Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on bullet seat/crimp dies...

Boolit Mold

Thoughts on bullet seat/crimp dies...

I'm interested in some of the seat/crimp dies hornady and RCBS offers. I would be using on 45 ACP and 9mm loads. Just curious what peoples experience has been with these dies? Or am I better off sticking with separate seat and crimp dies. I'll be loading on a turret press not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Banned

I would stick with seperate. Also l would buy cartridge gage from midwayusa and you will be real happy with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/744...s-and-w-45-acp

I also started doing this year or so ago on pistol brass.

If you do 9mm you have to buy a makarov FCD to use with above case base swage.

Banned

Mike , i just did a thread on new dimension hornaday combo die, I was hopping but it was hit or mis so l re-sold on ebay/lost 67cents. If l have any trouble cartridge gage'ing my pistol ammo thats a problem. And combo causes that alot. Also it shave here and there last 64th.

There may be a magic person who works it, its not me.
    Last edited by gunoil; 02-13-2014 at 04:01 PM.

I prefer to seat and crimp in two operations. I feel it gives me more control over each operation, and lets me change boolit profiles without having to adjust the crimp. I did this even when loading on a rockchucker, so I'm not doing this for speed. Something about shoving the boolit into the case while trying to set the crimp just seems wrong to me.

I'm also a big fan of the Hornady New Dimension dies. They work great for me.

Banned

Dudel, last post real confusing. in this thread were calling the N.D. hornaday die a combo die.

So you say, you use both? You said: something seems wrong unless you seat then crimp,

Hornaday does make a seat and a seperate crimp die called N.D..

Last edited by gunoil; 02-13-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Don't most pistol seating dies also crimp? Every one that I bought has anyway, except for Dillon. When using a four die set the instructions have you back out the seating die body so it won't crimp. Rifle dies are another story.

Using the turret (assuming it's a four station minimum) then crimping after seating is much easier. It makes tuning adjustments easier and quicker. If you think about it, crimping the case mouth while the bullet is still seating doesn't really sound optimal. I've done it in the past when I needed, but still prefer seperate operations.

I have used RCBS but not the Hornady, I've also used Redding and Dillon. But I have more Lee dies sets than all the other combined. The targets and the ammo cannot tell the difference between them.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

I too feel seating w/ one die and crimping with another, second die is the best thing. As you state you are using a turret press, this is a snap! If you already have a 3-die set, adding a separate, dedicated crimp die is inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Dudel, last post real confusing. in this thread were calling the N.D. hornaday die a combo die.

So you say, you use both? You said: something seems wrong unless you seat then crimp,

Hornaday does make a seat and a seperate crimp die called N.D..
    Sorry for the confusion. I use Hornady dies. I seat with the Hornady die, then on pistol calibers I crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp die (gasp!) Yep, I do.
    Last edited by dudel; 02-13-2014 at 07:03 PM.

mikej959: How will you be dropping your powder? Powder through dies with a powder measure attached are very handy. Pistol powder through dies usually expand or flare the case mouth too. I use both Dillon and Lee powder through dies and powder measures. Both are case actuated, which isn't mandatory but is really nice. It's worth putting some thought into, maybe you are already set up and ready to go.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    mikej959: How will you be dropping your powder? Powder through dies with a powder measure attached are very handy. Pistol powder through dies usually expand or flare the case mouth too. I use both Dillon and Lee powder through dies and powder measures. Both are case actuated, which isn't mandatory but is really nice. It's worth putting some thought into, maybe you are already set up and ready to go.
    I'm using the hornady case activated powder measure that flares the case

Banned

We wonder how combo could be invented especially for lead or coated bullets. Combo would free up a hole in a loadmaster, extra hole not needed in 650 or 1050.

Mikej959, what was or is your use for a combo die? Gain a hole for powder check die or bullet feeder, or?

Quote Originally Posted by mikej959 View Post
    I'm using the hornady case activated powder measure that flares the case
    Nice! I haven't used that particular one, however folks I know have. Beside, Hornady makes good products, as do the other manufacturers. In pistol calibers they all (that I know of) flare the case mouth.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 02-14-2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    We wonder how combo could be invented especially for lead or coated bullets. Combo would free up a hole in a loadmaster, extra hole not needed in 650 or 1050.

Mikej959, what was or is your use for a combo die? Gain a hole for powder check die or bullet feeder, or?
    You are better off seating and crimping in two seperate steps. Most bullet feeders feed into the seating die, at least the ones I'm familiar with.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 02-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

For autopistol rounds like the 45 ACP and 9mm Luger, I would most definitely seat and crimp with two dies. The crimp die should be a taper crimp die. RCBS makes good stuff and I have many of their dies, some dating back to the early 50's.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    I'm reloading on a turret press and was hoping to combine 2 steps into one but if won't get me reliable feeding ammo I'll stick to using 2 dies.

Banned

You could try one and load copper plated or fmj projectiles. You may get the rcbs one to work for you. And maybe the hornaday. Thats why l like ebay, bought it used it sold it again on ebay, lost 67cents.
    l use to have one:

I see where most prefer to seat and crimp in separate steps (pistol/revolver)....I've done it both ways, using the seater/crimp die and with a separate crimp die...I see no difference in performance either way....does someone have an actual study/facts that separate crimping actually performs better (other than "I think" and "I prefer") and to what degree...I see a lot of "talk" of "shaving" lead bullets if seated/crimped with the seater die, but haven't seen it myself when the seater die is properly set....not starting a fight here, but am sincerely curious....I can't find anything definitive...

Boolit Master

This is just my opinion but I think a lot of the reason seat and crimp with two dies is recommended is for easier adjusting. If your case is flared and die adjusted correct I do not see any difference. If your on a progressive I use separate dies if I have them since it does not make an extra step. If using a single stage I seat and crimp at the same time to save the extra step. Unless I am using a Lee FCD (rifle) since it is different than a standard roll or taper crimp. FB

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    I see where most prefer to seat and crimp in separate steps (pistol/revolver)....I've done it both ways, using the seater/crimp die and with a separate crimp die...I see no difference in performance either way....does someone have an actual study/facts that separate crimping actually performs better (other than "I think" and "I prefer") and to what degree...I see a lot of "talk" of "shaving" lead bullets if seated/crimped with the seater die, but haven't seen it myself when the seater die is properly set....not starting a fight here, but am sincerely curious....I can't find anything definitive...
    Like many things in reloading the answer to the question of seating and crimping is "it depends". If case mouth is crimped into a crimp groove that is ample for the job, then the use of one die is just fine. However is the came mouth is crimped in a tiny groove or onto the side of the bullet body, then there is a good chance lead will be shaved as the last smidge of crimp is applied as the last smidge of the bullets is going into place against the new crimp.

Misunderstanding and conflicts arise when folks globalize or universalize what happens in one scenario to others. The OP is wanting to seat and crimp cast bullets in autopistol rounds. This is one scenario where the use of separate dies is highly recommended. In a sixgun round, not so much.

You always use a combination seating and crimping die AND you always need two separate dies, are both wrong statements. It depends.....
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Like many things in reloading the answer to the question of seating and crimping is "it depends". If case mouth is crimped into a crimp groove that is ample for the job, then the use of one die is just fine. However is the came mouth is crimped in a tiny groove or onto the side of the bullet body, then there is a good chance lead will be shaved as the last smidge of crimp is applied as the last smidge of the bullets is going into place against the new crimp.

Misunderstanding and conflicts arise when folks globalize or universalize what happens in one scenario to others. The OP is wanting to seat and crimp cast bullets in autopistol rounds. This is one scenario where the use of separate dies is highly recommended. In a sixgun round, not so much.

you always use a combination seating and crimping die AND you always need two separate dies, are both wrong statements. It depends.....
    I agree........from what I've read from here and another well known site where I asked the same question, using separate dies for crimping is mostly for ease of set-up, and adjustment....