RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ncbs 2014

Boolit Master

I think buying the material and building them Friday afternoon is the way to go.
    I am willing to spring for the cost.
    Hopefully we can get our hands on a skil saw and a cordless drill.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can bring the cordless drill, and a skill saw for that matter and Lagene and I figure on driving down Thursday so we will be there. We are bringing the car this year so space is somewhat limited, but not bad. Do we need tape measure, square, pencil, skirt-I mean apron- level, etc...??? I can bring it if needed. JW

Boolit Master
    I always have a bunch of hand tools in my truck but no electrics. Once I get our luggage offloaded at the room, I will be able to get to them. I can help on Friday morning after breakfast at the Winemmucca Inn about 8 ish.

Boolit Master
    I'm set up to drill .357 holes....
    Loren

On Heaven's Range

Tallman Lumber, right in downtown Winnemucca, will gladly cut plywood for us to desired widths, no charge. No need for a Skilsaw.

In years past, I had them slice a 4x8 particle-board sheet into eight-inch-wide strips eight feet long. This of course yields six pieces, each eight inches by eight feet.

Two of the eight-foot pieces were then cut into two four-foot pieces each, and these became the "feet" of the target "stakes". I THINK I used 5/8" board for the job.

Some scrap bits of board will act as gussets to strengthen the joint between foot and upright. Ask at the yard for possible small pieces for gussets.... thickness won't matter much.

Drywall screws do a good job in holding the rigs together.

Hope to see y'all next week. Cobbmtnmac has graciously agreed to haul my carcass over there. Incidentally, my mobility is seriously limited. I missed-out on meeting a lot of people at the last Shoot I attended because of this factor, so please..... SEEK ME OUT to say 'howdy'!

NOTE: I changed the above dimensions at 2330 hours Pacific time, since my shaky memory was not doing too well earlier. Hope I got it right this time around!
    Last edited by BruceB; 05-11-2014 at 03:02 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

OK, Great Response!

It looks like there will be a few of us there Friday am. I'll look for quilbilly around 8-9a @ the Winnemucca Inn, along with anyone else that can be there. I'm sure we can get BruceB to go with us, as he is the experienced one, he can be our DIRECTOR, and the likes of, quilbilly, JW & I can be the do'ers. Now, I am not meaning to leave out any volunteers for Fri afternoon. So we can pick up the materials and wait for pm assembly, or we can just "Get-R-Done"! Which I can't imagine that this would upset anyone. I know everyone appreciates Idaho Mule and Matt_G's willingness to pay for materials, I'm betting a bunch of us are willing to chip in with a few buck and make it easy on all! Hope this plan has approval by all.
    Last edited by cobbmtmac; 05-11-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Now ,wait a Dxxx second,I thougt I got to paint the stripes.!_!_!__!_!__! Onceabull--(Oh,yeah, I'll be there 8 am or so, Winnemucca Inn...Onceabull )
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master

I won't be there till 1:00 pm for lunch on Friday.
    Seriously doubt I will be early...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

On Heaven's Range

One more item for Thursday or Friday....

Someone with some available room in a truck should run me out to my FORMER home to pick up the steel targets, re-bar etc. Some extra labor would be a great help, too, since I'm basically useless in the physical end of things.

This amounts to several hundred pounds of iron, so really a truck is a good idea. I hope there's a T-post driver still there, but I'm uncertain.

We may want to identify a party who could store the steel until the next Shoot, too. A local member would be best, but.....?

DON'T FORGET A FEW CANS OF CHEAP BLACK SPRAY PAINT!

BTW, stick-on name tags are available inexpensively at most stationery departments in Walmarts, etc.... I think I even found them at the WINNEMUCCA Walmart, last time I looked.
    Last edited by BruceB; 05-11-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey everybody!! With Buck Nowell's help, I will be there for this year's shoot. Let me know how I can assist in getting things set up--I live in Winnemucca and have battery powered drills and saws, as well as a pickup to haul stuff to the range. Also tools at home such as table and band saws and drill press. Bruce B.--I'd be happy to give you a hand with the items you need to retrieve. I'll plan on being at the Griddle by 1:00 on Friday to meet up with the group and arrange work duties.

Tim Janke--AKA--Fast Asleep

Good Golly ,Tim, I had to read through to the sig line to recognize who you were..Hoping you can spend some time at the range with us,too.... Onceabull

Vendor Sponsor
    Thanks to all for pitching in.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I won't make it until late in the afternoon I can't even be certain about the Roolz Dinner at this point . It is pretty likely we'll make the dinner.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I (and wife Lagene) will be driving down on Thursday. She has informed me that we will NOT be bringing the Dutch Oven stuff. I will be bringing a cordless drill though to help with screwing something, or drilling something. We should be there Thurs. evening and recharged enough to help on Friday morning with whatever needs doing. Winnemucca Inn will be our home. See ya'll there. JW

Boolit Buddy
    Ammohead--did you get the stake shoot sorted out? If not, I can build something up per your guidance.

Bruce B.--in addition to helping you retrieve the target materials, I can store them here in Winnemucca for future shoots.

Anything else that I can help with?

Tim Janke

Hey Tim Janke, I want to thank you for volunteering and I think your willingness to store such things as the Pistol stakes would be wonderful!

I'll take the chance we have Ammohead's blessing. I would like to do the stake shoot boards early on Friday. along with quilbilly, Idaho Mule and others like onceabull. Also, BruceB will be with us as Marlene and I will be picking him up in Reno on Thursday, I have about 3#'s of 2 inch screws and a can of orange paint, I will be bringing a couple of portable power drills , one with the proper dill and the other with the proper drill bit. Others have also mentioned that they are bring similar equip.

With the number of folks we have, it should not take long, with Bruce being with us to guide the lumberyard guy to cut the particle board to his speck, then the rest of us will be able to screw them together in moments! So if it OK for me to take charge of this project, it will be done far before we all meet at the Griddle for lunch at 1pm. I know we will have plenty to do Friday afternoon.

One special request, you may have read some bantering back and forth with me and onceabull, about the orange paint stripes, you see he is my brother-in-law, I have known him for over 60 years, actually a little longer than I have known my wife, his sister, as he brought me home to take me dear hunting in the fall of 1954, and there was his lovely and precious sister. (we married in 1958). onceabull is the most knowledgeable person that I and most of us know. Had he been around at the time of Christ and his Disciples, he would have been their Adviser! Now, that being said, he will probably pick up a Screw Driver by the wrong end 3 out of 4 times. So my request, to make him feel a great part of this project! ....Let's let him spray the Orange Stripe on the Pistol Stakes! .....So please know one else touch the Orange paint can.

My forever thanks,
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Are you guys talking about a turn screw??????? Onceabull
    Last edited by onceabull; 05-13-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: talking has seven(7)letters

On Heaven's Range

Tim, I'll echo Mac's thanks.

The steel that we use for targets can just be stored outside, somewhere out of the way. It amounts to several hundred pounds (at least) and is accompanied by a variety of rebar for hanging the gongs.

A slight modification for the rebar frames was revealed to me by quilbilly.

Instead of having to drill holes in sections of steel conduit, just buy some 3/4" plumbing "tees". I suggest trying PLASTIC ones first, because they're much cheaper... a bunch of spares would be a good idea.

Just drive the two uprights, and place a tee on the top of each. Then slip the third piece of rebar THROUGH the two tees....and there's your gong hanger.

If plastic proves too fragile, we'll switch to iron tees. We'll need two tees for each hanging target, so about two dozen would do the job. I will finance the acquisition of the tees.

This is gonna be fun!
    Last edited by BruceB; 05-14-2014 at 12:00 AM.

On Heaven's Range

Incidentally, I'm bringing-along some moulds which are surplus to my needs..maybe fifteen or twenty of them. Some are rather obscure; y'all may want to bring a few extra shekels "just in case".

Also my nice .35 Remington-caliber Marlin Sporting Carbine (20", 2/3 magazine, 1951 production) MIGHT be on the block for the right price..... it has a Lyman steel receiver sight and a 17A front sight, along with its inserts. Condition is VERY nice, maybe 95%. This will be my "Team Rifle" shooter, so possession would not switch until after that "Mad Minute" event.

Boolit Master

Ohhh...moulds.
    I love moulds!
    Matt

44 Special Articles

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast