Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&B brass sucks

S&B brass sucks

With all the cold and wind lately I started to get my reloading done for summer. First thing to do is load the bucket of 9mm. This is a mix of range brass . Using my 356402/ 4.2/231 load with Tula primers. That darn s&b brass will jam up the 550b most of the time as the primer will not seat flush or just get started in. This wastes a primer and jams up the works!Clint

You could separate and deprime and swage the primer pocket before putting in your Dillon.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

S and B is my favorite 45 brass. never tried 9mm. the 45 stuff is great.
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master

Crimped primer?? Sounds like it.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy

Sorting brass is part of good reloading practice, especially with the primer size variety in 45s. I have found some nines that have a shelf inside, half way down, and a concave base, "ammoload" headstamp. If you want lousy brass, look for the 4 element headstamp chinese junk that still shows up now and then....

Boolit Master
    S&B brass is my favorite in 223 especially when I reform it into 7mm TCU.

Banned

Yep, the 45 brass is great. The primers are not crimped, but the hole is a little tight. The rifle stuff I do not like at all. Most of it seems to have a shallow hole and the primers stick out a little.

Boolit Master

That was my experience with S&B 9mm brass when I loaded some years ago: the primer pockets were all a little shallow and too tight. It was a chore to get the primers seated correctly with an RCBS hand primer. I can imagine how difficult it would be with a progressive. I would just sort them all out before starting.

Boolit Master
    The S&B large rifle primer brass I own has shallow primer pockets, but that means it is just right for using a large pistol primer with mouse fart loads. I have no experience with their pistol brass.

I sort as I pickup and know that I hate S&B brass But missed about 20-30 in 3000. Some go others don't just a pain!!Clint

Boolit Man
    S&B brass is not the best out there to many problems with the primer pocket and the flash holes tend to run small. I have been running 38sp for my model 52 S&W and try to sort out all the odd brass. Well that being said I did have a bunch of odds and ends collected over time. I dumped everything 38sp in the tumbler. I couldn’t get my hand to dump the S&B in I set them aside for swapping or a gift to someone who has more patience than I do. The idea is just load it and shoot it as plinking ammo. I think I can shoot 38s as cheap as 22 now. I should do a survey on the odd head stamps. The neat one is some OLD UMC marked cases.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    All the s&b 9mm brass I find gets scrapped out. I don't run across much of it but when I do it gets tossed in the brass bin.. I HATE priming s&b brass.

Boolit Master

I haven't had any trouble with S&B in 45ACP.

Boolit Master
    I have had the same problems.This is why I sort pistol brass by headstamp.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Banned

S&B and Speer auto pistol brass goes in the recycle bucket at my house. Good brass but a PITA to prime. My Kimber never liked the rather generous bevel on the rim of the .45 ACP S&B brass, tended to chuck it right at my face (I'm left-handed) but behaved with other headstamps with the flat heads.

Gear

Boolit Master

I load S&B 9MM, the primer pocket is on the small side but with Winchester and Fiocchi small pistol primers I have no problems. CCI and Wolf primers seem to be very tight.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

S&B is among the best brass. I only hand prime and love it.

Have 16000 rounds of once shot Speer 40sw. I only load it once and put it back in a new bin. Seems great too.

I never understood why people want to make better than factory ammo and take shortcuts like priming brass without chamfering the primer pockets on tight brass.

The worst brass is Amerec and Federal.
    "The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed" — Ayn Rand

Boolit Master

I sort my S&B out, and swage the primer pocket, after having the same problems as the OP does.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I had some trouble with S&B 9mm and it turned out to be steel. Looked like brass though.

Boolit Master

The S&B 9mm brass goes straight to the scrap bucket. The primer pockets are shallow and tight. Any other S&B brass that I've used has been fine.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast