Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round ball in 45-70

Boolit Bub

Round ball in 45-70

A couple of days ago, I saw a thread on loading .457 round balls in a 45-70 but I can't seem to find it now. I'm not sure I'm in the right place to ask. Anyway , I'd like to try some in my Pedersoli 1874, can someone suggest a load, just a target load , not for hunting
    Thanks
    Bob

Buckshot is your man. Others may have done it but I know he has written of it here. Send him a PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    bobv, It's one of my favorite fun loads. 9 gr unique and a round ball for my .45/70. No filler. Just drop the powder charge, and push the round ball into the case mouth so that half of the sphere is exposed when done. I usually use large caliper pliers to set the ball. I get suprising accuracy, very quiet performance, and enough umph to be a real threat to the local varmit population.
    Standard Primer
    Unique propellant
    .457 RB
    All adds up to major smiles for me. 725

Boolit Master

Here is why I own a 458 Lott. I'm sure this is the same loading....

Doug

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n13785373

Boolit Master
    My favorite load in 45/70 uses 2 ball. At 50 yds. they print less than a 2" group.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    I use round ball (.350) in my 348 Win. Unsized once fired cases, ball seated over the start of the ogive with a very light crimp. 8 to 10 grains of 5744 with large pistol primer. Pretty much as accurate at 25 yds as most 22 rf's.

The 348 has virtually no throat as do many 45-70 lever guns which I believe lends itself to round ball. How much throat in your Pedersoli?

Boolit Bub

Round ball

Lee round ball mold casts at 147 gr. with WWts. used WW cases and Lrprimers.
    Ruger #3 22 in brl. 3x9 scope. Ball seated flush with case neck.

10.0 Gr. Unique ..1235..1249..1274 fps.....3 shots/ 100 yds...2.0 inch

2 x Round ball Load at 294 grains
    14.8 gr. Unique...1472..1489..1498 fps....3 shots/ 100yds /6 holes in 5 inch square.

One rnd ball seated " over" 1.5 gr. Bullseye...466...461..440 fps ...3 shots/25 yds/1.40 inch.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Round Ball

I shoot 3-1/2 grains of Red Dot. Accurate to 40 yards, Kills squirrel's and small game. Load is so quit you can hear the hammer drop(Gallery Load). Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    I use round balls all the time. Some loads I have used are 5 gr and 10 gr FFG black with the ball pushed all the way down in the case on top of the powder. 5, 10 and 15 gr of Unique same ball pushed down on top of powder. Also my version of the Army Guard cartridge which is 40 gr FFFG black with three balls. The last ball is crimped about midway into the case. I use unsized brass for all these loads. My favorite is the 10 gr of Unique load. very accurate in every rifle I have tried it and I have taken raccoon, coyotte and squirrels with the load to my total satisfaction. I use pure lead for the balls and Lee liquid alox for lube on the balls.

Boolit Grand Master

If I can find a copy I did an article a few years ago on gallery loads, history, photos and loads for b/p and smokeless.

Boolit Master
    Found a unused mould in a bunch I had surplus from a trade now to cast some and play. Thanks guys had no use for the mould until now.

Boolit Buddy

Gallery Loads

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If I can find a copy I did an article a few years ago on gallery loads, history, photos and loads for b/p and smokeless.
    Sure would like to glom onto a copy of that, KCSO.

I've got "Yard and Garden" problems, ...in a formerly rural area with all of the problems associated with "Development".....hell, when it was rural (not all that long ago, there were no pest problems.....?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

GTC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfireoops View Post
    Sure would like to glom onto a copy of that, KCSO.

I've got "Yard and Garden" problems, ...in a formerly rural area with all of the problems associated with "Development".....hell, when it was rural (not all that long ago, there were no pest problems.....?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas,

GTC
    I know that feeling.

When we first moved here we had two neighbors, the rest was trees. Now - condos and houses as far as you can see.

Oh yeah, and strip malls - can't have too many of them!

City people wanting to livev in the country.

I could use a copy of that article also, for varmits.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Have shot one, two, and three ball loads in 45-70, all with sucess. One ball at about 800-1000 fps. would be a dandy critter load to possibly all the way to 50, but for sure to 25. Same for 2 balls! However, it is a real kick to shoot 3 ball loads that out to 25 ysd. will stay in right at 3-3 1/2" in my #1. It is an equal kick to load ball loads in a 444. 5 fast out of a Marlin Lever in my early Marlin stayed all in the black. Mean varmint load for both 2 or 4 legged critters. I also use LLA as a RB lube on my round balls, :'
    1Shirt!

In Remembrance
    I have an original, in a box marked Marlin Firearms, Ideal 457 RB mould. It is stamped 457129 and I would think the 129 is the weight? I guess I'll have to use it for the first time and cast some 45-70 round balls. Or, to maintain collector value, maybe I should just order a Lee. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    7mazo kid:

No, weight is about 145 grs. in pure lead; that ...129 is the cherry number, which Ideal and their successors at Marlin used 1897 - 1915 (I assume that this is the style with the blocks integral with the handles). It is something of a collectors item, especially with the box, but perfectly OK to cast with if you treat it right. After Lyman took over the Ideal line in late 1925, they introduced the removable blocks with separate handles; several years later, they "retired" the RB cherry numbers and started re-using them for new designs. #287129 was assigned in 1962 to a 125-gr. 7mm RN gas-check mould that lasted until 1978. I actually have an early Lyman loose-block .457 RB mould marked "457129".

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 12-17-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just for general info on this subject. ALWAYS MAKE CERTAIN THE BALL HAS LEFT THE BARREL BEFORE FIRING THE NEXT ROUND. At the low velocity we are talking about a multiple ball load JUST might not get out of the muzzle. It MOST likely will only BULGE the barrel and not blow it apart,BUT>>>! I have used these loads with a couple different powders(PB and others)! They ARE a lot of fun and quite deadly on small close critters.

In Remembrance
    Floodgate, you are correct in that the mould block is integral with the handles. I should have remembered the "129" was the cherry number...Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Here is why I own a 458 Lott. I'm sure this is the same loading....

Doug

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n13785373
    I bought the 77 ruger in Lott for africa cause although I wasnt big on DG I figured I'd have the gun just incase a certain animal would take my fancy. Since I've seen its versatility I just cant part with er

Quite an interesting thread!

KCSO, I remember your article quite well and if you can find it please re-post it, it needs putting out here again.

It's nice to see interest in round ball and gallery load shooting out there, light loads have a very significant place in what we do.

I started doing round ball loads in 1987after I read an article in AMERICAN RIFLEMAN about "cheap" low-cost shooting and when the different shooting forums came along on the Internet I started advocating using round balls to stay in shape during the winter besides having quiet loads for when quiet loads are needed.

I like using my old Finn 91/30 Mosin-Nagant with 0.311" 45-grain round balls powered by 3-grains Unique or Red Dot instead of my .22 rifle for little jobs since I use my old Finn a lot already and like it a lot. The only thing I have to remember is that the round ball shots go somewhere around one minute of angle off to the left from full house 7.62x54R loads and I have to use the white paint dot on the rear sight I put there for round ball shooting. At 100 feet with round balls that rifle is good for right around an inch accuracy, a grunt or so bigger than the diameter of a Pepsi bottle cap.

Ten years ago I tried to get a new Ruger #1 in .458 Winmag or Lotte and there just weren't any right then so I had to settle for Winchester's pre-1964 replica M70 in .458 Winmag that they were making at the time. Nice rifle and a classic, but for sure not a classic falling block! I chose the .458 Winmag instead of a .45-70 because I realized that the .458 Winmag is just a .45-70 "long" as far as performance goes. Maybe some day I'll get a Ruger #1 since there are a few thousand more available now than there were back in 1997. As far as shooting my .458 Winmag M70 Winchester, I have fired many more round ball loads through it than any other loading since I am not a glutton for bruising myself up real good, that baby will do it for sure, and the .458 Lotte and .460 Weatherby make this old man cringe!
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast