Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 452423 or heavier for my 45acp hog load?

Perma-Banned

well i would say if you can get that bullet trundeling along at anything over about 850 you will be very well armed indeed. bet u would have liked it that day on santa cruz..
    Last edited by 300savage; 01-29-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: speling

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    goodcheer, not sure if your asking me or not but i do have my opinion if ya dont mind..
    in killing hogs with a low"er" velocity round like a 45 acp penetration is of course of primary importance because i cant kill them if i cant get into the soft parts.
    how much then do i want ? well i want to be able to shoot through the thickest, mud encrusted shoulder there is and still blow a quarter sized hole through both lungs and preferably out the other shoulder as well.
    this load i like wont do that..
    on a big tuff boar, talking 275 plus, it cant be counted on to always exit.
    that is because i sacrifice a bit of penetration in favor of that big flat meplat in order to get the best balance i can between penetration and tissue damage.
    the bullet the gives complete penetration leaves a pencil sized hole through tissue.
    a .45 contrary to popular opinion does not punch a .45 hole in round nose form.
    it simply does not have the velocity to make that work. instead it pushes a lot of tissue aside and leaves a sub caliber hole behind as is evidenced by examining lung tissue post mortem
    a big flat meplat with a sharp defining edge crushes and cuts tissue and leaves a larger than caliber hole behind.
    so its a balancing act between density, composition, of game. angle of shot path to reach vitals, and distance parameters to game to account for velocity loss.

so for me in a 45 acp, i try to keep my shots under 75 yards as that is about my personal limit to hit the vitals from a standing position.
    i want a bullet with enough momentum to reach the vitals with even a shot up the tail pipe.
    will completely penetrate all but the biggest boars with a broadside shot.
    and even on them it will be found under the shield on the off side after doing massive damage to whatever bone structure or vitals it hits on its way.
    Started hunting with cast bullets in the '70's. I know about flat noses, big shoulders, soft, hard and what cast bullet wound channels at different velocities look like. What I'm trying to convey is that with .45 diameter don't worry about trying to maximize the would channel that you could achieve. I'd just worry about getting it to where it needs to get to.

Perma-Banned

well thats all good yet to say the wound channel does not matter is rather confusing.
    a hardball 45 through the vitals in my experiance produces a far different result than does a wfn.
    a solid rn does not kill anywhere near as effectively as a wfn through the same vital hit.
    however i do agree with you on one thing and that is regardless of type of bullet used it must hit the vitals or cns.

Boolit Master
    That is my target velocity 850
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    well thats all good yet to say the wound channel does not matter is rather confusing.
    a hardball 45 through the vitals in my experiance produces a far different result than does a wfn.
    a solid rn does not kill anywhere near as effectively as a wfn through the same vital hit.
    however i do agree with you on one thing and that is regardless of type of bullet used it must hit the vitals or cns.
    That's not what I said. (heavy sigh) Good night.

Perma-Banned

no need for such drama..
    according to what i understood you to write you are under the misconception that simply because a person is shooting a 45 cal they dont need to worry about what kind of wound channel they are creating. nothing could be farther from the truth unfortunately.
    if i have misread then i apologize.

Boolit Master
    Well mods may as well close this one nothing more is goanna be learned here. Been a member of this board since the old Aimoo days and it's sad to see what it has become

Boolit Bub
    I got some really good info from this thread, so how about we keep on topic and knock off the drama ??

ramhunter

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    I got some really good info from this thread, so how about we keep on topic and knock off the drama ??

ramhunter
    Agreed. Used to shoot a 250 grain Keith in a Series 70 Gold Cup, in the 1970s, of course. Used a big load of Blue Dot, a powder often neglected in 45ACP, IMO. No hogs back then, but sure did the job on deer. Still got the gun and mold, neither self-destructed, as my buds from the time said it would. Fun stuff.

Boolit Master
    I have about three pounds of Blue Dot and a few load ideas to, I have three bullets I'll be testing this spring for the hunt in the fall, the 452423 my MP molds 45-230 RCBS HP and then same mold in the solid version. I'm thinking one of the solids will goto TX with me

Boolit Bub
    Just loaded up some #452423 boolets. sized .452, loaded in hornady +p 45 acp cases with 5.5gr unique. its a bit cold up here but I might get out and try a few tomorrow. oh yeah 249grs with my wheel weights.

ramhunter

Boolit Buddy

FWIW I have loaded the 452423 with 6.0 gr. of unique at an oal of 1.200 " for a clocked 860 fps . feeds well in all my 1911's thou one series 70 dosent like the load. Accuracy was good , YMMV

Boolit Master
    I've got some cast but at 14 degrees here I'll wait to try them

Boolit Buddy

It's never cold{rains,snows ,etc} on a pistol range...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    It's never cold{rains,snows ,etc} on a pistol range...
    Really, tell that to my Tush, this has been one of the coldest/bitterest winters I have ever experienced in Frederick Maryland!!

I've been thinking about selling and moving somewhere it's warm and gun friendly.

Boolit Buddy

Sorry to rattle your chain but my local range is closed "due to cold weather" I have been sneaking out to my alternate range to get some trigger time. I view shooting as a year round pastime , I have conducted matches when the weather was neg 15 (early '80's in VA. and yup some people showed up to shoot) I could use some warmer weather too, but till then dont let it stop ya.

Boolit Master
    I was testing a bullet last Thursday at minus eight. Even got out of the pickup so I didnt coat the mirror and door post with lube and powder residue. Six shots and jump back in with heater full blast. The bullet, a Magma 300 grain rifle bullet will shoot quite well to 226 yards. This in my old 45 Colt with 32 twist barrel.
    Dress warm and enjoy what we do despite the weather.

Boolit Master
    My range is also closed due to snow can''t get to it!

One of the greatest bullet designs ever! I taper crimp it just behind the front driving bands leading edge. Loaded very hot with IMR 800x at 8.5 gr with a CCI LP primer. I coat with Eastwood’s light Ford Blue and also lube in a Lyman 450 sizer at .452” The lube is a mix of 50/50 Crisco and toilet bowl wax ring. It is an absolute hammer. The Kimber is outfitted with a 20lb spring and extra power mainspring. This pistol eats everything, after I tuned the extractor.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    I would think that 230 gr should do anything you need.
    Agree !
    In a 1911 platform driving that 238 grain boolit to 900 fps is going to be a good compromise of weight and velocity .
    If you were shooting a 45 acp revolver then possibly the heavier boolit might be useful but with the 1911 452423 with it's flat nose should be be a good choice ....make sure they feed well !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast