Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: First try with zinc

I am extremely saddened by some of the posts in this thread. There is at least one member who has posted in this thread that based on action in this thread I have put name on my very short list of members I will have no dealings with. My sadness is turning to anger.

I have been casting with zinc for ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .) for many years now. I have dedicated equipment I have developed over the years for doing so successfully including custom casting pot that ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .) and dedicated ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .) block molds that the zinc is ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .). I have also developed a ( . . . this portion of post deleted by original poster . . .) to prepare the boolits for loading.

I have posted several times in the past years about my developments and the accuracy and terminal ballistic results that have resulted but have gotten push back at times.

This thread proves beyond a reasonable doubt the wisdom of my relative silence over the last couple years in this regard. When lead is banned I most likely WILL NOT be sharing my methods with you SWINE !!!

I am seeing more and more of this kind of **** **** ****-****** on this board over the last year or so and not on just this subject or just the general section. This attitude is starting to show up more and more even in my favorite section of this board for which there is no good substitute that I know of anywhere else online. This may be my last post on this board. I'm sick of this vicious blood thirsty ******* attitude that attack anyone doing anything different and especially something that they know nothing about by their own admission.

Reason for Editing:

I just finished deleting everything I have ever posted about casting with zinc on this forum over the last half plus decade including information for custom casting tools and mold technology I have developed by trial and error over time because I have decided I will not share any of the knowledge I have learned over the years about casting with zinc due to the bloodthirsty prejudiced posts of some members on this forum viciously attacking those who cast with zinc. I will not share my knowledge with the enemy. I will not leave the information up in old posts for them to find later on. I would strongly encourage an and all of those who have learned how to successfully cast with zinc to do likewise, sooner or later the prejudiced bloodthirsty swine who have attacked us for years are going to have lead banned in their area and they are going to need the info, we should not give it to them, swine like them don't deserve to have the knowledge available when they need it themselves later on.
    Last edited by turbo1889; 03-02-2014 at 09:02 PM.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I thought the post was interesting . At some point in the not too distant future we may be seeking an alternative for lead as a casting material . Thanks for taking the time to give your results Slvrbllt40 !

Boolit Master
    I plan to try zinc roundballs in my 12 ga shotgun. Why? They are light enough to use conventional 12 ga components. Expansion upon impact? Ha ha ha, surely you jest! Did I mention it's a 70+ caliber projectile? Also, zinc projectiles in rifles can be pushed as hard as j-words and have less ill effect on the barrel. With the proper nose profile, expansion isn't really necessary anyway. I think zinc would be a great use for the 300 Blackout mold from Lee, that would keep the nose from slumping over upon firing.

Boolit Master

Lakeville Arms was the company with the zinc washers on the boolit.
    Well said Recluse.
    Well said turbo 1889.
    Slvrbllt40...keep up the good work. What leads me to experiment is a statement about how many times Edison failed before he perfected the light bulb.
    Powder coating not only lubricates, but increases cast diameter. Apologies for rambling but so much was posted and assumed.

Boolit Master

Turbo..I enjoy the knowledge you share concerning shotgun slugs. Dont leave us now.
    Experimentation equals the growth of knowledge. It is impossible for some of us to sit by and stagnate. I need to know if the experiment worked, and why....or if it failed, and why.
    Thanks

Like some others I am more than disappointed by standard of some of the posts in this thread. Are you all going to play nicely or shall I lock it?

The NRA E.H. Harrision book has material relating to Zn alloy bullets used with success. As pointed out Harvey Protex Bore bullets used a Zn washer.

I am looking forward to some tests and results.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Recluse hit a grand slam. I can see reason for Turbo to be offended/frustrated, but to punish the whole community due to brash negative comments of a few? Well, I reckon such is entirely up to him; but if he reconsiders sEe we will be the better for it.

prs

Vendor Sponsor

Turbo
    I would look at it completely different .. continue to post till they get it thru their thick skulls it for all members benefit to push the envelope.. to go where no man has gone before... to explore new worlds (yes I stole that from star trek ) buts its true .. the future will be in new alloys / metals and zink could be one of those..the more info we get the better ALL of us will be !!
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

N-SSA members are using zinc cast rounds in mortars, and in cannon, smooth bore and rifled, for live fire competition, just saying.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Please continue to post your results with zinc or anything else. Just because a few don't have the manners they were taught (or should have learned) and try to disrupt what others have done is no reason to even acknowledge them. I have learned it is a heck of a lot easier sitting on the sideline making comments than actually playing in the game. I just ignore the irrelevant comments and read the informative information. As prs said please don't take it out on the rest of us - we appreciate the effort.

I am here to learn and also who ever have new Ideas to try.There is not a set way of doing things.I know I seen on other websites that some think just that.but i do not stay on that site anymore.What someone try and make it work is what i like to learn.like some said that who knows what we will need to use in the years to come.Thanks to those that are willing to shear what they try and how all works out for them.I am always looking for new ideas and some day will need to use them for my self.nothing is writtien in stone i been told years ago.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Kirksite...That's the name I was trying to remember. Didn't the U.S.Military use kirksite bullets for training rounds circa WW 2 ?? Isn't Kirksite a zinc composite??. Hope I'm not wandering off topic, but was just thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Kirksite...That's the name I was trying to remember. Didn't the U.S.Military use kirksite bullets for training rounds circa WW 2 ?? Isn't Kirksite a zinc composite??. Hope I'm not wandering off topic, but was just thinking.
    Aka - Zamak 2 - 4% al, 3% cu, 93% zn. 835 degrees to cast. Not a far jump from our casting temps. Interesting.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Banned

Clod hopper,

I have a Harvey Protex bore mold that takes the zinc washers but have been unable to locate any. Do you know of a source?

Should anyone have a quantity of Zinc for sale or trade I'd be interested as I have a 2.25 inch cannon that is in need of more ammo!

Andre`

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post
    Why powder coat? Zinc does not need to be lubricated. Another case of gilding the lily.
    Powder coating allows you to add diameter to undersized boolits. I'm waiting for the day when someone figures out how to add a compound to powder-coating that not only will increase the diameter of an undersized zinc boolit, but that will also add weight.

When it happens, I'm willing to water it'll happen here with one of our forum members.

Boolit Master
    Yup all the guys poo poo'ed powder coating too.
    Now look.

Its new guys who are not beholden to old ideas that usually find the next big thing.
    Be careful though, Being the trail buster usually ends up stepping in a hole or two.

I am curious about zinc bullets that are powder coated. Not terribly curious yet. Still have my hands full learning powder coating.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 03-09-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Slvrbllt40,
    My hat is off to anyone willing to pioneer a new concept.
    Good Luck!!!!
    Thank You
    Jeff

With lead wheel weights sources evaporating, I'm following this thread with keen interest. The specifications of Kirksite AKA Zamak-2 sounds promising.

Andre, I sent you a Private message.

David
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Master
    Would you size over for zinc like you do for lead? A .308 win rifle takes a jacketed .308 projetile, would you cast a .308 zinc projectile? I know that you over size (.310) for lead to take the rifling and not let gas escape.

Boolit Master

I would think that Zink (harder than all of our lead alloys) would benefit from a Powder Coating to make it .309 for starts. All of my Zink was cast into a concrete retaining wall in Nevada, so I'll have to collect some more after we see some results on the testing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast