Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Powder availability problem

Boolit Buddy
    Don't forget those people who don't reload/shoot who go to stores & buy every thing they see to resell in they shopper ads to turn a big profit. I have seen ads for powder that were bought for $30 offered for $60. Needless to say the powder didn't sell because most shops had the powder they bought on the shelves, plus no one would pay that much for it.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    I have been able to get some of the powders I need online, BUT you have to be ready to pounce when they become available. The local stores don't have anything, and when they do it is $30 a pound.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the government is behind it because Obama sold so many guns and created to many new reloaders and scared all the old ones into buying more supplies maybe hes getting kick backs from the manufactures?

It is really websites like this one that drive the hording it all thats talked about pretty soon you think you need more powder and 22 shells ect Happens to me all the time after coming on here I start thinking I need more stuff then go into the basement and realize I could shoot more than the average hunter for the next 60 years or so

I better go get a new roll of tinfoil Obama just told me to go buy 23 million 22lr

Boolit Master

On Target in Kalamazoo and Schantz Supply over in Otsego. Both have quite a selection of powders and primers as of right now. Most staples like 2400 and the IMR powders and Accurate powders are on hand. Unique was a little thin but there.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    between that and all the prepper shows on TV. Its a monkey see world

Boolit Master

Well I agree with the monkey see comment there. I know that when shortages are discussed I always have the urge to go resupply something. Prices usually keep that urge under control somewhat. Still, I seem to have what I need when others don't.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonas302 View Post
    Happens to me all the time after coming on here I start thinking I need more stuff then go into the basement and realize I could shoot more than the average hunter for the next 60 years or so

I better go get a new roll of tinfoil Obama just told me to go buy 23 million 22lr
    Hunters? Really? I guess that's all the shooting anyone should need or want to do. Hunting is all there is. Sure no other reason to shoot huh?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Hunters? Really? I guess that's all the shooting anyone should need or want to do. Hunting is all there is. Sure no other reason to shoot huh?

Rick
    He didn't say that. I read it as he can shoot more than the average hunter. Nothing wrong w/ that. The average hunter by me shoots maybe 20 rounds a year.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYCUTTER View Post
    Very simple answer btroj. HOMELAND SECURITY and a lot of other gov't. agencies including the usps bought millions of round of ammunition and still have orders not filled which comes first before ammunition goes out to the public sector.
    Did you do any research on this one? Because its been thoroughly debunked by the ammo manufacturers themselves. They stated that it has little to no effect on the civilian market. The contracts are also over a long period of time w/ quantities of "up to." The government did not buy all of it at once. And they might not buy the full amount in the contract.

Boolit Master
    Since at least 2008, the primer and powder shortages have been caused, solely, by that image that is reflected back to us whenever we look in a mirror.

Conspiracies are for those who refuse to accept reality.

Banned

AND the real kicker is!!!!! The millions of dollars the government collects in sales and excise taxes that they use to create more laws to take our toys away from us!!!

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Since at least 2008, the primer and powder shortages have been caused, solely, by that image that is reflected back to us whenever we look in a mirror.

Your perception is your reality. If you don't believe anything you see, then nothing matters anyway because you'll never accept it. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Boolit Master

It wasn't obama that caused me to buy a gun it was the media and a couple of Senators flapping their jaw. Keep in mind when I bought my first gun last year a retired Cop behind me also was buying his first gun, yup 30 years on the force and he had never bought one or so he said. He was buying a M&P 15/22. My wife has bought two 22s all total we bought 5 guns last year and the ammo to feed then. Times that by a million new gun owners and you can see where all the ammo and reloading supplies are going. I read that Florida had a million back ground check in 2013 but couldn't say how many guns were sold and that is just Florida.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    There is truth behind some of them. They all aren't complete and utter nonsense. But I do agree that there is no conspiracy theory behind the shortages. It's simple supply and demand and people blatantly ignore this fact.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on the supply and demand wagon.
    I was on off days when Sandyhook happened and was sitting at the computer watching coverage.
    I said to myself boy is this gonna cause some **** - seen it before and I needed primers and powder
    for some handgun applications.
    Went right to my choice of on line suppliers and hit the buy button on cases and jugs of what I knew I was
    low on in my opinion.
    Within a week primers were gone and powder was drying up, ammo gone.
    Guess I'll go watch for the black helicopters

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    It wasn't obama that caused me to buy a gun it was the media and a couple of Senators flapping their jaw. Keep in mind when I bought my first gun last year a retired Cop behind me also was buying his first gun, yup 30 years on the force and he had never bought one or so he said. He was buying a M&P 15/22. My wife has bought two 22s all total we bought 5 guns last year and the ammo to feed then. Times that by a million new gun owners and you can see where all the ammo and reloading supplies are going. I read that Florida had a million back ground check in 2013 but couldn't say how many guns were sold and that is just Florida.

NO, the media didn't cause the shortage.

We, shooters and reloaders, caused the problem. We saw a perceived threat to our hobby and we began to stock up. Supplies got a bit tight and panic set in. No different than a run on anything else.

Face it, people are very easy to panic. Look at generators and such with the Y2K scare.

Boolit Grand Master

You will never convince the majority of shooters that they are the problem. They really like to fool themselves and deny the facts. I just wish the dragons would stop hoarding all the 22 ammo.

Interesting to note that many of you mention the Sandy Hook shooting as a catalyst for the shortages.
    It seems to me the shortages started well before a year ago. Supplies have been scarce around here for well over 2 years. The only things I know for certain about the timing is that it all has been a reaction to a supposed threat to what we like to do.
    I would have thought the manufacturers would be getting caught up by now. Most say they are working as many shifts of production as they can manage. Seems it still isn't enough for demand.

I realize Obama would like nothing better than to have us all disarmed. So far there have been enough congressmen listening to us to keep his policy wishes in check. How much longer this can go on I have no idea.
    I do remember a quote from a congressman a few years back. I can't remember which one but it fits a lot of them.

He said" I am not against guns. I just don't want anyone to have them but my own people."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYCUTTER View Post
    Very simple answer btroj. HOMELAND SECURITY and a lot of other gov't. agencies including the usps bought millions of round of ammunition and still have orders not filled which comes first before ammunition goes out to the public sector.
    USPS buying ammo? Are they planning on going postal?

Boolit Grand Master
    So homeland security buying 40 S&W ammo caused a shortage in H4831? What about Varget, made in Australia. What about Vihtavouri powders from Europe?
    How does a handgun ammo purchase cause disruption in the supply chain for rifle and shotgun powders? Or in powder made overseas?

Again, this is all BS. These powders are not made in the same country nor used for the same type of ammo.

Me thinks some people need to check the fit on their tinfoil hats, I think it is sliding over their eyes and causing visual problems, they can't seem to see reality.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    How did the government cause part of the supply problem? Did they lay off workers? Close plants? Interfere with supply chains? Are they buying up powder stocks?

I keep hearing about how the government is behind this but nobody ever knows how! Come on guys, share the info! Precisely how did the government cause the supply problem?
    The government did not cause it by creating a supply problem. Because of stated desires of people in positions of power many people came to the conclusion that guns, ammo, and components would increase in price and acted. This created a demand problem. Some acted out of paranoia, some out of far sightedness some actually wanted them for their own use and decided to bite the bullet and make the purchase now. Others decided to wait. The ones who made the purchases early are glad that they did except for those who were planning on reselling and waited too long.
    Many of the ones who waited are yelling hoarding instead of saying "Well c**p i missed that one."
    It was not caused by government action but by threats of government action.
    Last edited by rhead; 02-01-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast