Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: has anyone tried shooting powder coated boolits from desert eagle

Boolit Bub

has anyone tried shooting powder coated boolits from desert eagle

maybe i missed it...but have a .44 desert eagle and am about to start powder coating... just thought of the fact that maybe I coould use some coated boolits instead of having to use jacketed... the lead cant be shot in gas operated.

Banned

Not sure how your gun would be any different from any other gun. I never knew you could not shoot lead in gas operated firearms. I must be missing something. As far as I know, members have shot "lead" in every sort of gas operated firearm known to man. So why not PC?

lead cant be shot in gas operated.
    Says who? Do it all the time in ar-10. lots use it in ar-15.
    Whatever!

Ive shot tons of cast in the Desert Eagel pistols. The whole no lead thing is bull. I have a friend with three of the guns and he shot norhing but cast in it.

Boolit Bub
    the website says not to shoot lead in em...and mine wouldnt cycle with cast boolits.

Boolit Bub
    this is what their website says... from magnum research(desert eagle)

Q. What ammunition is recommended for use in my Desert Eagle pistol?

A. Remember that ammunition is very important with the Desert Eagle pistol. Defective ammunition will keep you from chambering. Check the type of ammunition you are using. If ammunition is underpowered it will not reliably cycle the action of your Desert Eagle. Shooting lead or full-metal jacket with an open lead base will not only foul the recoil spring assembly crosspiece and the rods, but it will also carbon and lead-foul the piston and solder it to the barrel. You should stay with good, semi-jacketed ammunition. We do suggest trying as many commercial, manufactured, semi-jacketed Magnum cartridges as possible and see which one works the best for you and your pistol.

Semi-jacketed? That doesnt even make since. Id shoot lead and not worry about it. Solder is mkre then just lead and Ive never heard of it happening and I know many people who shoot cast in the DE

Boolit Bub
    semi jacketed....means jacketed with an open lead bottom.... which some are.

has anyone tried shooting powder coated boolits from desert eagle

It said up there not to shoot open bottom FMJ. Full metal jacket are the only ones i know of with open bottoms.

Boolit Bub
    your right... just had to reread it... No idea what that means.

Boolit Bub
    i have some 440gr cast boolits... soon as I get my gun im gonna coat em and try it...they didnt cycle properly when i tried to shoot em.

Boolit Master

Semi jacketed bullets were rather popular back in the 1970s when my dad started reloading for handguns. He bought some before he got into casting. Think of a gas check that covers the bearing surface of the projectile and exposed lead for the front half. Half jackets took less swaging than forming a jacketed HP as the lead was swaged and formed into the half jacket with less steps for point forming. I can remember seeing half jackets for sale like gas checks for those folks who swaged their own. Nowadays, copper is spendy so I don't even buy gas checks. I'd rather make my own from aluminum using CheckMaker dies.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Ok half jacket. I know what that it. Ive shot those. I wondered if thays what they were refering to.

Boolit Master

Another one that had a friend that shot the .50 DE with nothing but cast. And he tumbled in mule snot for lube. He never had lead sticking to parts gumming up the works.

Boolit Buddy
    Question everything. Glock says you can't too. It's just legalese. If your bullet doesn't chamber check the diameter and size appropriately.