Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 452423 or heavier for my 45acp hog load?

Boolit Master

452423 or heavier for my 45acp hog load?

I'm in a deep obsession with the 1911 style and in particular my 10mm, However 45 is easier to come by and in my quest for the one perfect all around gun I picked up 2 Lyman 452423 with the thought that I could build a hog load at about 900 FPS kinda like the Buffalo Bore loads. I'm wondering now though if I shouldn't have gotten a 255gr mold. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

bhn22
    I would think that 230 gr should do anything you need.

Yeah, what he said is what I wuz thinking.
    But then again, if the 452423 is hard cast and you get absolutely reliable functioning then why not?

Boolit Master
    Well I do have that new MP molds 230 grainer laying around.........

A hog won't know the difference between the few extra grains of bullet weight. A velocity of 800 to 830 fps is more realistic and ample for the job. 4.5 to 4.8 grains of bullseye will get you there. I have quite a bit of experience with this bullet in the 1911 pistol.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I would think the 452423 would be vastly superior to the 452374 on a hog but I can't get the 452423 to chamber in any of my three Colt 1911's, two are Series 70's and one is a brand new gun. My 452423 drops a Linotype mix alloy at 245 grains. The 452423 works great in my .45 Colt SAA's and my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt.

The only way to deal with a deep obsession is to give into it. Some guys have reported their 452423 works in their 1911, Char-Gar here on the forum is one. You should buy, try, and report here on the forum. I had a hard time finding the 452423, I suggest you start shopping and keep an eye out for one.

Vendor Sponsor

I used a 255gr keith semi wadcutter for pins, if you simply must hunt hogs with a 1911, that boolit would work.

Boolit Master
    I hadn't given much thought to the 230 grainer but the more I think on it the MP Rcbs clone I just got my be a solution to. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a 200gr 10mm at 1000fps gives complete shoulder to shoulder penetration on hogs up to 300lbs so a 230 grainer at 850-900 I'm betting will to, plus gives me something to play with!

I have loaded lyman 454190 boolit sized .452 in a 1911 Colt WWII vintage, yes it was a Colt 1944,
    used Unique , started with .455 Webley Auto data & worked up till it functioned. didn't have 45ACP dies sized cases in .234 die ,expanded & seated with .45 Colt. I was living in the backwoods on Pa. winters there can get boring. They spawn many " lets see what happens" ideas. This is a 250gr. boolit rn with a small flat that should feed good & go deep if pushed to max. It worked good in my Colt SAA.
    Last edited by Boogieman; 01-25-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added info.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

In Remembrance

I have loaded 255 gr. Keith boolits in my 1911. I wound up using a 22 pound spring and ShokBuffs due to pounding on the internal parts. I decided they weren't worth the hassle, but I don't hunt hogs with it. I did size them .452.

In Remembrance

I have loaded 255 gr. Keith boolits in my 1911. I wound up using a 22 pound spring and ShokBuffs due to pounding on the internal parts. I decided they weren't worth the hassle, but I don't hunt hogs with it.I used SR 7625 powder.

This thread is interesting but I tried to reference the mold 452423 and what I came up with is the 452424.Was the other a mistake or is there another mold??
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master
    The 452424 is a different mould. 452423 is a Keith boolit designed for the .45 Auto Rim intended to be used in the revolver such as a 1917. Guys like me tried to make it work in the 1911 and failed. Others have had success so they write and I do not doubt their word.

bhn22
    You can't seat it out to 1.250, if that's what you're doing. It should be seated so that just a sliver of the front driving band shows in front of the case. The actual thickness was described to me as being about the thickness of your fingernail. I've loaded a lot of SAECO 058s in 45 ACP, and that's where they needed to be seated too. If you go much longer than that, the front driving band can engage the rifling on some guns, and the slide may not go into battery.

In my earlier post, I was actually speaking out in favor of the 452423, not against it. I think it would be an excellent bullet for hunting with the 45 ACP. I'm not a fan of round nose bullets, unless there's no other choice.

Boolit Master
    The idea came to me when I was looking for a new gun, I dearly love the platform and own several high end 1911, but I'm thinking about a stainless Colt Series 70 with some VERY basic mods and instead of fancy ammo, simple basic cast loads.

Perma-Banned

i have shot a lot of lee 255grn rfn over 10.5 of 2400 in my g21 and mycolt 1911 with pure stock springs with zero issues.
    you will read tons of regurgitated bs about 2400 in a 45 acp but i love it.
    it will get you over 900fps and it hits hogs like a hammer. also very clean burning at those pressures and is bar none the most accurate loading i shoot.
    a 255, actually cast from ww and water quenched it runs closer to 265 grains.
    soft shooting hard hitting, cant think of a better load for hunting with a standard 45 acp case.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 300 I'll have to try that 2400 load, I'm planning on testing these in your state this fall!

I have been shooting 452423 in the 1911 autopistol for over 50 years now and have killed several deer with the combination. I got started with this bullet out of necessity as it was the only mould I owned, not because it was the best available.

It will feed well is most 1911 pistols, but certainly not all. It has to be seated with just a smidge of the bullet sticking out of the case mouth and a good taper crimp applied. Even so the edge of the meplat will strike the feed ramp of the pistol.

There are other cast bullets for the 1911 pistol that will feed better and be just as effective on game. I am by no means suggesting the OP should not give 452423 a try, just don't get emotionally involved with it, if it doesn't work for you.

Below is a pick of how I load the bullet in the ACP case. These rounds happen to be in moon clips for use in my Smith and Wesson 625. With any fair hit, they will drive a bowling pin straight back off the table.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    i have shot a lot of lee 255grn rfn over 10.5 of 2400 in my g21 and mycolt 1911 with pure stock springs with zero issues.
    you will read tons of regurgitated bs about 2400 in a 45 acp but i love it.
    it will get you over 900fps and it hits hogs like a hammer. also very clean burning at those pressures and is bar none the most accurate loading i shoot.
    a 255, actually cast from ww and water quenched it runs closer to 265 grains.
    soft shooting hard hitting, cant think of a better load for hunting with a standard 45 acp case.
    It is not nice of you to refer to those who feel your load is unwise and bordering on foolish as regurgitating BS. I am one of those folks and take exception to your characterization.

Shoot what you like and post what you like. I would not want to try and convince you otherwise. But do so with some respect for those who would disagree with you. Many of us have a very long and deep experience with the 1911 pistol and loading cast bullets for it, and we are not idiots who regurgitate BS.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    This bullet ( Lee 90358) with your choice of powder to get it up over 900fps is a real sledge hammer as stated...and functions great in the 1911 with factory springs.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-26-2014 at 02:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast