WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sporterized 303

Boolit Buddy
    The front sight threads are stripped in one of the holes. Still need to address that.

What do u guys think about floating the barrel? Seems like a good idea, but the original stock would have had a barrel band. I just have a little wood touching at the very front of the forearm.

That should be about it for the hard work. Just leaves working up a load. Any suggestions for my 183 lee bullet?

Boolit Mold
    In my very limited experience, 16 grains of 2400 pushed a lee 185 to 1350ish. 18 grains will get you right around 1600ish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    I was thinking bout plugging it, but managed to get all the thick stuff out with the chore boy method, and the barrel looks great. Still pushing patches thru to get the last of it. Between cleanings I was touching up the receiver/trigger guard blueing. Next step is to shoot it. It came w a box of PMC ammo so I'll go thru that before I go to the corrosive/berdan stuff.
    Never quite understood the corrosive ammo bugaboo crowd, there is no harm done while firing. Just mop bore well with water after shooting, then finish cleaning as normal, job done.

Boolit Mold
    ...and way easier to clean a bolt action than a semi.

Boolit Mold
    Mattd - nice project for a handsome rifle. Those 303s used to be easy to find, and inexpensive to buy when found, but the passage of years has altered the economics. But not the quality of the rifles themselves. I recall your mentioning a possible oval bore. Did that turn out OK - perhaps just a differential in the bore's oil coating?

While I never used cast in mine [first was a #5 jungle carbine, and later a Savage 2-groove and another #5], I wish I had taken the time and effort. I did shoot some WWII corrosive in the 50s and 60s, but the Hoppes No. 9 of the day seemed to leave barrels and bolts well cleaned.

Best to you,

Dyson

Boolit Grand Master

My computer says your attachments are invalid. Do they disappear that fast?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    My computer says your attachments are invalid. Do they disappear that fast?
    Their back now. I saw them today not too long ago. But when I just looked they were gone from the attachments folder in my profile. Should have lots of space left.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aletheuo View Post
    In my very limited experience, 16 grains of 2400 pushed a lee 185 to 1350ish. 18 grains will get you right around 1600ish.
    Been looking for 2400 for months. Tried AA#9 in place of it in a few calibers w less then great results. The cast in military article calls out RL7 so I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Never quite understood the corrosive ammo bugaboo crowd, there is no harm done while firing. Just mop bore well with water after shooting, then finish cleaning as normal, job done.
    I'll shoot mine up. But I have a good pile of brass and a new mold so it might be awhile before I get back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
    I recall your mentioning a possible oval bore. Did that turn out OK - perhaps just a differential in the bore's oil coating?
    It is more at the muzzle. Too many steel cleaning rods down the wrong end probably. Might try the brass screw head and lapping compound crowning method.

Boolit Buddy
    Got it put back together and took it to an old school smith in an old school shop (shed) to have him fix the stripped front site hole. His shop is about the size of a cubicle and he chain smokes. My gun smells like s**t. Stinking up my whole basement. I stunk after 5 min in there. He charged $30, which is proly on the high side of what I was expecting, but he had to use an oversize screw and turn the head to fit. Did a good job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	100432

I painted the rear site to cover the scratches and where I had sanded. It came out really glossy. Rubbed it with birchwood casey stock sheen and it matches almost perfect. Better then in the pic.

Views:	44 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	100433

Boolit Buddy
    Some more pics....

Views:	47 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	100620

Views:	46 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	100621

Views:	44 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	100622
    Last edited by mattd; 03-26-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Views:	33 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	100623

Views:	30 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	100624

The middle bottom of the mag must be a diff metal. Didnt blue with cold blue or alum blue.

Views:	31 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	100625
    Last edited by mattd; 03-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a dummy with the lee bullet. Still measuring 313-3145. They are long along the seems so alignment is a little out. Will play w pins.

This one is loaded to COL of 2.995. I think it will like 3.000+, but that puts the neck into the rear grease groove, so we'll see what happens. At 3+ I had rifling on the bands, but not the nose. Noses are 3025-304.

Views:	32 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	100626
    Last edited by mattd; 03-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just finished casting a bunch of the Lee 303 boolits to try in my 1942 BSA No.4mk.I. Have the .314 sizer and gas checks , just need some decent weather and a little time.
    Going to try 13 grains of Red Dot (C.E. Harris recomended load) with this boolit should be around 1550 to1600 fps.
    I was expecting the bore to be oversized, as are most, but I slugged it 3 different times and measured it 3 different ways and it keeps measuring .312! Wasn't expecting that. Couldn't find the Lyman mould for blood or money so I did as you and ordered a Lee, going to size to .314 and hope for the best.
    I'm watching to see how your's does with this boolit...good luck.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Pics gone again. Not sure whats up. Will work on em.

Boolit Buddy
    Pics should be back now. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. They work for a few hours, and then just dissapear....from the post and from my profile.

Boolit Buddy
    Went to range today. Didnt do too good at 50 yards. Had 20 rounds w 28-31g of 4064 and 20 w 25-28g of RL7. Loaded to 3.011 OAL, which printed riffling on the front band.

28g of 4064 on the right, 29 on the left. 5 shots each

Views:	40 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	100750

30g of 4064 on left, 31g on right

Views:	34 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	100751

25 and 26 of RL7, all over the place. Aiming at the 2 squares on the left side that are hit.

Views:	32 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	100752

27 and 28 of RL7, on the left target 27g is the 5 on the right. 28g is on the left and missing a hole

Views:	33 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	100753

I ended up getting a 314 lees sizer and they all passed easy thru it, with maybe a shinny spot on the seams. Had trouble measuring my 5 groove bore, but thought it was smaller then 314. So you guys think its the Lee bullet? With my eyes I wouldn't expect much more then 2 inches at 50 yards, and that's bout what the factory stuff did. Guess the next step is a chamber cast?

2 positive things....no leading, bore looks great. And my berdan turned boxer brass held up well....no gas leak around the primers. It was the RL7 in those.
    Last edited by mattd; 03-28-2014 at 10:22 PM.

how loose is the bore riding section of that Lee .312 in your muzzle, I suspect that boolit is too small. I thought the 314299 shot pretty well in my Enfields until I tried a couple different 316 boolits.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Take your Lee bullet and size it to .305 or .306 and paper patch it out to .316 with two wraps of tracing paper with the patch well up toward the ogive. Bet it shoots then, especially if you use some slower powder. I would reccoment Reloader 15 or Reloader 19 if you can find them. If not, Imr 4350.

My rule of thumb for paper patching is, if it touch's the inside of the barrel, cover it with paper. No leading that way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    how loose is the bore riding section of that Lee .312 in your muzzle, I suspect that boolit is too small.
    It fits tight. This is as far as it goes in with decent amount of finger pressure. Engraves the radius going into the straight part of the nose pretty good.

Views:	40 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	100837

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast