MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to have a die to seat Gas Checks?

Boolit Bub

Is it necessary to have a die to seat Gas Checks?

I am just wondering if it is necessary to have a die to seat Gas checks? I read something like they can also be seated when loading the bullet into the case? I am new to GC. Help...Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Get a die. A GC is bigger than the boolit diameter and even if you could get it started into the case, it'd just bulge it and leave the boolit loose. You could do some fancy flush-brass seating with a factory crimp die as you seated the boolit..... but that still involves a die, and one that isn't made for that. Lee push thru dies are cheap.

ps.... if you go with Lee, get some 800-1000 grit paper and slick the inside of that baby up good and it'll work like a dream.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

What Beagle333 said.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by AllOutdoors.22 View Post
    I am just wondering if it is necessary to have a die to seat Gas checks? I read something like they can also be seated when loading the bullet into the case? I am new to GC. Help...Thanks!
    the older lyman slip on GC could in a long neck (30-30 for instance) when the bullet didn't protrude into the powder area could be slip fit on and loaded, but it's much easier to just buy a lee push thru die and doesn't cost that much.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Dies......all the way.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

I'm intrigued and curious, both! I've place fresh-cast boolits in the Lyman units I have (Model 450) with their little GC applier, pulled the handle down, and voila -- the (I use copper Hornady &/or Lyman checks) GC is applied. Perhaps I should be embarrassed, but I've never heard of a specialized die for this function. Then again, I never professed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer .

Might you please provide a model/skew # on the die you refer to? And, also , perhaps, more detailed instruction on HOW to use the fine (wet n' dry, I assume?) paper to "slick it up"?

At 66, I'm surely not too old to be learning "new" things; THANKS!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I'm intrigued and curious, both! I've place fresh-cast boolits in the Lyman units I have (Model 450) with their little GC applier, pulled the handle down, and voila -- the (I use copper Hornady &/or Lyman checks) GC is applied. Perhaps I should be embarrassed, but I've never heard of a specialized die for this function. Then again, I never professed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer .

Might you please provide a model/skew # on the die you refer to? And, also , perhaps, more detailed instruction on HOW to use the fine (wet n' dry, I assume?) paper to "slick it up"?

At 66, I'm surely not too old to be learning "new" things; THANKS!!!
    There is nothing special about either dies.
    I am assuming that the OP thought there was something special that needs to be done.
    The reason the Lee dies are mentioned is because the are relatively inexpensive, they are push thru and they are the cats behind for installing GC's.
    Also a lot of people here tumble lube their bullets and don't have a lubrisizer.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    There's nothing special about it. You just get a Lee sizer die of whatever caliber you want and shove the thing through it. Lee dies are not always mirror smooth on the inside though, and if the OP is going to be trying out GCs, he'll surely also want to try some aluminum ones, and they are more sensitive to any die roughness (the aluminum will "grab" the sides and distort or stretch out, sometimes) and so it would just be a smoother operation if it were polished just a bit.
    In my opinion, it's never a bad idea to lightly polish up a new sizing die, as long as you don't get wild and change the hole diameter.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AllOutdoors.22 View Post
    Most of the time, a Gas Check can be "seated" with your fingers. But it must be sized, like the boolit must be sized. The exception for a boolit is, that if it already the correct size, it doesn't need to be sized...But many of us size them anyway, to lube them and take out any unconcentricities (is that a word?).

NOW, if a Gas Check is difficult to seat, there are those of us that have made tools and such to seat them squarely...but they still have to be sized.

If all this is kind of over your head...it's time to get the Lyman castbullet handbook out and read that chapter.
    Good luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Jon, that is a great idea...I completely forgot I had that book in the back of my reloading cabinet. I will read over that chapter. I knew they could be hand seated but was unsure if they had to sized if the bullet's were the correct size. Thanks for all the info.

Vendor Sponsor

OK guys,,, the purpose of shoving the boolit with gas check on it thru a sizing die is to crimp the gas check onto the boolit.

This also usually sizes the boolit to the diameter you want, but if you don't size it afterwards then the gas check will come off, and it may come off anyway.

They can be hand seated and generally are, since you must put them onto the boolit before you size it. But they still must be crimped on and that is done by the sizing die.

Any cast boolit loading manual should cover this operation.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Once out of desperation while loading for 7,62x54R I needed a .315 boolit and had a mold that dropped right at that. I pushed the gas checks on by hand and used a factory crimp die (308 win I think) to crimp it on from the top of the die. It was a PITA and I really shouldn't have been squeezing that collet so much.

Get the sizer and do it right. You'll thank us later.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Most of the time, a Gas Check can be "seated" with your fingers. But it must be sized, like the boolit must be sized. The exception for a boolit is, that if it already the correct size, it doesn't need to be sized...But many of us size them anyway, to lube them and take out any unconcentricities (is that a word?).
    NOW, if a Gas Check is difficult to seat, there are those of us that have made tools and such to seat them squarely...but they still have to be sized.

If all this is kind of over your head...it's time to get the Lyman castbullet handbook out and read that chapter.
    Good luck,
    Jon
    Jon, I think that one negates with a "non".
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I worked for a custom bullet maker in Tulsa. The man was a wizard with lead, casting, sizing and lubes so he taught me a lot! We always used an RCBS sizing die in a Lubrisizer to crimp the GC on the base. To answer the question in the OP............ No, a sizing die is not necessary to use on the GC's unless you want them to actually stay on the bullet....snicker.

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Grand Master

My Lyman 450 lube sizer seats the gas check during the size/lube operation with the standard sizer die. If you don't run it through the check will not be crimped on and fall off. Literally. I don't use the Lyman special check seating die with it. Not sure what the exact purpose of the check seating die is , except to sell us more do-dahs.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-19-2014 at 01:50 PM.

I've tried what Dean Winchester was talking about, and I agree, it is a PITA. I used a foam plug to keep the bullet from falling through so it only crimped the GC.

A whole lot easier to get a lee push through sizer in the size you want to end up and use that to crimp on the gas check.

They don't seem to make a .312 (and custom's cost a lot more) so I'm using a .311 and it hardly touch's the bullet.
    Normally just a couple of shiny spots on the driving bands. I am considering a custom sized .312 sizing die, maybe next year.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Is use nothing but the Lee Lube/Sizer with sizing dies the diameter of the base of the bullet. Have never had a GC that has been crimped hard and squarely on the bullet heel
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I tried loading 300gr Lee .452 boolits with checks just placed on and not crimped, the loaded 45 Colt rounds would not chamber in my NMBH.

When I first got my 450 new years ago and there was the seating tool that is use for gas checks and I always used it and the GC stay on the boolit better for what I see I use Lyman and Hornaday and gator also.After i run out of Lyman i will stick with the Gator after use up the hornady because they cost less.but the tool that came with the 450 make it easyer for me to get the check on good.it is really a spacer that you put under the sizen die and over the threads of the bottom of the ram and the adjustment for the dept for the boolit to go in the sizen die and to be lube also.i do not TL only the lube sizer.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

if the boolit is just being scuffed up by a 311 a 312 will just allow it to fall through.
    you gotta make the boolit bigger and size down.

now the good news if you do a search here you'll find out how easy it is to open a 311 sizer to 312 yourself for about 5 bucks.