WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 452423 or heavier for my 45acp hog load?

Banned

Good luck getting it to feed!

Boolit Master
    Feeds fine in my Colt Gold Cup.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Good luck getting it to feed!
    They are quite easy to get to feed once the barrel has enough freebore, and that freebore is of sufficient diameter.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have always liked the Keith #452423 bullet in my 625, my Ruger single action custom & to a smaller degree my 1011's. Many, many people under estimate the killing power of a good 1911 with good bullets, fatal mistake!
    I also shoot a Miha #452374 HP & if you look close the HP is shallow at the bottom which delays expansion & allows the bullet to work very well on game. It feeds well & kills well, whether in a 1911 or a Ruger or Smith 45.
    When char-gar tells you something it comes from first hand experience, best to listen.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

I realize this is on old thread, but that's an awful lot of talk for something that can be found in a reloading manual. Alliant removed most of their data, but they used to list a 260 grain bullet with 8.5 gr bluedot for a max load. That was a standard pressure load, I've never seen +P data for the heavier bullets. +P data is hard to come by regardless.

The Lee 255 gr SWC with 8.5 gr Bluedot at 1.215" OAL does 850 fps in my P220. I see no reason to send a solid cast bullet any faster, penetration is extreme, matches anything a 10mm auto can do.

Boolit Buddy
    So, to give proper respect and honor to a true Texas gentleman on his birthday, I'd like to post something Charles Graff wrote a ways back on the 452423 boolit:

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Happy Birthday, brother Charles!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    So, to give proper respect and honor to a true Texas gentleman on his birthday, I'd like to post something Charles Graff wrote a ways back on the 452423 boolit:

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Happy Birthday, brother Charles!
    Something else Charles Graff wrote a while back, pertinent to the exact topic of the thread. As I stated above, it is quite easy to get the 452423 to feed if the barrel is sufficiently throated:

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I sent DougGuy a Colt 45 Auto barrel for his full treatment of throating, muzzle crowning and feed ramp polish. It came back to me with a very quick turn around.

I loaded up some 45 ACP ammo with my old favorite Lyman 452423 over 4.5/Bullsye. However this time I seated the bullet out as far as it would go and still feed through the magazine. The bullet so loaded would still "plunk" in the barrel just fine.

With 8 magazines loaded with this stuff, I headed for our range on the Rio Grande River hard up against the Republic of Mexico. Tacking up a few targets and thinking "Remember the Alamo", I let fly. All eight mags were empties in jig time with good accuracy and nary a bobble. I reloaded the mags and did it again. Still there were no jams, misfeeds or any kind of problems. That is 112 rounds downrange with zero stoppages. That is better than I could do with the bullet seated down for the past 55 years. The throat enable a longer round, which was a whole new ball game. Here is a pic of the bullet loaded the old way and another the new way. Another pic of the Colt that flung them is also included.

I am very pleased with the turn around time, the quality of the work and the results on the range. Thanks DougGuy.

Charles Graff
    Charles posted these two images with the above post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Char-Gar452423.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	264922 Attachment 264923

It's obvious that there are many years between the post Charles wrote which Wayne Dobbs referenced, and the post I referenced which is a bit over 3 years ago. As Bob Dylan would say, the times they are a changin'.

Until the advent of the internet and boards like this one, barrel throating was pretty much a black art, only subscribed to by a few smiths who knew what the deal was, but this custom was not shared and many wouldn't publish their trade secrets given the chance. Now that we have global communication at the speed of light, and a Google search could find just about anything you can type in the search box, it's easy to see how important fitment really is, and how every autopistol from the old warhorse itself right to the newest poly framed krunchentickers benefit from having a proper sized throat in the barrel.

On the left, what you get from almost all recent manufacturer's barrels, on the right is what you NEED for shooting cast boolits, especially the 452423.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BarrelThroatsPasted.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	707.5 KB 
ID:	264924

In addition to the above discussion, let me say that years ago I used to compete in bowling pin matches using a 14rd Para Ordnance framed 1911 with an old WWII era Remington Rand upper, I had this magnaported and my load of choice was the Keith type LSWC, basically either a 452423 or a 454423 I don't recall, over a very stout charge of 700x. This load gripped the pins and forcefully flung them several feet behind the table, often lifting them 2 or more feet into the air, recoil was stiff and it was hard to bring the sights back on target for following shots.

I would venture to say that this load, out of a 1911 would be about as deadly on hogs as one could possibly come up with.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-16-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I’m experimenting with hog loads in a 625 using the Montana Bullet Works LBT 250 OGW. Want to see how it works before ordering a mold.

So far the leading candidate is 6.8 grains of Power Pistol, which gives just under 900 FPS and lighter recoil than any factory ball I’ve tried.

IDK if it’s me or the gun, but shooting 6 shot groups at 25 yards, I’ll get three almost in the same hole and the other three open the group to about 2.5”. It’s been to Doug for throat reaming and the MBW boolits fit just right.

By contrast by GP100 MC 10mm doesn’t shoot for squat with the LBT 200 WFN coated. These are coated from MBW #2 alloy and sized .402. The boolits slip more easily than I’d like. Pushed by Universal or PP, theyre all over the paper. It prints under 2” at 25 with the Sig Elite 180 TC. This gun might be going on the block.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not put much work into my own heavy bullet 45 loads, but mine do not shoot much better. Usually 4" to 4 1/2" at 50 yards is how the Lee 255 gr with Bluedot shoots for me. But again, I did not work to improve accuracy, this load meets my needs, so I left it.

That's very strange your 10mm wont shoot the 200 gr WFN well. The 10mm, 200 grain bullet, and bluedot go together like salt and pepper. It could be your gun doesn't like that particular bullet.

Boolit Mold

45 acp hog load!

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    This bullet ( Lee 90358) with your choice of powder to get it up over 900fps is a real sledge hammer as stated...and functions great in the 1911 with factory springs.
    25yrs ago, I took one of Veral Smiths 325 gr lfn boolits, cut it down to the first grease groove, and used the crimp groove for the lube groove, it shot so well, I had him make me a 4 cavity, 230 gr lfn mold, now it's his no 1 selling 45 acp mold!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I have not put much work into my own heavy bullet 45 loads, but mine do not shoot much better. Usually 4" to 4 1/2" at 50 yards is how the Lee 255 gr with Bluedot shoots for me. But again, I did not work to improve accuracy, this load meets my needs, so I left it.

That's very strange your 10mm wont shoot the 200 gr WFN well. The 10mm, 200 grain bullet, and bluedot go together like salt and pepper. It could be your gun doesn't like that particular bullet.
    I swear I have an old almost-full can of Hercules BD around here somewhere. We did a remodel last year so everything got moved out & back in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I swear I have an old almost-full can of Hercules BD around here somewhere. We did a remodel last year so everything got moved out & back in.
    Hercules and Alliant Bluedot are exactly the same, so that would work well. 800x would be another good choice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234