suggest getting the #2 as needs change over time and if a larger boolit mold comes your way you can still only get so much into the #1, you can pour less from or not fill it as full with the #2.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Barely. I suggest getting the #2 as needs change over time and if a larger boolit mold comes your way you can still only get so much into the #1, you can pour less from or not fill it as full with the #2.

Rick
    great advice, i will go with the #2, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12