Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Redding Hydraulic Dampened Scale

Redding Hydraulic Dampened Scale

I just picked up an old Redding scale. It says on the box that it is hydraulic dampened.

There is an aluminum fin on the bottom of the beam, hanging into a cavity on the base. I assume some kind of fluid goes in there to dampen the beam...

What fluid is used for this? Water? Some kind of light oil?
    Last edited by HNSB; 01-23-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Oil, and it tends to wick up the the scale frame and collect dust. If you run without it it takes forever for the beam to settle. Mine seemed to be a very accurate scale but I don't miss it due to those issues.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Oils will wick up, or spill and make a mess when -not if- you knock it over. Use glycerine.
    Heck, water will work. Just don't leave it in there when not in use.

I'm thinking about isopropyl alcohol now...

Boolit Master
    I've never experienced any problems with refined, light-weight oil.. Don't use vegetable oil, as it will turn rancid, and attract tiny, winged things.

Mineral oil, baby oil, glycerine are all sold where they sell rubbing alcohol, and they won't evaporate like alcohol will.

Quote Originally Posted by HNSB View Post
    I'm thinking about isopropyl alcohol now...

Le Loup Solitaire
    The early Reddings with the "fin" that extended down into the reservoir were designed to use oil of some sort. The system was designed to slow the swing of the beam and speed up the weighing. There are several different types of oils that could be used, but a light machine oil such as 3 in 1 would/could do the job. For some users it was more messy than it was worth especially if draining the stuff out of the unit. I have used 2 Reddings for a long time and never used the "oil dampening" feature. The scale is an accurate affair and was very popular; many were sold onto the market. I slowed the beam on mine by placing the point of an ordinary pencil below the swinging pointer below the mid point and this worked for me. Alcohol would work, but it is not as thick as oil, so it would be less of a dampener, but you could just let it evaporate when done. Oil also attracts dust and eventually has to be swabbed out/cleaned. Try your scale with and/or without the oil and see which way you prefer to go. LLS

Boolit Man
    I've just been using 5-W-30, and haven't noticed any wicking, but I only filled to the level of the paddle, not right to the top.
    Mine is in a cupboard behind a normally closed door, so it hasn't really attracted any dust.
    Mine is quick enough to zero, I help it by slowing the swings with my finger, but I've done that with all my mechanical scales.

Moderator Emeritus
    I'm currently use ATF in mine as that is what's handy.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Here's the instruction sheet...

Redding and Hunter #1 Scale Instructions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I'm currently use ATF in mine as that is what's handy.

If you can't see the instruction sheet it says to fill with 30 weight to 1/4 inch from the top of the reservoir.
    Ef yore so smart why ain't you rich!

Thanks for the Instruction Sheet AZBen. I have the box, but no instructions.....
    Looking for a Brown Bair I

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ARTCA
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Grand Master

The fluid in the reservoir needs to have more viscosity than water or alcohol or it'll take just as long to "center" as no liquid at all. I tried a bunch of liquids in my old Redding but settled on 2 cycle motor oil. Not too thick as to make weighing slow, and not too thin either. But the above posts are correct, they can be messy!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    If your Redding has the 1/10 grain graduations under the pointer, you can use it without oil and take your measurements "on the fly". Lets assume that you have set the poise for 50 grains and the pointer oscillates between +0.3 and -0.5 grains. The difference is 0.2 on the low side. Half of the difference is 0.1 on the low side so the charge is 49.9 grains. Thy it a few times to satisfy yourself that the pointer will settle out at half the difference in the readings.

I look at the high reading, note what the low reading is, then look to see that the pointer comes back to the high reading again. If it does I am good to go. If not, its time to see of the pointer is rubbing on something or if the pivot points need to be cleaned.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several different oil damped scales - They are all very accurate and reliable. They are all far better made than anything produced in the last few years. The beams are nicely engraved, the poise notches usually very positive, the knife edges of more substantial design and the fact that many have a full scale range of only 300 grains all help with sensitivity and accuracy.

My favourite oil damped scale is an old Webster with adjustable sensitivity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131206_184828_zps90b05590.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	153596

Boolit Master
    Aroma Therapy Oils!

Lavender for Benchrest

Sage for Varments

Eucalyptus for pistol when you have a bad cold.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

The Redding #1 was my first scale, used it with 3- In-One oil, you want something with some viscosity but not too thick.
    I used it from 1969 until two years ago when it was stolen !!!!! But anything with magnetic dampening has got oil beat six ways to Sunday. Oil is just messy.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Cleaning my reloading area a couple a days a go I ran my old Redding. It was and still a great scale. As stated above it can be a mess. Anyway a cleaned it up, added a little oil and compared it to my new magnetic one and weighed a bullet on each scale and both scales agreed with each other. Cleaned it up and put back into its original box. I am not a hoarder but close.
    TF