Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NOE 41mag LFN 230gr

Boolit Grand Master

NOE 41mag LFN 230gr

I was finally able to get the mold and put it to good use. I washed it with soap, cleaned with brake cleaner and hear cycled it a few times. After that I started to cast with it. Initially I was getting lots of wrinkled bullets despite preheating it. The first 10 throws with it went back in the pot, but before no time, I was getting beautiful boolits. I ended up casting 200 or so.

After cooling, they were sized to .411 and lubed with LBT blue. I took 20 and weighted them. I got from 229.8-230.6 with average of 230.2 which was fine by me.

I wanted a soft shooting load, so I loaded up 50 for testing. I used starline brass, 6.5gr of 231 and crimped at the top of the crimp groove for an OAL of 1.685" This cycled just ok in my marlin. I'd like to get the OAL to 1.660 or so. I may try to snag some 41 special brass the next time Starline has some to keep my OAL down in my marlin.

Accuracy was average to better than average out of my SBH Hunter, Redhawk and BH I took out that day. Approx 2-3" at 25yds. I'd like to cut that in half.

Velocity was averaging 870fps out of my 4-5/8" BH, and 930fps out of the SBH and RH. Nice easy shooting, but the extreme spread was around 40. Needs more powder I guess to shrink those ES. I'm gonna try a healthy dose of 2400 and perhaps some TB next.

The boolit shows good promise.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the report Doc. Did you cast flat point of HP???

Boolit Master
    I wanna see groups! Ill be shooting this boolit vicariously thru you guys. I dont have my .41 mag yet....
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    Thanks for the report Doc. Did you cast flat point of HP???
    I purchased a 4C PB mold. No HP. Maybe next time. I've been spoiled with the Cramer molds and typically only get HP molds if from MiHec. Not that the others are bad or inferior. Just preferences.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I wanna see groups! Ill be shooting this boolit vicariously thru you guys. I dont have my .41 mag yet....
    Will do if I quit getting error reports when I try to upload to the CastBoolits website. Haven't got around to photobucket....yet.