Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLR problem

BLR problem?

Hello Folks,

Last night I got a brand new Browning BLR in 358 Winchester. I cocked it and checked the trigger pull (nice!), and worked the action with the hammer back a few times. Then I propped it up where I could admire it while my wife and I watched TV.

Today when I got home from work I went straight to the BLR and worked the action. What a mess! It felt terrible. I immediately recognized that the hammer was not being pushed to cock, and the hammer was rubbing on the teeth on the bottom of the bolt. I checked several times, bringing the bolt back to where the cam/lump was directly on top of the hammer, and it was not engaging the sear. I could use my fingertip to push very lightly on the hammer, and I would hear a click as the sear engaged. No amount of coaxing would get the action to operate correctly.

My questions are:

1. Are BLRs known to be susceptible to timing issues like this one? I've heard rumors that they are, but never believed Browning would put a flawed design on the market.

2. If I can get my money back, should I avoid the BLR and get a different rifle?

Thanks for your help.

Take care, Tom

P.s., I've never even chambered a round in this rifle.
    Last edited by Tatume; 02-04-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Boolit Mold

Blr

I have a BLR in .257 Roberts I bought new in the late 80's and have never had any problems with it. I would call Browning asap and see what they say, I'm sure they will make it right.

Moderator Emeritus

It worked fine, you left it propped against a wall and now it isn't OK? What happened in between? I cannot think timing would be effected even if your wife beat attackers with it. Not something I have experienced with either of my BLR's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    If you Google problems with the Browning BLR, you'll see a lot of references to current production rifles. It's a proven design from a quality firm. Not clear why there are problems now. My early 80's BLR 81 in .308 is my favorite mountain rifle. Way more accurate than any rifle with a two piece stock should be.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It worked fine, you left it propped against a wall and now it isn't OK? What happened in between? I cannot think timing would be effected even if your wife beat attackers with it. Not something I have experienced with either of my BLR's.
    As I said, "I cocked it and checked the trigger pull (nice!), and worked the action with the hammer back a few times." It wasn't until the next day that I operated the lever/bolt with the hammer down, depending on the mechanism to cock the action.

Boolit Master
    I still own one from the era where the mag protruded from the bottom and have experience with the newer editions. They are in my opinion very reliable and not going to change timing without disassembly. Something is really cockeyed, you need to talk to Browning. They are responsive and reputable.

Don't try to take it apart. Just send it to browning. Never met anyone who could put one back together.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

So who knocked it over onto the hammer while you were gone?

My pre-81 has operated perfectly since new.

Boolit Master
    I bet someone who didn't know what they were doing, took the gun apart and then didn't line the teeth in the bolt properly. I've heard it said, as others have posted here in this thread, this design is a bugger to get back together properly
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Shuz,

The gun was new in the box, from a major distributor to a retail seller. The gun was never disassembled, nor even fired. Brand new. The problem with the gun is the cam/lump that pushes down the hammer to engage the sear. It does not push the hammer far enough to engage the sear.

The distributor has been asked to replace the defective gun with a new one.

Take care, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    So who knocked it over onto the hammer while you were gone?
    My pre-81 has operated perfectly since new.
    Speedo,

Nobody damaged the gun. The gun was brand new, in the box. It was defective as produced by Browning/Miroku. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Take care, Tom

If it is new then send it to Browning! They can fix it and probably will do it for free. If you or someone tries and can't Then you will pay.

Bearcove,

The distributor has been asked to replace the defective gun with a new one.

Take care, Tom

There you go , not your problem to fix it.

Well, my question really was, do I want another one? That is, are these rifles delicate flowers and prone to failure? People who have them seem to like them though, and I'm going to give Browning another chance. The distributor has shipped a replacement rifle.

I would rather rechamber a 35 rem marlin to 356 rimless. I can tear it down an repair it. The BLR's are nice but, NOT FIELD repairable

The 356 Rimless article by Ron Carmichael was an interesting one, wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Don't try to take it apart. Just send it to browning. Never met anyone who could put one back together.
    Yes you have. We got one in a couple years ago in pieces and I had to figure out how to get it to work. Those things are TOUGH to work on! They must have the same engineers who designed that bloody single shot. They try to make things as complicated as possible just because they can.

-Nobade

LOL! If I have one in pieces someday I'll remember that!

Boolit Master
    I've carried the BLR, Savage 99, and Marlin levers -1895, 444,336; the early steel BLR in .358, .243, and .308 ran great, a Lightning BLR .300 Win Mag seemed fine, a Lightning BLR Stainless Camo was a jammatic. It has to be wet to function. IT came back from Browning with the same problem. When degreased for cold weather the action absolutely would not open. It took penetrating oil to get things moving. It is great disappointment. I no longer touch anything with Browning on it. All the BLR's were accurate, but left in a saddle scabbard to get dusty the got miserable to operate. They are probably fine for range plinking, sitting in blinds, or the two week a year deer hunter, anyone who spends a great deal of time in comfortable conditions.. As a rifle to keep in the dust and dirt of a truck while engaged in other activities, the Marlins and Savage 99's are better. I hunt elk with a 1980 Marlin 1895 .45-70 or a Savage 99 .358 Win, my farm rifle is either a Marlin .30-30 or Savage 99 .300. My uses a Savage 99 in .243 for antelope. The Savage 99's and Marlin levers can shoot MOA with careful load tinkering. I would not trust a Browning BLR up high in bad weather, hunting seasons are too short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast