RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nipples that take small pistol/rifle primers

Boolit Master
    I think Jon still has caps , I have sent a few people his way , he seems to have the stock but is not a site most people know about http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

Boolit Buddy
    Recently I bought 3 new unopened Accra-Shot primer adapters with 1/4x28 threads for my muzzleloaders. I also picked up 1000 Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers and headed to the range. I have to say, I like the nipple very much. The rifle seems to have more of a "crack" with the hot bench rest rifle primers as opposed to the RWS 1075+ #11 caps. Accuracy was as good or maybe a little better. I wasn't having ignition problems with any of my rifles, I simply wanted to try primers and I stumbled upon the Accra-Shots for a great price. It also seems like the powder burns more completely, as there was less fouling left in the bore. I was expecting to have problems getting the spent primers out of it but didn't. I tipped the rifle on its side and they fell out with a couple of taps. I was most certainly pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 01-23-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	185870Federal 205m small rifle

Views:	14 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	185871Federal 210m large rifle

Views:	16 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	185872Remington 7 1/2 small rifle bench rest

Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	185873Remington 9 1/2 large rifle

Boolit Buddy

Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	185874CCI BR4 small rifle

Views:	12 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	185875CCI BR2 large rifle

Banned

Wow… interesting.

I now see why I like CCI. Looks like a nice controlled ignition.

Wonder how Winchesters would measure up?

In Remembrance

I have one of the Dixie gun works adapters on my TC Renagade and have no trouble with it. It uses a spring to hold the primer in place so no unscrewing the top. It works without a missfire with a standard ML hammer. YMMV
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy
    PatMarlin, I'm not sure about Winchester primers. I haven't seen that they make small rifle primers. That doesn't mean they don't though. I have heard that Win large rifle primers are pretty hot because they are designed to ignite ball powders.

Aspangler, I haven't seen the one from DGW. It doesn't have a cap to encase the primer? Interesting. Do you have a picture Of it? I got all3 of them for $24 so I couldn't pass them up.

Boolit Buddy
    There's no caps to be had by me, either, so I just make my own. I use a tap o cap and some prime all powder that I mix up and I have very hot caps. The prime all is actually the old H48 primer mix from the WW1 days. It is very effective, but corrosive.

I see that 22reloader.com is selling clone of the tap o cap for anyone interested.

Banned

How bad is the corrosion? Wondering. Never used corrosive propellent of any kind.

Anyone reloading 22LR? Have to do a search and check that out.

Boolit Buddy
    I also saw where you can use the crushed heads of strike anywhere matches and is use them to remake pistol primers. I'm sure it would probably work for #11 caps.

Boolit Buddy
    I load a lot of 22 LR and caps as well. What happens, is the potassium chlorate in this mix turns into a salt of sorts, and causes corrosion. It is not different that the older surplus ammo with corrosive primers. The trick is, to just use good ole water to rinse it off before regular cleaning. It removes this salt where powder solvents will not. Then it is pretty much cleaning as normal.

I must admit, it is fun to mess with. I have a mold from old west bullet molds that casts the heeled 40 grain 22 LR bullet. I made a sizing die, case mouth expander, and I bought a crimping die. Seating is just done by hand. I use either `1.5 gr of Unique or 700 X. For priming, I made a dipper with a small pistol primer soldered on one end of a stiff piece of wire, and a large rifle on the other. I give a dip of priming powder in the small pistol end.

As far as the percussion caps go, it is just a matter of punching them outa d priming them with a dip of priming powder in the small pistol end. A drop of acetone and a small disc of paper seated on top of that, and wall, a very good cap.

In any case, after dumping the priming powder in either a 22 LR or the cap, it must be wetted with something. I use acetone because it evaporates so fast.

Pat, can I hear those gears or yours turning way over in Wisconsin? Lots of room for potential as far as products go!

Banned

Yep… gears in my head always turnin' (can never shut it off… lol) but I've shied away from combustable components. Just be my luck some dumb as blows hisself up with a primer cup or something made from my dies.

I designed a damn nice set of cap making dies. So far they have remained in my domain on the bench…

Banned

Dropped some nice bullets from a TC 54cal I picked up at a gunshow for $10.. !

Drops like butter. I think it was unused.

Attachment 186428

Attachment 186429

Name:	SharpsPressDrill.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	186433
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 01-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a mag spark & really like it. Shotgun primers so much cheaper also. BUT most of my uses for #10 & #11 caps are for my revolvers.
    I use a lot more caps shooting those.

Fly

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    How bad is the corrosion? Wondering. Never used corrosive propellent of any kind.

Anyone reloading 22LR? Have to do a search and check that out.
    I'm not sure why people have a problem with corrosive propellants in primers for BP. The powder used is corrosive in it's self so the point seems moot. Someone here posted about soaking the toy paper caps in water for one minute. Then scraping the powder from like 5 caps increments and letting it dry. Then using that as the propellant to make caps and having good results.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Dropped some nice bullets from a TC 54cal I picked up at a gunshow for $10.. !

Drops like butter. I think it was unused.

Attachment 186428

Attachment 186429

Name:	SharpsPressDrill.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	186433
    What the heck is this Pat?

Banned

That's my secret weapon for the 1859 sharps I'm working on…

It allows me to use and set my OAL on any 54 cal cast bullet (not just a Christmas Tree), in a cartridge case so I can take preloaded cartridges to the range and work on load development. Resurrecting Berdan's Sharp Shooter sniper rifle with some new high tech help… lol

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone out there seen a black powder nipple that takes a larger rifle primer? I had one but lost it then I was hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you talking #11 rifle primer or musket cap nipple?
    Aim small, miss small!

There was an adaptation to the Mag-Spark devices that enabled the use of regular metallic cartridge primers (in lieu of 209's).
    The ones I have are 1/4-24 thread for use with TC rifles and M6x.75 thread for use with the Lyman GPR / GPH and some other foreign guns, and both type use 209 primers.

Something to note about the metric thread Mag-Sparks, I got one to use in a fast twist forty caliber Great Plains Rifle.
    And it didn't fit my rifle.
    Then I found out that there are actually different nipple lengths for GPR's depending upon when your rifle was manufactured.

That GPR had been bought second hand, long after the initial purchase, and then rebarreled to .40 bore.
    So, there you go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12