Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: "Holy Grail"

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma

"Holy Grail"

Is there a "holy grail" when it comes to single-shot rifle barrels? Lot's of different brands of rifles...............most in the same range of prices, but is there a "best" barrel out there?

Boolit Grand Master

I used alot of kriegers when I was shooting highpower Very good barrel maker. Hart used to be the standard and is still very good, Green mountain makes very good barrels also. Pac nor, lilja, shilen, Douglas and wilson are some others. SOme perfer cut rifling some button rifled or broached. ANd there are a few hammer forged out there. Badger made very good barrels but understand they have stopped now. I have used hart krieger Pac nor, lilja, douglas shilen and green mountain all with good results. All you can do is ask around like you are and research the diffrent makers, Talk to them about what they offer if you have questions. Talk to your gunsmith and see what he perfers recomends also.

Boolit Master
    Ron Smith also makes some really nice barrels.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry guys, guess I didn't ask my question in the right way. I'm not looking for a custom barrel maker. I'm asking whether Pendersoli's are better than C. Sharps, or Shiloh Sharps better than Uberti. That kind of "search" for the best barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

A year or so ago C Sharps was using badger and green mountain blanks. Pendersoli, and Shiloh make thier own from bar stock. Not sure about uberti. My new Cpa has Douglas on it. Again getting te right twist rate and countour for what you want to do is more important than who made it. My pendersoli sharps is a very good shooter. The C Sharps hepburn wiyth green mountain barrel is also very accurate. Havent shot the CPA yet due to weather in Ohio. Again talk to them and ask questions as to twist contour / rifle wieght, length and whats available.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, country gent. I'm a total neophyte to all of this "chose your own" stuff. I know I want an 1885 High Wall, with a pistol grip, in .38-55 and want a 30" Octagonal barrel. My purpose is for target and long distant dingers. I've heard comments from those who have C. Sharps, and those who have Pendersoli. Both of those individuals claim exceptional accuracy out of their respective barrels. Both companies have the models I want. I don't know anything about what kind of twist I'd need, but aren't they "fixed" with the particular rifle caliber/brand? Of those two brands, one weighs 9 lb 4 oz, and the other 9 lb 7 oz. It's frustrating how little I know about all of this. Never considered buying a "fancy" rifle before.
    Last edited by Chris C; 02-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.

In rifle barrels as in most things in life, high quality costs more money.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    In rifle barrels as in most things in life, high quality costs more money.

and as in most things in life, more money does not guarantee high quality

but your odds are better
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master

Give C Sharps a call and talk to them there are normally several twist rates available for a given caliber. You need to have an idea of bullet wieght and length you want to shoot and they can guide you in the right direction. I have a 38 caliber 1-14 twist green mountain here thats going on a rolling block. To finish at 30" length. Pendersoli will be what they offer of the shelf. Im not sure what the twist is they are using in 38-55. C Sharps will give you a choice of wieght, contour, twist, grade of wood, length of pull and sights. The drawback to C Sharps and Shiloh is you order it and wait several months for it to be built. Pendersoli dosnt offer the choices but some shops carry them and you walk in do the checks pay your money and walk out. I had C Sharps build my hepburn in 45-90 and its beautiful shoots great and Is just what I wanted. I have a pendersoli Long range sharps ( cabellas model) with 34" barrel half round contour. I upgraded the sights to windgage front and soule long range rear, on top of the original price. Very nice accurate rifle not quite the wood fit or finish of the C Sharps, But still a nice rifle. Send an e-mail to C Sharps asking about the model you are interested in And what you want to do with it, They are knowlegdable and can guideyou in the right direction.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, country gent. I hate to bother them when all I'm doing right now is dreamin'.

Boolit Master
    Put a call in to Harry Pope. Be prepared to wait a while though. I hear he's a couple years behind on his orders.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Give C Sharps a call and talk to them there are normally several twist rates available for a given caliber. You need to have an idea of bullet wieght and length you want to shoot and they can guide you in the right direction. I have a 38 caliber 1-14 twist green mountain here thats going on a rolling block. To finish at 30" length. Pendersoli will be what they offer of the shelf. Im not sure what the twist is they are using in 38-55. C Sharps will give you a choice of wieght, contour, twist, grade of wood, length of pull and sights. The drawback to C Sharps and Shiloh is you order it and wait several months for it to be built. Pendersoli dosnt offer the choices but some shops carry them and you walk in do the checks pay your money and walk out. I had C Sharps build my hepburn in 45-90 and its beautiful shoots great and Is just what I wanted. I have a pendersoli Long range sharps ( cabellas model) with 34" barrel half round contour. I upgraded the sights to windgage front and soule long range rear, on top of the original price. Very nice accurate rifle not quite the wood fit or finish of the C Sharps, But still a nice rifle. Send an e-mail to C Sharps asking about the model you are interested in And what you want to do with it, They are knowlegdable and can guideyou in the right direction.
    I took your advice and wrote them a lengthy message on their site. Told them all I found particularly beautiful and what I wanted to do with the rifle and asked them which rifle they'd recommend and approximately what it might cost.

I know they are busy, so I'll just have to be patient and see what they have to say.

Boolit Buddy
    ^^^ Ordered my CSharps highwall 45/70 in December 2013. Was in my hands 07 February 2014. Not bad for a custom rifle built to my specs. Shoots like a dream it does.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Put a call in to Harry Pope. Be prepared to wait a while though. I hear he's a couple years behind on his orders.
    Who is Harry Pope with?

Boolit Master
    Chris it's a trick. Harry Pope was maybe the most famous of the old time barrel makers. He died a long time ago. Rifles with his barrels are greatly sought after by collectors.

C. Sharps would be a great place to buy an 1885 from. I've got a few of them and really like them.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Chris it's a trick. Harry Pope was maybe the most famous of the old time barrel makers. He died a long time ago. Rifles with his barrels are greatly sought after by collectors.

C. Sharps would be a great place to buy an 1885 from. I've got a few of them and really like them.

Chris.
    Thanks Gunlaker, I really like C. Sharps rifles.

Oh, and it's always fun to be made fun of when you're a newbie on a forum. Always makes one feel welcome. Oh well.