RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long for Lee liquid alox to dry?

Boolit Master

How about plowshares?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know what I do wrong with tumble lubes, but It is something I wish I could get to work. Just yesterday I decided to try them with a .45 acp. probably a better cal. to use tumble lube in. I used a lee 230RN tumble lube slug and here are my results. I fired 10 rounds each.

1) 1 coat Alox: streaking towards the end of barrel
    2) 2 coats Xlox: streaking towards the end of barrel
    3) 1 heavy coat of 45-45-10: Minimal streaking towards end of barrel
    4) dipped 45-45-10 (This is more of a liquid because I put to much mineral spirits in):No leading
    5) 3 coats of 45-45-10 (This was in a different bottle that somehow thickened and was more on the runny side, but not liquid): streaking towards the end of barrel
    6)Carnauba: No leading

Alox was flying all over the board and I almost took out a supporting wood leg of my target stand, so I didn't use a target for 1-5. I only tested for leading. #6 lubed with carnauba held a 2" group at 15 yds. But that's not tumble lube. I had to heat the LAM2 to get it to fill the little grooves on the TL designed boolit.

I wish I could get tumble lube to work successfully for me, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How long for Lee liquid alox to dry?
    It all depends! Temperature & humidity govern the drying time.
    Me? I cheat ... 1st couple of hours in increments in the evening, warm the coated bullets up with a hair Dryer. Then in the morning - Done!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    I loaded some LLA tumble-lubed 9mm BOOLITS yesterday that I thought were dry or dry enough. I had problems with the LLA gathering up at the case mouth after seating the BOOLITS.
    The LLA wouldn't let the case headspace in the chamber right and so the slide on my semi-otto wouldn't go all the way forward and close.
    Had to take each and every case and wipe off the "gooooo" to get it all to work.
    They shot good though...with NO lead-ing.
    Or I should say the Lyman moulded BOOLITS shot good. The Lee cast BOOLITS didn't do as good accuracy wise.

Boolit Master
    I often load them the next day or so. Just make sure you aren't using too much.

Outside of heavy .44 mag or .357 loads the LLA hasn't ever disappointed me.

I will add that using recluse/ WLL 45-45-10 makes it worlds better- dries more quickly, with less tackiness, and lubricates just as well.
    Last edited by Echd; 04-03-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Banned

try adding about 20-25% bees wax to that 45/45/10 lube and heating everything up before lubing.
    cut down how much you use.
    add more mineral spirits [I use 50%]
    get the boolits hot to the touch with a hair dryer and just put a small amount of the lube in a batch at a time.
    I use a fork and let the lube drip on the boolits while shaking them around.
    the lube will run right through and put a light coat on the boolits.
    dry in front of a fan.
    size.
    do another coat.
    I use this method in my 8 mauser and 45/70 rifles with no problems.
    the lube dries in about 1/2 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    BangerJim, you wasted that stuff. It works great under your fenders.

Gear
    Good belt dressing too, stopped the squeal with just a few drops. I thin the stuff with mineral spirits if I'm going to use it on bullets, leaves a thinner coat and dries faster. I usually dip the shanks in it then set them on wax paper to dry.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

No way would I use that LLA on my Boolits. I love it for Cosmoline coating of long storage steel parts. Thin it with odorless mineral spirits and I spray multiple coats. Works wonders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I found out ( the hard way) that when the Lee Alox gets any age to it ...it thickens and getting a thin coat is nearly impossible .
    I thinned my alox with Mineral Spirits ... this helped me get a thin coat that would actually dry ... Two super thin coats that dry are best .

If you have sticky lubed boolits ... dust them in Motor Mica or even Talcum Powder .
    When push comes to shove ... Johnsons Baby Powder (now corn starch) will work ...
    a light dusting is all it takes ! No longer sticky ... and ...They smell good too !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I tried Lee Alox too.......now I use Rooster Jacket. It dries in my shop in around 3 hours.

https://bernardlab.com/rooster-lab-p...-brass-polish/

Boolit Master
    If I'm going to size the bullets I apply a thin coat first, size, then another thin coat. I believe years ago this is what the instructions suggested if bullets are to be sized.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    try adding about 20-25% bees wax to that 45/45/10 lube and heating everything up before lubing.
    cut down how much you use.
    add more mineral spirits [I use 50%]
    get the boolits hot to the touch with a hair dryer and just put a small amount of the lube in a batch at a time.
    I use a fork and let the lube drip on the boolits while shaking them around.
    the lube will run right through and put a light coat on the boolits.
    dry in front of a fan.
    size.
    do another coat.
    I use this method in my 8 mauser and 45/70 rifles with no problems.
    the lube dries in about 1/2 hour.

That beeswax addition is a great idea ... should help with both drying and leading !
    ATTABOY !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123