Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .45ACP mold works best??

Boolit Mold

Which .45ACP mold works best??

Which .45acp mold have you guys had the most success with?

Boolit Master

Accuracy? You're going to hear HG68 (200gr SWC) and assorted clones of same quite a bit. That's the gold standard match bullet.

Engine of destruction? We just started a group buy with MP Molds for a clone of the 452423 (being done as 454423), which is Elmer Keith's .45ACP/Auto Rim slug (240-ish grain SWC). It's got a RIDONKULOUS meplat (@ .34"). Some experience feed issues, some don't. Attacking the science of that will be my project when that one arrives.

I chose the Accurate 45-230F as a compromise between feeding and large frontal area (.30"). Has a side profile similar to hardball.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

What do you want it to do?
    Punch paper - I like either Lyman 452460 or the H&G 68 designs or clones there of...
    Feed well but hit harder than round nose like for steel - I like a 230 grn Truncated Cone
    Hunting - I use a 250 SWC design with extra power recoil spring.
    What are you trying to get you 45 to do?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I want something in the 200-230gr. range but want one that has no feeding problems. Just going to be plinking but like a flat nose bullet.

Use an old round nose 230, quarter size groups at 25 yards. Would have went with a wad cutter, but was worried about feed problems, so went the safe bet. 800-X moves them at 900ishFPS
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    For me its the 452460. My wife found an old 4 cav 452460 someplace so she bought it pretty cheap. Its in a cardboard box that looks like an american cheese box. Its the easiest casting mold I own, perfect fill out measuring .4535, and when you open the mold they just fall out with no shaking. I bought the same mold in a single cavity just for the handles. Its a hard caster and will wear you out trying to get fill out and lots of shaking to get them to drop. Big difference in nose profile also. Either one functions and shoots good in my 1911.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Do yourself a favor and get a MiHec Brass 4 Cav. H&G 68 clone! SWEET Mold and THE best tried and true design ever in the 45 ACP!!! This is the "World According to Sea Giant, of course!!!"
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Before I started pouring my own I was given somewhere around 6 or so one pound coffee cans full of the HG# 130, which from what ever alloy the person used came out at 195grs verses the 185 listed. These have been VERY accurate and feed like teflon through my 1911.

Then I picked up one of the actual HG #130 molds for myself as well as adding in the MP 452-200. Having shot them both side by side using various charges of Unique, AA-2, and Bullseye, there is little discernible difference in the small groups they produce even out to 25yds.

For heavier I have used the Lee 200gr, the 230grTL, and even the 255grRF, also the MP 452640 Cramer which drops right about 260grs with the large round HP pin. I don't shoot a regular amount of the heavies, but they do shoot well and function fine.

Pick one and adjust your loads for accuracy, they all seem to shoot very well from both of my Colt 1911's. If you experience feeding issues check the lip of your magazine, and/or play with your seating depth just a touch, and usually this will get things moving in the right direction. There is a TON of data out there for the 185 through 230gr loads for which you should be able to find a suitable powder and very accurate load.

Hope this helps.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Banned
    Your going to get a 100 different answers here because of what some members have read in magazines but not necessarily had experience with. Most will tell you
    that H&G68 is the way to go without having touched off a round with a 68 in it.

Well, I'm going to say something different and I'm going to tell you that different guns/different barrels work better with specific bullets. Loads have a heck of a lot to do with accuracy. I have done well with the 68 and good with the 452460, 452374. I have done better with the magma 230-235 RN bullet and their 185 and 200 gr SWC.

I find that you have to work up a load in order to get accuracy and its not as simple as which bullet is more accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

By far I have run more Lee 45 230grain TL boolits through my 45s than any other. Lubed with 45-45-10.
    I have experienced best accuracy with the H&G #68 SWC.

Best powders for the job? Unique, bullseye, Hodgdon Clays, and 700X.
    I really like 700X. Gives a real nice push.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-05-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

The Best

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Your going to get a 100 different answers here because of what some members have read in magazines but not necessarily had experience with. Most will tell you
    that H&G68 is the way to go without having touched off a round with a 68 in it.

Well, I'm going to say something different and I'm going to tell you that different guns/different barrels work better with specific bullets. Loads have a heck of a lot to do with accuracy. I have done well with the 68 and good with the 452460, 452374. I have done better with the magma 230-235 RN bullet and their 185 and 200 gr SWC.

I find that you have to work up a load in order to get accuracy and its not as simple as which bullet is more accurate.
    ^^^^^^ I have 9 different moulds, been casting for 5 years and am still looking for 'The Best' .45 ACP boolit.

Banned
    In my 1911 TACPAC Sig Sauer the Magma 230-235 RN works best. Works better than the 68 does. Load is 5.6 gr of 231.

In my Colt officers it tends to like the Magma 185 and 200 with 5.2 gr of 231. Accuracy with the 68 is about the same.

Add 231 to the list of good 45acp powders

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    ^^^^^^ I have 9 different moulds, been casting for 5 years and am still looking for 'The Best' .45 ACP boolit.
    The best may be determined with different power type and or powder load . There is no "BEST" it is a simple matter of what seems to work in the gun first and they play with the powder type and load.

I've been casting over 40 years and am ALWAYS looking to work up the best load. The load that is most accurate in ONE gun will not necessarily be the best in your second, third, or forth 45acp.

My 45's don't seem to be accurate with any Lee bullets where as one poster here has had good luck. Each gun is different. I have seen identicle models makes shoot different with the same load with the same shooter.

Banned
    My suggestion is this...before you rush out and spend all your money on a specific mold that you purchase 100 bullets from a friend and or board member and try to work up a load. If you for instance work up a good load with a Lee mold then purchase that mold. I also suggest that you slug your barrel so you know the bore size which is helpful when it comes to sizing the bullet and for that matter IF you have a mold made.

I hate to mention this but there are some people that absolutely cannot accurately shoot their 45acp. Some fall in this group but are unwilling to accept the fact.

Boolit Master

The only 45ACP mold I have is a 452460.
    I haven`t found a need to buy something different.....dale

Boolit Master

My vote goes to with the Lyman 452460 and 452374.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

bhn22
    Lbt 45-230 lfn:
    Attachment 95703

Boolit Master
    What firearm(s) are you shooting?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by phantom15 View Post
    I want something in the 200-230gr. range but want one that has no feeding problems. Just going to be plinking but like a flat nose bullet.
    You pretty much exactly described why I bought the Accurate 45-230F. It's tapered like hardball with the nose chopped back, but not so far that the actual nose makes contact with the barrel during the feeding cycle. From the side it resembles SXT, Golden Saber, HST, etc... The slight SWC shoulder gives a little extra clearance in the mag well for a 1911's slide stop. If your gun feeds hardball, it's not likely to know the difference.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I agree with seagiant....the Mihec 200gr H&G clone, 4 cavity brass mold is the best mold I have in my collection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast