Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 750 Remington - 35 Whelen

Boolit Master

750 Remington - 35 Whelen

After years of admiring and wishing I may be close to buying a gas operated Remingnton automatic in 35 Whelen. My question is does anyone have any experience with this rifle or its previous models? I have also admired Winchester Model 100 s until I found out that they sometime/often failed to feed. Before I buy a rifle that has problems I would like any available input. Don't want a bolt action or single shot in this or related calibers. Alternatives would be Winchester/Browning in Model 71 or 88 /Savage 99 in .358 Win. Thank you Duckiller

Boolit Master
    I believe these (750, 7400 et al) to be better than the 742 and certainly better that the 740's. The one thing that I think you/we need to keep in mind about these guns is what their intended market is. I believe that they are primarily intended for the hunting market. That is to say they are designed to last a long time if all you do is maybe sight it in in the fall (5-10 shot) shoot at deer (maybe another 5-10 shots) and put it back in the cabinet 'til next fall. I've known guys that have destroyed these guns in a matter of years simply by shooting 4-500 rounds a year thru them. I believe that they are just not made to stand that kind of punishment. I just handled a 750 carbine in 35 Whelen yesterday, it is a great looking gun. I wouldn't be the least bit afraid to buy it for a hunting gun. The model 100 Winchesters are getting really old now. I was involved in the firing pin recall Olin instituted 10-12 years ago, and critical parts were getting hard to come by back then. They had several other problems as well, mostly attributable to owner neglect. Just my $.02
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine has worked well, but I have only put about 80 rounds down the pipe. No feeding problems. Accuracy was only so-so, maybe 2 inches + at 100yds. Probably due to the trigger. I think it is the same as an 870 shotgun. I don't do well when the trigger is crummy.

Boolit Master
    A "late" friend used to use a Remy 1100 for competitive trap ........ he said all those trigger units used the same springs and they were tunable.

He tunned his to his taste by buying a spring pack ...... don't know from where or from who though.

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-12-2007 at 12:06 PM.