Thread: Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Boolit Mold
    Powderbuythrpound
    Super durable wet red
    Dry tumble with airsoft bb's (tumble in case tumbler 30 min 1 coat
    Stand up method
    400 for 10 min

My method is a pita but it gets the job done
    These are .312-155 I'll size to .308 for my BLK.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I had already written a post but I had no answer: maybe I had the wrong place!
    since there are two types of powder for painting I would like to know if it is better to use epoxy powders or polyester powders.
    I read that you cook at 400 ° (I assume F ° !!!) which corresponds to 200 ° C, which is the temperature used for epoxy powders (the polyester powders polymerize at 356F ° !!!). But I have seen that some employ the times used for cooking polyester powders 20 min. !!!) !!!
    At this point I have not understood anything! What kind of powder do you use? Epoxies or polyesters? It is useless to tell me the name of the seller, because in Italy it is most likely not found!

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    I had already written a post but I had no answer: maybe I had the wrong place!
    since there are two types of powder for painting I would like to know if it is better to use epoxy powders or polyester powders.
    I read that you cook at 400 ° (I assume F ° !!!) which corresponds to 200 ° C, which is the temperature used for epoxy powders (the polyester powders polymerize at 356F ° !!!). But I have seen that some employ the times used for cooking polyester powders 20 min. !!!) !!!
    At this point I have not understood anything! What kind of powder do you use? Epoxies or polyesters? It is useless to tell me the name of the seller, because in Italy it is most likely not found!
    Look for:
    Polyester gloss that has TGIC in.
    200C for 15 - 20 minutes.

Almost any CLEAR (no pigment) works extremely well. Clear coated after firing

Boolit Man
    Just tried my first powder coating attempt ever with Eastwood Ford Light Blue. A minute or so of shaking in a #5 tub, 20 minutes of cooking after initial melt, and they came out great! They ran through a Star sizer without a problem.

Thanks to all who contribute to these posts! I've been casting now for about 8 years, and always get great info from the posters here.

Boolit Buddy
    bisher-arthur:

The red boolits:
    That looks awfully thick. Is that just one coat? How much did this increase the diameter of the boolit?
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

WAY too thick!
    Whatever!

Banned
    bisher.arthur they should look more like this, thin even coating (GC then PC) . you need to shake. tap of all the excess PC

Looks like you built up way too much static cut the cast tumblet time back to case tumbler 10-15 min (maybe less)

Boolit Buddy
    I've completed my first few PC attempts, powder from ptbp. Keep in mind that I'm on the "wet side" of Washington. So my issues with Signal Blue might simply indicate it is more sensitive to relative humidity, which seems to run about 80% + this time of year.

Signal blue - Kinda sorta worked once, but really doesn't want to stick.
    Wine Red - Seemed to work the best
    Crystal Clear Super Durable High Gloss Clear - That stuff goes on THICK. I might try mixing it with some signal blue and hope for a coating similar to the Wine Red.

Boolit Master
    Shake them and then shake them some more. Have a wire basket that will allow the bullets some room to move thus getting the excess powder off. When you first start out there is something in the back of our minds that says,don't shake too much all of the powder will come off. Don't listen to the little voice. Keep at it. You will develop what works best for you.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Have watched a few vids on utube. Some guys prebake a few mins their projectiles prior to coating. Suspect that might be to insure they are "dry". I have had good results generally, but had one bad batch with clumping when humidity was too high.

DIY bullets, now if we only had a better primer source.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderdude View Post
    HF Red is working for me right now. I'm on course to have 1 lb cover about 2500 mixed 9mm and .45 bullets.

Gear:
    Applied via HF Electrostatic gun
    Bullets stood up on Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Foil on baking sheets
    Oster convection toaster oven
    Lee tumble lube 124gr round nose .356

Test Gun:
    CZ 75BD Police 9mm, bore slugged at .356

1 ES coat of HF Red
    Baked 4 mins @375F, 3 mins @400F
    12 BHN
    Sized down from .360 to .357

9mm: 4.1 gr Unique, OAL 1.088, Tulammo SP primers

I had hell getting 9mm to work in anything. I was ending up with leading every time I turned around. Magma lube didn't fix it. 50/50 didn't fix it. Ben's Red didn't fix it. ALOX didn't fix it. 45-45-10 didn't fix it. .358 boolits didn't fix it. Extra hard didn't fix it. Extra soft didn't fix it. I was near giving up.

It was then that you 21st Century pioneers showed me the way. Not only are these boolits accurate, not only are they pretty, not only do they minimize lead exposure, but they shoot CLEAN. My first experiments yesterday landed 16/16 shots on steel and the barrel looked like it'd just been cleaned. 12 mags later, and only minor powder fouling is present in the bore.
    NOOB query: Pls. explain the "tumble lube"step in the PC process. Thanks. I'm gunna PC when I order some powder.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    NOOB query: Pls. explain the "tumble lube"step in the PC process. Thanks. I'm gunna PC when I order some powder.
    Easy get plastic container put about 30 to 50 bullets in the container with some Air Soft BBs then shake until they are coated with powder. Put on a tray and cook for 20 minutes at 400 F. This is overly simple way and keep reading as the finer details will come out then.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Banned
    These are actual pictures of swirl, sift off BB's and PC, stand up and bake 25 min @400° in a preheated oven

Boolit Buddy
    Conditor 22: Beautiful PC'd boolits! Thanks for sharing.

Do you find a significant difference in film thickness of the different powders.
    In other words: If you had a boolit that was too small in diameter and you wanted to make it larger you would use X powder, and if the boolit was close to the diameter you desire and you want to PC with the least increase in diameter possible, you would use Y powder. Which powders would you recommend for those divergent applications?
    Last edited by rockydoc; 05-01-2021 at 03:53 PM.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Man

Prismatic

Color: Ink Black – PSS-0106
    Num of Coats: 1
    PoP: Prismatic
    Temp: 400F for 25 minutes in preheated oven
    MoA: Dry Tumble with pony beads
    Prognosis: Works.

Color: Clear Vision - PPS-2974

Color: Gloss White - PSS-5690

Color: Hunter Green - PSS-1610

All 4 of these powders are working for me. I preheat oven to 400 while I tumble a batch.
    For now I am standing them up with tweezers but that may change later.
    Swirl around in a #5 container for about 30 Seconds, load on tray with parchment paper.
    Bake for 25 minutes and they are good to go.

Boolit Mold
    I tried to PC some boolits that I made with my Lee 309 230 the other night. This was my first attempt at PC. I preheat boolits for 4 min at 140 .I used HF flat black, shake and bake method, no air soft bbs. The boolits would only take on spots of the PC. I reheated and tried again. It just made a mess so I melted those boolits down and ordered some Eastwood light Ford blue.
    There are no dangerous weapons; There are only dangerous men.

Robert A Heinlein

Boolit Bub
    There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Crack me up

edited: Sorry, I saw this on a post here & HAD to steal it

Boolit Buddy
    The only powder I've used is Smoke's Traffic Purple and it has worked like a charm. Shake with bb's, stand on parchment paper, bake 20 min at 400, size, load and shoot.

My best accuracy has been with bullets that required the least amount of sizing. For me, that's been 9mm bullets shot out of 357 bores. Any time I size more than .002 accuracy goes out the window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pcsizing.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RufusBuck View Post
    I tried to PC some boolits that I made with my Lee 309 230 the other night. This was my first attempt at PC. I preheat boolits for 4 min at 140 .I used HF flat black, shake and bake method, no air soft bbs. The boolits would only take on spots of the PC. I reheated and tried again. It just made a mess so I melted those boolits down and ordered some Eastwood light Ford blue.
    HF Black does not work for shake and bake (ironically, I think that was the very first or second post in this forum).

If you don't want to waste the HF Black, you can try the piglet method (do a search for more info) where you create a slurry of HF Black and mineral spirits, then wet tumble. There is no need to bake using this method (unless I'm mis-remembering)

Boolit Master
    A while back I shopped around and decided on Prismatic. I really did not find anything for less and I found no complaints for Prismatic.

I got RAL 4005 Purple and Ford Dark Blue. Cost was under $12 per pound plus $6.95 for shipping.

The purple worked great. Very easy to get full coverage with ASBB shake & bake.

The blue kinda worked some, but getting coverage was hit or miss. I can get some use out of it by mixing with the purple. I recommend avoiding this one.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-08-2022 at 08:28 PM.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast