Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: lots of Lead and don't know what to do?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I'm jealous all I have is the garage and have to share that with wifey's car
    I let my wife park in the Garage if a Storm is coming or if it is going to be super super cold.. Other than that.. Nope. I don't like cleaning up the salt all over the floor from our roads. I also don't like her to park to close to the house because I open the door of the Garage and blow a fan out the door when I spray with my Hvlp Gun to do finishes or paint or whatever. I don't want to get it on the Car.

Moose, there is a subforum right here with lot's of info on paperpatching. Read the stickies.

Boolit Master
    Hello Moose, Wish I had seen your question earlier.
    Your original post said you had lots of lead shot mixed in. I have found that lead shot is usually too hard for my purposes and is quite brittle but it is great when mixed with pure soft lead for controlling the hardness of your alloy. Currently I am using 60% pure and 40% hard chilled shot (a little tin added as well) for most of my target shooting but it is still a little hard for getting expansion when hunting.
    I would recommend you separate out some of that shot rather than melting it all together and experiment with any of the soft pure you might be also able to separate out. This is a little like alchemy where you turn lead to gold (a good alloy is gold at the target range).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    Moose, there is a subforum right here with lot's of info on paperpatching. Read the stickies.
    I have used the Search bar up above on the right and not found alot? I google it and it will take me to a thread on this forum. that I couldn't find with the search bar.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Hello Moose, Wish I had seen your question earlier.
    Your original post said you had lots of lead shot mixed in. I have found that lead shot is usually too hard for my purposes and is quite brittle but it is great when mixed with pure soft lead for controlling the hardness of your alloy. Currently I am using 60% pure and 40% hard chilled shot (a little tin added as well) for most of my target shooting but it is still a little hard for getting expansion when hunting.
    I would recommend you separate out some of that shot rather than melting it all together and experiment with any of the soft pure you might be also able to separate out. This is a little like alchemy where you turn lead to gold (a good alloy is gold at the target range).
    here is a question for you.. you say hard chilled shot.. are you saying to chill your shot ingot? If so once you melt it won't it just get the same properties it had before? I would like to have some expansion that is for sure. Howeve I realize it being a 458 I don't really need it. But I don't need a lot of things. I want it...

Boolit Bub
    You probably will get all the info that you need to get started right here, and I'm no pro at casting, but I do live about 15 min east of KC and would be happy to help you in your casting and smelting. If that is something you would be interested in?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbnick View Post
    You probably will get all the info that you need to get started right here, and I'm no pro at casting, but I do live about 15 min east of KC and would be happy to help you in your casting and smelting. If that is something you would be interested in?
    I will PM you..

Quote Originally Posted by moose0011 View Post
    I have used the Search bar up above on the right and not found alot? I google it and it will take me to a thread on this forum. that I couldn't find with the search bar.
    No need to use a search function, just scroll down on the Forum page to Smokeless paperpatching.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    No need to use a search function, just scroll down on the Forum page to Smokeless paperpatching.
    You just opened up a Whole New World... I hadn't saw that place yet. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    ? If your using an alloy is a HP pointless? I know alot of people hate alloy HP boolits on here. However I am a Varminter and I like doing it long range. So please forgive me if you hate them I am just trying to learn.. but if your alloy is to hard it will not expand or anything you just loose weight correct? and Flat points are Very destructive as they drive through and animal..?

Boolit Master
    If you start talking HPs on here you need to break out the popcorn if you like popcorn while you watch the fights. Strong opinions on both sides.
    With my alloy at my velocity with my hunting style they work great. My 311041 has two pins. One is small and 1/4" long for deer hunting. The other is huge and goes to the crimp grove. It's for coyote hunting and I want it to blow apart on impact.
    My alloy is too malleable right now. It just flattens out and blows a big hole out the other side. I've been going to pour some harder and push them faster but haven't got around to it yet. I'm bad to not fix anything that's not completely broke. Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    If you start talking HPs on here you need to break out the popcorn if you like popcorn while you watch the fights. Strong opinions on both sides.
    With my alloy at my velocity with my hunting style they work great. My 311041 has two pins. One is small and 1/4" long for deer hunting. The other is huge and goes to the crimp grove. It's for coyote hunting and I want it to blow apart on impact.
    My alloy is too malleable right now. It just flattens out and blows a big hole out the other side. I've been going to pour some harder and push them faster but haven't got around to it yet. I'm bad to not fix anything that's not completely broke. Woody

Thank you Wolfer.. But I know there are all kinds of opinions. I don't need opinions.. I read one guy on here posted a question about HP vs FP and one guy wrote basically that he looses respect because someone because of the bullet they choose. I was like wow. We are all on the same side here. so I am honestly asking if the hollow point is to hard it will just punch through and not expand and break up right? I would be interested in your mold however for my 06.. who makes that mold and are you paper patching? what is hardness of your lead or alloy? also at what speed are you pushing it. What is the twist of your rifle?

Welcome to the wonderful world of casting Moose. This is a great site with lots of info. I started casting myself some 10yrs ago. Its alot like reloading, it looks and sounds alot harder than it really is. I know this, its alot fun, I never get tired of dropping out some nice bullets. I did notice only one person hit on safty. Eye protection,long sleeve shirt,jeans at least,carhart pants better,and boots, heavy leather gloves and an escape route. I was sitting down melting over the pot and a drop of sweat hit the pot,it was like the forth of july with hot lead. When I jumped to get out of the way I ran over my box fan. Ah the devil is in the details. Well heres hoping you cast many a good bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of casting Moose. This is a great site with lots of info. I started casting myself some 10yrs ago. Its alot like reloading, it looks and sounds alot harder than it really is. I know this, its alot fun, I never get tired of dropping out some nice bullets. I did notice only one person hit on safty. Eye protection,long sleeve shirt,jeans at least,carhart pants better,and boots, heavy leather gloves and an escape route. I was sitting down melting over the pot and a drop of sweat hit the pot,it was like the forth of july with hot lead. When I jumped to get out of the way I ran over my box fan. Ah the devil is in the details. Well heres hoping you cast many a good bullet.
    thanks you sir.. I would hope everyone doing this would be smart enough to realize water vapor and hot metal are bad. I couldn't agree more with an escape route I think that is often overlooked on alot of things. I believe it is that and complacency that really bite people hard.. Thank you for the tip. I hope other newbies read this as well..

Boolit Master
    My 30 cal is a Lyman 311041 it drops at .309 I wouldent mind if it was a little bigger but it shoots good in all my rifles. I sent it to Eric at hollow point mold service to have one cavity HP with two pins.
    My alloy is pretty soft, about 10 bhn and I shoot these at 1700+ in my 30-06,30-30 and 30-40 Krag. If bone is hit the HP certainly isn't necessary but it gives me a little more confidence if bone is not hit or at extended ranges.
    I don't get the catastrophic damage I see other people here get. I believe because I'm probably running 300 fps slower. I'm not sure I just know they work good for me and I'll continue to use them.

I think it would be difficult to get a HP hard enough that it wouldent open if pushed at suitable velocity. I've never shot Linotype but I understand it's bad to shatter when cast solid. I suspect with my large HP pushed above 2000 fps it would be a coyote killing machine. Not a fur gun though.
    My rifles are all 10" twist. I haven't had any luck paper patching. I believe it because I take a boolit that fits, wrap it with paper and size it to the same size it was. I can assure you this won't work.
    I do have good luck with paper patch in my muzzle loader. But my boolit casts .499 and my groove is .5035
    Some day I'm going to get me a correct sized mold and give PP a serious go.
    These are just my opinions and there worth about what they cost. Woody

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    One time when I was smelting some WWs and the temp was well below freezing I set the cold muffin pan on the frozen floor, grabbed my pot with the handle and a pair of pliers and started pouring. I guess it condensated because all of a sudden it looked like Christmas.

Bent over like I was the pot was in front of my face? It was about the only spot on me that wasn't covered in lead.

In not really joking with my signature.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    One time when I was smelting some WWs and the temp was well below freezing I set the cold muffin pan on the frozen floor, grabbed my pot with the handle and a pair of pliers and started pouring. I guess it condensated because all of a sudden it looked like Christmas.

Bent over like I was the pot was in front of my face? It was about the only spot on me that wasn't covered in lead.

In not really joking with my signature.
    How bad where you hurt?

I would only go half full that way it will be good to carry. That will make a lot of bullets. Lyman and LEE makes mold for your to make the ingots.

Boolit Master
    It was cold and I was dressed for it. Wasn't hurt at all.

Boolit Buddy
    That is great to hear... And Thanks AABEN I have found me some ingot molds.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast