Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: sporterized 303

Boolit Buddy

sporterized 303

i've always had a sporterized surplus project in the back of my mind, but havent found a gun worthy of butchering. then this came up on armslist, and i'm meeting him this afternoon....http://www.armslist.com/posts/264520...03-sporterized (not sure when he'll close the listing).

even tho i dont have a rifle yet, i've got hundreds of old live 303 rounds, a set of Hornady dies, and this is cheaper then i see most enfields. it takes my project dreams away, but i like it!

what do you guys think? anything i should keep an eye out for?

I like it..... Better get er quick... Before somebody else (me) grabs it...lol. Just kidding.

Boolit Grand Master
    mattd

Next question is what is the condition of the bore ? ?

AND.........what are the dimesions inside the bore of the rifle ? The dimensions of the bores in WW II British military rifles have a tendency to wander all over the place.

Those two factors will have a lot to do with the happy factor once you become the owner.

If the rifle were a 1903-A3 sporter the predictability of the bore dimensions would be much better.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    i doubt he's gonna let me hammer a slug thru prior to purchase, but if i have to re-barrel, it wont be super expensive and i'd have my project back!

Boolit Grand Master
    True.

Nice looking Enfield. The bore would have to be pretty bad to not shoot reasonably. It is easier to get a mould made to fit the bore than rebarrel and try to fit a mould.

In Remembrance

Do not pass GO......go directly to sale and grabbit! Here's one I got for cheaper: the bore is new and shoots like a dream. Very easy to load cast for. Best in mine is 24.0grs. IMR 4198 and the LEE boolit. Enjoy!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000947.JPG  
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The mass market .303 sporters sold pre-GCA68 have no collector value, go cheap and are one of the great bargains in cast bullet guns.

UPDATE: 15 May 2016

This one on GunBroker was done right, rebarreled with new Diamaco-Canada heavy match barrel with good chamber, etc. Cannot be duplicated for even close to the asking price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=556520699
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-15-2016 at 11:03 AM.

I had one I got at a gunshow for $50 that bubba got ahold of. One of the most accurate rifles Ive evwr owned. That one looms real nice.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it's mine.

Stock looks great, w no dings.
    The bolt has been chromed or something, but is starting to peel a bit up by the lug.
    There's no markings, military or other, on the receiver or barrel. Bolt has MK II.
    Trigger is pretty good. First stage is short and second is crisp, and maybe a medium light pull weight.
    Barrel has been cold blued over 40 years ago. I'll Prolly go over it again.
    Front site is missing screw. Anybody know a good thread to try?
    Barrel crown is rounded and looks funny. Bore here is oblong. Maybe do a recrowning, see how it shoots. But lands and groves are deep and sharp as much as I can tell now. Will have to get her home aNd take a closer look.

Boolit Master
    Somebody loved that gun and you will too. Nice looking rig, call it a super stock model!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    If the old live .303 rounds you have are military surplus, assume they're corrosive and clean accordingly. I have seen so many Enfields that looked great on the outside and had ruined bores.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks pretty good to me!

I have a sporterized No. 4 MKII that is not as nice. Mine just has the cut down military wood on it but it shoots very well. I was going to put it back to military if I can get all the wood for it but it shoots so well, I may just leave it as is.

Check your headspace. Lee Enfield are notorious for excessive headspace but you can get different bolt heads to tighten it up if needed.

I have the one sporter and 3 in stock condition. I like them all and I am sure you will like yours.

Yes, slug the bore and throat. I am betting you will need at least a 0.314" boolit. Mine like 0.315" so that's what they get.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I have seen so many Enfields that looked great on the outside and had ruined bores.
    Looks like what i have here. There was thick greasy filth thru out the barrel. Took a lot of elbow grease to get it out. Underneath it all is a bunch of corrosion. I thought for awhile it might be tough spots of grime. I pushed a .310 size bullet in the muzzle and none of the bands went in. When i was thinking they might still be dirt spots i figured Id shoot one of the .310s w GC over 2g of unique to try to get some scrapping action, but bad spots are still there.

I shot into cardboard and recovered the slug. How do you measure 5 grooves? I spun it in the caliper and largest dia was .310 smallest was .306, but not land to land since theres 5 groves. Was thinking i could just shoot up the surplus ammo i have and deal w barrel after i knock out a few other projects but if its a small, not-stock barrel, is it a good idea to put .314 jacketed thru?

Boolit Grand Master
    mattd

To measure without specialized equipment:

# 1 Use a piece of flexible, but fairly stiff shim material (a strip of soda or beer can works well). Measure the thickness of the shim material and double this number.

#2 Wrap this piece of material around the slug and measure the diameter of the wrapped slug. Use a light touch with the measuring instrument, so as to not obtain a false reading.

#3 Subtract the measurement obtained in step #1 from the measurement obtained in step #3.

This gives you the groove diameter of the odd number rifled barrel.

Compliments of oneokie

Boolit Buddy
    Measured 309-310 with soda can wrapped around it. But i started w a 310 slug, altho it came out with good grooves in it and wouldn't push in the muzzle with finger pressure. That would be sweet if I get to use my current stock of molds, but what about burning up this jacketed ammo? Pulled one and it measures 312-3125.

Not convinced its corrosion yet either. Did some reading last nite and I haven't put in near the effort as a lot of people have had to to get it clean. Switching between wipeout, butch's and clp. Patches and brushing

Cast Boolits Owner

That is a nice looking rifle. Peep sights are a bonus. Please let us know how it shoots with cast.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Mattd, plug the chamber GOOD, then pour some copper solvent down the barrel. Let it sit overnight, and then scrub the bejabbers out of it. Follow with Hoppe's No. 9 a few times, and check. You should be good.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking bout plugging it, but managed to get all the thick stuff out with the chore boy method, and the barrel looks great. Still pushing patches thru to get the last of it. Between cleanings I was touching up the receiver/trigger guard blueing. Next step is to shoot it. It came w a box of PMC ammo so I'll go thru that before I go to the corrosive/berdan stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Snow day in MO today, so made it to range. I was the only one there. Love it when that happens.
    She shoots! At least as good as I can with my eyes and no scope anyway, and probably better. 50 yards PMC ammo. Next will be to see if my lee 309-175s at .310 will shoot any good.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast