RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada get together for long range-ish shooting

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well I took a ride out to the flat today there is 1 little mud trap just as you pull down on to the flat there is room for probably 10 to 15 pistol shooters to at least 100 yd, and 20 or so shooters for the long range. The flat clocks .35 miles on my odometer. We can put probaly a dozen or more camp trailers on the flat. The entry to the flat is .5 from the asphalt there are some dips and holes but they are easily navigated and shouldn't be a problem. The turn off is 6.4 mi from the US50/US95 about .3 mi past mile marker US95 CH32 toward Lovelock and .7 past marker 33 coming from Lovelock and I-80. I'll get a map and driving directions up tomorrow morning.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Hi Harter66,
    Wonder if a 28' travel trailer would get down that road OK ?? If not, motel, or plant the thing in Fallon.
    Chris

I don't think you will have any trouble, mine is a 16' . Unless you drag in every parking lot you should be good.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

The driving directions.

Date change to 2/21-23

From Reno/Fernly/Carson City ect.
    1 proceed east on US 50 toward Fallon
    2 Pizza Barn is located in the ''mall'' to your right immediately past the 2nd traffic light.
    3 continue approx.1.5 miles to ,3 stop lights, you will turn left at the 4th light Maine street.
    4 proceed 6.4 miles ,watch your speed here as the 35mph zone drags out a half mi past ''where it seems like it shloud end'' they can be ticket happy.

From the south Hawthorne,Bishop,ect
    1 straight into Fallon
    2 left turn at the 1st light to Pizza Barn, 2 stop lights, Pizza Barn is on your left and shares w/Jerry's and Louies Ace Hardware across the street from O'Rielly's auto parts.
    2A to the flat ,right turn at the 1st light (Jack in the Box) left lane , left turn at the next light Maine street
    3 proceed 6.4 miles .

From Austin Ely central Ut
    1 to the flat turn right at the 1st light proceed 6.4 miles .
    2 Pizza Barn will be on your left past the 4th stop light approx 1.5 mi, it shares a parking lot w/Jerry's resturant Louies Ace hardware.

From Windover Elko Winnemucca etc via I-80
    1 take US 95 at Trinity (it used to be a truckstop) it is a sizable rest area.
    2 proceed to mile marker US95 CH33 .
    3 .6 mi past that there is a left turn out/off there is no turn lane and some fast HEAVY truck traffic.
    4 to Pizza Barn , turn right at the 1st light past the 3rd light you will see Jerry's resturant , Louies Ace hardware on your left Pizza Barn shares the parking lot, Orielly's auto parts is on the right.

The last step here at about 6.2 miles you will see mile marker US95 CH 32 there is a right hand turn out/off w/about 2'' drop of the asphalt this will take you straight out into the desert about .5 mile as of 1/25/14 this had 3-4 mud puddles but was other wise typlical of the hard packed desert clay/gravel roads w/little to no washboard. This will make a left turn and drop you on to the flat . Both the high way and the flat are basically invisable up to this point. I intend to fly Ol' Glory about 20 ft up so that should help after you leave the highway.
    Last edited by Harter66; 01-28-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: saved by my proof reader,dually noted that 2/14 is the ladies holiday

Boolit Master
    Thinking the sewer line on that trailer is lower than I want to chance out there without looking at the road first. Thinking motel in Fallon might end up best for this one. I'll get into Gardnerville, Minden, and Carson looking for some Black Powder next week, even a pound should be enough to send a few down range. To Love Life, if you want to check this thing out, give me a call, ( 9940 ) should be home most of the day welding.
    Chris

Any interest in a patch for the event and do we have a name for this? I'm all for '' the Nevada get together'' but it doesn't really ''sing''.

Boolit Master
    Struck out in Gardnerville and Minden today on powder. I'll get to try Carson and Reno next week. As far as a patch goes, I'll pass. No more patches after getting out of the Navy in 71, had enough for my lifetime.
    Chris

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
    Love Life, if you want to talk about it, you know the first 3 numbers of my phone # for those of us in Wellington. Add to that 9940.
    Chris
    I can remember when all the last 4 digits of SV phone numbers started with the number 2! Hey Day used to have breakfast also. Do they still? I know your lake bed Love Life. Have done some shooting there myself before. It is only a skip hop and jump from the location of the original NCBS way back in 2000. It was held in April and we all froze our tuchass's off then. The only way to guarantee that you won't have snow at a Nevada shoot is too wait until it is too @&$%ing hot!

Vendor Sponsor
    Not sure that I can attend and I live in Fallon. Valentine's day is my birthday and I was planning on taking it off and heading out to Walt's neck of the woods. I have a house in McGill and a girlfriend there who's bday is the 16th. Hey Walt! Want to do some ice fishing at Illipah? Any other time and I would be there for sure.

Boolit Master
    Must be not many of you are married, look at what the 14th of Feb is. I just went to mark the calendar for this trip and found it. I'd sure be in some hot water if I headed off for a shooting weekend on Valentine's day weekend. Thinking we ought to rethink the date some, might be way less fallout from out partners. What do you think ???
    Chris

Love Life
    Maybe push the date to the following weekend?

Boolit Master
    We need to at least that, if we don't, most of us will be sleeping on the couch after we return home. Weather permitting of course. I'm good with that, see what the rest say.
    Chris

Works for me . Although I may have mentioned taking the ladies to Tahoe for dinner . 2/14 7/4 12/25 seem like pretty fixed dates as opposed to Easter Sunday....
    My girl was down for it just to go camping and pull the trigger. Its also why I/we leaned away from the rules dinner Fridaynight .

So w/this we shall edit the dates above for 2/21-2/23?

Boolit Master
    Because this is Love Life's idea, think it should be his call for first option, thinking if he wants to call for the weekend of 2/22/2014 - 2/23/2014 I'm good with that date. Only thing that could mess up any date is weather. We don't want to slop around in the mud or snow. This is the time of year for it, and we could sure use some rain or snow. See where Love Life goes with this one,
    Chris

Boolit Master

2-22/23 works better for me.....dale

Love Life
    Lets shift it to the next weekend. Dale can make it then, and our significant others don't beat us with cast iron skillets. Weather permitting of course. They say we are in for snow in February to make us right, but I really don't see 15 ft of snow hitting us!! A beautiful time to live in the shadows of the Pine Nuts and Sierra Nevadas!!

Boolit Master
    Think it's a good call Love Life. That will give me more of a chance to chase the BP for the cannon. Weather due here tomorrow night, but most of that has been weatherman hype so far. My rain gage hasn't moved since December. We would have to get a flood here to somehow " make it right " Think I saw your car ( truck? ) at Holbrook junction a week or so ago if you have personalized plates. Thinking I might tow my trailer over to Fallon and park it in a RV park for the few days we will be there. Bet there will be plenty of open spaces this time of year. Be a good base camp and within easy drive to the area talked about. Worth the diesel. Time to go back to work on the old shotgun.
    Chris
    Last edited by cwheel; 01-29-2014 at 12:30 AM.

My GF is actually disappointed.

These are the same weather guys that said a couple of weeks ago not to expect a drop till September ,aren't they?

Dates amended .

Vendor Sponsor
    cwheel,

Fallon has RV parking at the fairgrounds. Try the county extension office for details. I am in for the weekend following Vday. Having a birthday on Valentines day kind of sucks for a guy. Your woman wants to know what you are getting "her". I tell her "It's my birthday, you get lingerie!" I will check Frontier Liquor for BP.

Don't waste the trip Ammo , they've been barely stocked for 2yr w/just pelleted Shocky's Gold last time I saw any BP like powder. That was a yr ago.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast