Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada get together for long range-ish shooting

Love Life
    Not Tahoe, as awesome as that would be. I like Rich's idea, but the Reno range is very nice. My area is cooler than Rich's by a factor of 10 due to pinion pine, desert creek, solid coyote hunting, etc. Rich lives in the middle of nowhere which is really saying something considering where I live.

I can bring along a couple campstoves if people would prefer to heat up food while out shooting and for heating up coffee. I reckon all I'll be shooting cast out of will by my handguns.

Love Life
    Last post for now.

I will volunteer to be a full time RO since I won't be shooting cast in rifle. All I'll have is this beat up ol' .243 I picked up somewhere....

It'll give me a chance to pass on some knowledge and shoot the breeze. If people want to send me velocities and approx. ballistic coefficients I can do some figuring so we can get on target better once we start stretching out. I want people to push their limits and see how well their loads do when you push distance, and figure out some drop and stuff.

I may wear my ninja gear with Velcro and say "Send it".

Banned

I wonder how many times you'll get punched in the leg after yelling "send it"
    throwing the shot off into California.

Love Life
    I'll wear a tactical thigh holster on each leg. Punch that if you want!! Neener, neener, neener!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I personaly like Fallon . It is well suited the shooting area is close to town,there are rooms,resturants and at least 2 sources to try to resupply should we run out. I have a camp trailer w/a ladies room stove and heater that I'll bring the 75 mi to Fallon for the weekend and figure out signage so we can all find the flat. It shouldn't be a problem for the locals to find.

Tahoe is just 2 hr back north from Fallon . So you could take the Mrs up for dinner Friday or on the way down.

I think as far as meeting Friday goes Pizza Barn will give us the most seating flex.
    The dinner houses will be over booked Friday night I'm sure,so I can post solid driving directions for the flat so no one gets lost.
    I will most likely stay on the flat Friday night so anyone that would like to campfire ,camp out , or come early is welcome. The flat is set up w/what ever we bring other wise it has dunes or berms 300 degrees and an open clay flat w/maybe 6'' of bellyover its lenght. There's no shade. no benchs ,just you and the desert but plenty of room to spred out. The 700 yd length is from plotting on google earth.

We are agreed then on Fallon Nv 89406 2/21-23 w/a lunch rally point on 2/21 ?
    Last edited by Harter66; 01-28-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: date change
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Regardless of the date, would be fun to do. If off a range in the middle of nowhere, might be tempted to put a few down range with the BP cannon. Not to be fired on a range due to safety concerns. Might have to find another target beside Love Life's steel plate. This one puts 1" ball bearings through 3/4" plate. Need to find some 1F BP first, hard to come by now that homeland security is watching this stuff close, can't use Pyrodex with this one.
    Chris

Wheel the flat has about 10 miles of nothing behind it.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Bet Hawthorn has more 1F powder than I could ever use in several lifetimes in storage there. This thing needs one thick berm, or miles behind the target. 275gr. of single F gives around 1250 fps out of the ball. Will put the ball through a car end to end, engine included, and you still have to dig it out.
    Chris

1F I can't vouch for but about 10 yrs ago 250,000# of 40s vintage 16" props burned up in a building. Those that made the news in Lousiana came from some where very close to me. I cried over more than I could shoot in a couple of life times.

Im interested but its too far for me to drive.

Boolit Master
    It would be best that the inventory at Hawthorn remained a big mystery to most.
    I was almost on ground zero in Roseville, CA ( Antelope Rd.) when the bomb train went up in the 70's. Stuff was from Hawthorn. Shock waves were impressive.
    Chris

Love Life
    Did somebody say cannon!? SWEET!!!

I can show up on Friday as well, and will tent camp next to Rich's camper. I can bring some firewood and a cut off burn barrel. I have the steel target and 3 target stands to hold echo targets that you can staple/tape targets on. I'll also bring a staple gun and staples. Anybody got one of those shade thingies?

Boolit Master

Boy, I'd love to make it...

7 1/2 hours one way...

Maybe next year!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Banned

more like 9-10 for me... but I'm going.
    fallon it is.
    I got a shade pop up but it doesn't have sides for shelter it just lets the wind through.
    I also have a portable bench that's not too bad to shoot off of.

gonna have to measure/weigh some new 308 type brass and see if it'll work for my cast load. [the old lot is starting to split the necks]
    I know the drop on it to 300 and might could stretch it out to 400+ if the scope adjustments hold out.
    if not,,, jacketed rounds it'll be in some other rifles.

Boolit Master

I would come but Feb 12-14 are out for me....dale

Dale, it works out rules and shootin' don't start till Saturday at 9.

Dang, I got to pass on this one also. And the travel distance is shortened by a couple hours too. The dates just don't jive with that month for me.
    cwheel if you live out by Ely let me know as I have a can of old blackpowder I use in my GB mortar I'll give ya for that cannon.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the offer NVWalt, but I'm over on the West side of Nevada, about 11 miles East of Topaz lake. 1F black powder is hard to come by in these parts. Common to find 2 or 3F for people shooting ball loaders, guess not to many cannons out there I guess. Minimum shipping quantity is 5 lbs. and with the smokeless stored here, that much could make a find detonator for the rest. Like to find just a couple of pounds. 1lb. = 25 shots. When you get past the first dozen or so, bore needs cleaning.
    Chris

Small world. I lived down by Lake Topaz myself for a few years. Good calling down there for coyotes and cats and the bears are a pain in the rear to have come to your call.North end of Smith Valley was always a good area for me.

Boolit Master
    Smith Valley is where I live, South end of it. Still plenty of critters here, sometimes they are a nuisance. Great place though.
    Chris

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast