RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: ...in for a penny..in for a pound

Boolit Mold

...in for a penny..in for a pound

Gone and done it now. Loaded up my 1st batch of FFg black 45-70 rounds. Plan to participate (as opposed to compete) in a regional Buffalo Rifle match later this month. Tried out my homemade 30" drop tube on 65gr of Goex FFg compressed about 10% under a 20.1 alloy from a Lyman 457125 dropped at about 510gr. Launcher is a 34" barrel Uberti (Pedersoli) 1874 Sharps. Expect to learn much and take a lot of ribbing from the company assembled.

Oh and I remembered to make a blow tube also.

John

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by swampsavage View Post
    65gr of Goex FFg compressed about 10% under a 20.1 alloy from a Lyman 457125 dropped at about 510gr.
    Sounds like a useful starting load. Rifle might even take to it from the start.
    Rather than work in percentages, you'll probably (eventually) want to figure your compression in inches.

Gently snuggle a wad down flat on a drop-tubed charge, and measure the distance from the wad to the mouth of the case.
    Then, after you have run it through the compression die, measure again.

The difference is your amount of compression.

When you get to around .300 inches of compression (in a .45), you are getting up into the range that Goex is said to perform best in.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    glad to see you joining in the bp long range game // some advice from expeirence first just have fun learn as you go along// there is no one good load for bpcr each gun has its own favirote just take your time shoot alot and you will find what your rifle likes best/////mule

Well SS I too am sorta just startin this LR comp and was just gonna do a post like yours. I shoot CAS and 2 clubs starting this year will be having long range(100-500yds) matches every month so I dusted off my RB and started fooling with BP again and thanks to this forum I think THIS time I might have more fun (IE:better luck).

This Forum has been a great help for me.

Boolit Master

in for at least a pound

You may get hooked on the BPCR game. Don't know what your accuracy expectations are for the rifle/load. But once you explore and tune with the straight, lubed lead, might think about trying the paper jacket- in for a penny and then a few more pounds

Boolit Master
    Your starting load is one I started with in my Shiloh Sharps long range express. It works quite well in my rifle. I did find that by loading a couple grains less powder improved my accuracy at least in my rifle I now use 62 gr of FFG GOEX a .030 vegi wad and Winchester large rifle primers in Remington Brass.

Boolit Mold
    ...don't know why I'm starting out with 65gr ffG but think i remembered it from somewhere. It's measured, not weighed, as I need to get some rounds made up fairly quick. I don't have any bench time prior to the match so this outing is just for the fun of it and a chance to meet some of the real buffalo shooters. When I do get some range time later I'll delve into the alchemy of it all. Also using Remington brass and Winchester primers so it sounds like I might be on the right track there. (true confession - didn't use any wads in the 1st 20 rounds I loaded - have .030 and .060 so may try them with the next batch and use the wadless for fouling shots)
    John

NRA Life
    NRA Endowment
    NRA Golden Eagles
    Veteran Army '65-'69

Boolit Master
    Swampsavage,

And get yourself a Slip-on or shoulder strap type Recoil pad. makes shooting all day comfortable.

Have Fun Shooting,
    Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Well I spent yesterday at the range using paper at 85-90 yds. My loads were all using the DD PRS 385 boolit, Starline brass, CCI rifle primers with 20 rounds loaded w/ 40grn uncompressed FFG and bout 15grn grits no wad. Next was the 55grn uncompressed FFG with a .030 wad. Lastly I had 5 rnds with 65grn FFG compressed w/ .030 wad.
    With the first two loads I shot paper getting good(for me) groups of about 1.5-3" Then I went for the steel plate , its at about 280' out and 50-75' up in a draw. The first 5 shots were kinda wasted cause I thought I'd be tricky with the elevation adjustment ....wrong shoulda left it as it was. Anyways with blow tubing between shots I had very frustrating results. I did put 5 on steel when the smoke cleared which for me was a real improvement....