RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I picked up a used 201

I picked up a used 201

From a seller that had no knowledge about the rifle . He said it had some rust which it does . But I think never dull will clean it up . He never shot the rifle but I did today . These were never known to be power houses and it is not . But a good 50 - 60 yard RB or light conical rifle they are with out a tune . And stock they have a non breakable chocking handle . I still have my first 201 that I have a 25 caliber barrel on now . But I think I will leave the .3575 barrel that is stock on this one . Will probably change the hammer spring later . This one seems to have taken a set . The normal full power fill is 3000 - 3100 psi . yielding around 850 fps with 70 grain RB . This one is 2100 psi fill and 829 fps . But this is not much of a energy lose with quite a bit of air usage gain . Will have to take it back out and see how many shots I can get on a tank of air . Marvin

Boolit Buddy
    Nice note sheet - but pictures of the gun.....

Thanks

Geoff in Oregon

Nothing fancy just a twin tube Korean .Marvin

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the photo.

Sorry, I just like looking at interesting stuff.

Geoff

Shot the 201 today. Started with a 80 CF tank with 3150 psi and ended with 2400 psi after 180 shots . The RB have a large sprue cut that was throwing thing off . Till I found a way to load them with the flat spot always to the rear which kept the imbalance in the same spot each time . Then it settled down and proved to be a accurate shooter at 55 yards . Marvin

Boolit Man
    nice gun. i really like the shin sung rifles. i have several of them myself. i wish someone would start importing them again.

I think they are a good little rifle as well . I chonyed it again today to see what it would do with a 107 grain SWC . And I did the RB again which had slowed down about 10 fps . I will be changing the spring before I shoot it again . But at least I know were I am at before I tear it down .Marvin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadams View Post
    nice gun. i really like the shin sung rifles. i have several of them myself. i wish someone would start importing them again.
    AoA is now importing them! Just last night, I saw the infinity, dragon, and fire models!

Quote Originally Posted by bginvestor View Post
    AoA is now importing them! Just last night, I saw the infinity, dragon, and fire models!
    Yes I phoned them this morning and asked a few questions because I am in need of some parts that are on the way . They are importing the rifles and will carry only o rings for parts . They said they do not intend to stock replacement parts .If you need them get a hold of the Korean maker which I can not find info on . I have two of these now and the air gauge has developed leaks with both rifles . I have a fix for this one I believe so I think I am out of trouble I hope . The rifle held air until I dumped the air to replace the spring . Have yet to get it to hold air again . But I believe I have it down to the gauge which I hope to have worked out some time next week . Also the hammer springs are a rare size and not found or made by most spring companies unless you have a custom spring made . I have located some at PA which use to import them but no longer do . I think I am set or hope to be for a while . But the parts supply will not last long if the importer does not stock parts IMO .Marvin

Boolit Mold
    Wow, that's definitely a consideration.

Can you remove the gauge and plug? Don't really need the gun gauge if you have a inline gauge.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by bginvestor View Post
    Wow, that's definitely a consideration.

Can you remove the gauge and plug? Don't really need the gun gauge if you have a inline gauge.

Take care.
    I pulled all the internal parts out of the gauge and it looks like it could be drilled and tapped for a 1/4 pipe plug . My drill press is in storage so I sent it to http://saddlemountaingunsmith.com/ . Will might have another idea in mind .marvin

I did get the rifle to hold air again . I shimmed the hammer spring that was in the rifle .137 and gave it a try today . I could live with the RB readings . Not a power house but I bought the rifle to shoot RB . I have 2 .357 Corsairs and a tuned Recluse for heavier ammo . I do have two new springs of different lengths as well . Will try the longest one first and see what happens on low power .Marvin

Tried a new spring today .Marvin

Started with the shorter of the two new springs . I put a parcel set in the spring that brought it down to 4.200 . The same length that the original spring was with the .137 shim added. I will see how long this spring will stay were it is set at . Lost about 30 fps but saved 50 psi or 1/3 of the air used per shot to get to 910 fps . The RB are .361-.362 and the barrel slugged at .3575 so I sized a couple to .358 and there was no difference in fps . Marvin