Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Powder availability problem

Powder availability problem

I have exactly one pound of 800x on hand and no options locally for normally listed pistol powders. I am looking to increase my supply and choices.
    In that vein, I searched and called every establishment within 80 miles I could that might possibly have powder on hand. None had powder. Few had primers or ammunition available.
    No one offered any expectation of the situation changing anytime soon, as in the next 2 or 3 months.

I did find an large quantity of Winchester Super Handicap available at a reasonable price.

Is this powder suitable for light to medium loads in 9mm and 38 special?

It falls halfway between titegroup and Winchester 231 on the burn rate chart but I have not seen any data and cannot find any one who has experience loading this powder.
    If anyone on this site has any information about it's suitability for these cartridges, and any starting load data, I would appreciate hearing about it.
    Thanks in advance
    Tazman

Banned

Scheels in IA City had 800 and 700X yesterday.

Thanks for the reply tomme.

Iowa City is 135 miles one way from my house.
    I would prefer to find something a bit closer if possible.
    That's why I asked about the wsh powder. It is within 30 miles and in quantity.

Boolit Grand Master

Check with Winchester for data. Call them and ask.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance
    Ventured around town today for a look see. 50 BMG powder was the only thing available, and just one pound left of it. lol But yesterday was powder stocking day. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Ventured around town today for a look see. 50 BMG powder was the only thing available, and just one pound left of it. lol But yesterday was powder stocking day. lol
    Seems to be a lot of that kind of thing going around.
    Most of the local gun shops in the area around me told me they have a regular clientele who always come in when they know powder will arrive.
    Some even said they will call their regular customers when something comes in and will leave nothing for anyone else. They claimed that all expected supplies were taken for at least the next 3 months.
    Makes it hard for a new customer to become a regular customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Check with Winchester for data. Call them and ask.
    Since Winchester powder is now managed by Hodgdon I tried to find out if some one had contacted them about wsh powder for 9mm and I found some one who had.
    This was his post.
    From the highroad website
    "aHFo3
    September 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
    I finally called Hodgdon. There are no handgun applications for Winchester Super Handicap AA powder."

I suspect this is due to them not wanting to work any load data up because they already have enough powders specific for pistol use. As many have found out, other powders will work quite well for pistol that the manufacturer has said no application exists. They have also said this about wst and wsf in times past.
    I may have to experiment and see if I can work one up myself.

Get some buddies together and share hazmat
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...X1&src=tpSlrHm
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    Over the last 3 months I have been able to buy the following powders from Powder Valley and Bruno's Shooter Supply: AA4350, Promo, 2400, SR4759, AA5744, IMR4198. I "worked" hard for it: checked their web sites 15-20 times per day, 7 days a week. Struck when I found what I was looking for. The ONLY powder I haven't been able to find anywhere is IMR4895/H4895. I finally broke down and bought 3lbs. from a seller on GunBroker. Bought an M1 Rifle and just had to have it. My local Bass Pro has powders on occasion, but a lot of it is medium-slow rifle powders like Leverevolution etc.

Boolit Grand Master

These threads have been popping up more as of late. All I have to say is have hope. Almost everything is back in stock by me. In quantity and at normal prices. If its happened here it should be getting to you soon enough. I picked up 2400 and 4895 last weekend, along w/ a lot of primers.

Around here prices vary a LOT. Primers anywhere from $32 to $40 a thousand.
    Powder in 1LB containers runs from$30 to $40 in most stores.
    In the original post I mentioned finding Winchester super handicap in quantity and cheap(for here). Was priced at $18 per pound and I could get all I wanted. I just need loading data for it.

Love Life
    Get some friends together and order it online...or do without. $28 is cheap compared to gas, cheeseburgers, and sitting at home wishing you were shooting.

That's what I have been doing. I thought I was set for life, and then I had to go and pick up a new caliber during a powder/primer/anything reloading shortage.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

According to the Winchester Powder site Titegroup is the next faster powder from Win. Super Hanicap.
    http://www.wwpowder.com/burn-rate.html

In that case one should be able to work up a loads using GreenDot or any of the faster powders in the immediate vicinity of WSH. It appears there isn't any data available but that shouldn't hamper a person from figuring it out.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master

That's what I have been doing. I thought I was set for life, and then I had to go and pick up a new caliber during a powder/primer/anything reloading shortage. -Love Life

That's why I (try to ) avoid adding new cartridges to my reloading efforts, each often costs as much as the firearm that chambers it. Finding new powders just to try adds a new layer of difficulty these days. Sure keeps things interesting, tho. I think I'll go try to score some primers and a cheeseburger before I retire to my reloading room to try to figure out my latest new cartridge.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back to the OP most shotgun powders make excellent light pistol powders, seem to recall WST enjoyed some popularity as a clean alternative for 231 in target 45acp and 35spl loads. I'd start around 2.5 for the .38 and around 4.0 for the 9mm, check to ensure each boolit leaves the bore when starting that low.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    That's why I (try to ) avoid adding new cartridges to my reloading efforts, each often costs as much as the firearm that chambers it. Finding new powders just to try adds a new layer of difficulty these days. Sure keeps things interesting, tho. I think I'll go try to score some primers and a cheeseburger before I retire to my reloading room to try to figure out my latest new cartridge.
    It has been so worth it!!
    Last edited by Love Life; 01-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It as been so worth it!!
    Sometimes I wonder, my friend. I truly wonder. My latest adventure has been quite trying but the thutty-thutty project was pretty easy once I overcame the optics issue. Next adventure is to bring my 375 Winchester out of retirement but I have at least half a dozen suitable powders and the Lyman 375449 standing by patiently.
    I need a few challenges to keep life interesting but in a weak moment I envy the blissfully ignorant souls who happily buy their ammo off the shelf.

Love Life
    There are times when I look at the ammo shelves longingly. If Federal had a line of .243 Winchester with 105-115 gr bullets in their Gold Medal Match line for the same price as their 308, I would buy a few boxes.

The pistol stuff is easy to reload. Toss in tumbler, feed to Dillon, done. The rifle stuff can get tedious at times and I think about the amount of time it takes to make match ready ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by pkie44 View Post
    Get some buddies together and share hazmat
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...X1&src=tpSlrHm
    With their new policy of a 10 # per powder and very limited supplies of all powders , one or two 1 # cans is better that nothing
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast