Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gene Beecher Rifle Rest

Boolit Master

Gene Beecher Rifle Rest

I bought this old rifle rest the other day because well I like older items and the quality of it is a step above my Caldwell. It weights in at 4.8 lbs and seems particularly well made. It has a stamp on it marked Gene Beecher Products - 1072. Cleveland 6, Ohio. I just wanted more information on this as I like to know more about my items. I searched the net and didn't really come up with anything except where one recently sold on ebay.

Many thanks ahead of time,
    Kevin
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy

The address on the data plate seems to pre-date zip codes, so that might give you an idea how old it is.

Postal codes were used from 1943-1963.
    Zip codes started in 1963.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master
    From an ad in the back pages of The Ultimate in Rifle Precision, Townsend Whelen, ed. 1958:

"National B.R. Champion Harold Hale used a Beecher Rifle Rest. The original light weight tripod rest. Eight years in use coast to coast and abroad. Super Model still $22.50. New Custom Model (Illustrated) $27.75. "Apache Jack" Wheel fits all older models $4.75. All postpaid and insured in U.S.A. No C.O.D.'s.

Eugene L. Beecher
    2155 Demington Dr.
    Cleveland Heights 6, O.

Life Member NRA"

The Custom model illustrated looks like yours except it has a stop in that front track. Congratulations; 27 bucks was a lot of money back then.

Boolit Master

Appreciate the information Bent, you really dug that one out of the pages of history. If you get a chance can you take a picture and send over to me? I'd like to see how that stop worked and maybe fabricate one for my use.

Used an inflation calculator to find out the value from then to now and equals about 223 dollars in todays currency.

Thanks for the information!
    Kevin
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Here's a picture of the ad:

Attachment 96826

Looks like a nut, a bolt with plastic tubing on it and maybe two Delrin washers would make a usable copy.

Money is certainly getting worthless anymore. I remember my Dad looking with disbelief at my first check for two weeks' night shift work at GMC Truck and Coach. It was 1966, and the figure, with overtime and after deductions, was $210. "I remember my first check was a princely $20 a month!" he said.

But four-five months of those checks bought four semesters of college tuition and fees, two semesters of dorm fees, a motorcycle and a guitar, and I still had some in the bank. I was rich and didn't even know it.

I would guess the Beecher was equivalent to two days' wages back in the late '50's. The 1958 edition is the latest one I have of The Ultimate, so I don't know when he stopped making them.

Boolit Master

You have been more than helpful. I think I will ride over to the hardware store in a bit and see what I can get to replicate. My dad always told me his father made 50 cents a day working for the WPA and that was only because he had mules. Money has lost its value and so has our appreciation of it. To much cheap stuff from China and everything is considered disposable...why invest time in something you are just going to replace in a year or so....

Very sad commentary on us indeed.

Thanks again!

Boolit Master
    New VS Old.

Ask me why all of my rifle builds are on OM 70's or 98 Mausers...?

Boolit Mold

Gene Beecher Rifle Rest avaiable

i just came across one of these if you are still looking for one. if so let me know or if you know anyone one who maybe looking. thanks josh

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    You have been more than helpful. I think I will ride over to the hardware store in a bit and see what I can get to replicate. My dad always told me his father made 50 cents a day working for the WPA and that was only because he had mules. Money has lost its value and so has our appreciation of it. To much cheap stuff from China and everything is considered disposable...why invest time in something you are just going to replace in a year or so....

Very sad commentary on us indeed.

Thanks again!