RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squib removal rod?

Boolit Bub

Squib removal rod?

New to reloading with about 1,500 rounds loaded so far. No squibs yet but I am sure it happens in the beginning so I thought maybe I should get a brass rod to toss in the range bag. Brownells sells an 8" x.3435" brass rod for $29.99.

I have a friend that works for a supply company. He couldn't find a 5/16" rod (.3135") but was able to get my a 1/4" rod. I am assuming this will work because people say they knock them out with brass cleaning rods.

I hope it will work fine because I've got a 1/4" x 3' rod coming my way.

Sorry if I missed this question answered somewhere. I didn't see it...

Boolit Master
    I have had 2 squibs in 20 years. Usually i use an old brass cleaning rod that i wrap with black tape to about bore diam.
    be prepared to get the hammer out, the j-word 357 i stuck came out very hard and the 44 mag cast came right out. Check every few whacks to make sure you are not driving the rod "into" the boolet. It does not happen as often as you think.
    lab

Boolit Master

I've had it happen 3 times (twice in handguns and once in a rifle). All three times the projectile in question was just ahead of the chamber and easily removed with a piece of 1/4" steel rod. That squib rod from Brownell's sounds good - but $30.00 + shipping for a piece of brass rod 8" long? I'd imagine that I would have considered it a good investment if the boolit was half way down the bore.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Bub
    The 1/4"x3' piece my friend ordered for my was $6.

I thought the $30 from Brownells was a bit excessive.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had it happen only 2 times I can recall. Both loaded on a Dillon 550. Both in 41 Mag. Unknown tens of thousands sent down range. Both caught and no harm no foul. Last one was in a Marlin. Pulled trigger and nothing. Drew hammer back again and nothing. Went to eject and only a casing came out. Odd. I checked for a squib. Didn't want to look down barrel so dropped empty 22 casing down barrel. It didn't pass through, so I put it up for the day, came home and mocked out the boolit with a 20g cleaning rod.

Perma-Banned

You could make one out of a brass rod and a round ball. you should be able to get both at Lowes or home Depot.

bhn22
    You can find what you need at the local hardware store. No need to spend too much.

Boolit Master
    Check around for an industrial supply business and you should be able to buy any size(s) you need. Get your rods 6' long and you can cut 40" off to make a "slugging" rod long enough to slug military bores from the breech and use the rest to make short starter rods etc.
    R.D.M.

Banned

Brass rod is cheap, don't use a cleaning rod. No need to wrap brass but use tape on a steel rod. Round off the edges where the rod was cut and get it close to bore size, don't use a thin rod or you will beat it into the bullet and expand it. Use a big enough hammer.
    I carry a brass rod in my shooting bag, had a lot of fail to ignite with starting loads of 296 in the .454's. Funny to find all the powder in the bore behind a boolit. SR primers!!!!!!!!!!!
    The worst rods to clean with are aluminum and jointed aluminum. The metal loads with dirt and dust. Hard steel, one piece rods are best but always use a muzzle protector or a chamber guide.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a steel rod wrapped in tape. Have slugged barrels with it and never had a problem.

Boolit Master

On the metal rods that are used in firearms bore use heat shrink tubing to cover the metal.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

I have had one squib load. It was in a 45-70 and the Boolit (490 gr GC) got stuck halfway down a 26" barrel. I used a 3/8" wooden dowel and a small hammer to continue the Boolits trip down the bore. it worked well.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have had 2 or 3 squibs in 30 years of reloading. Those were in .45 colt, I use a wooden dowel about 3/8 dia. as some said before it was just past the chamber,
    and was easily pushed back into the cartridge. I put a 9mm brass over the end that I hit with a mallet. Works for me.

I had one in .45 AP during a Bullseye match during a slow fire match, the brass ejected and the guy next leaned in and told me I better check before I fired
    the next shot. He said it didn't sound right. Sure enough the bullet was lodged about halfway down the barrel. Glad it wasn't during timed or rapid fire!

Amazon sells a 3/8" x 12" rod for $9.50 shipped.
    do unto others................

Boolit Master
    I'm curious when the definition of 'Squib' shifted in the vernacular of we shooters. For years, back in the day, a Squib load was a light cast bullet driven at very low velocity, used for close range or indoor practice. Now I see a lot of guys using it to describe a bullet stuck in a barrel. Just curious when the meaning changed. (Probably when an idiot gun writer used the term incorrectly and the rest of the world took it as gospel, but I'm just guessing.)

Boolit Bub
    Happend to me one time with a 40 cal. Used a wooden dowel and tapped it out with a soft hammer. Came right out.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The local welding supply store is your friend ................

Jack

Boolit Master

The local welding supply store is your friend .............
    +1 Brazing rod
    Actually the taped steel rod of almost bore dia. is best IMO. Wooden dowels are the worst!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    gnoahh thats funny. Squip loads to me for the last 50 years were loads that did not go bang as loud as expected or greatly reduced loads. If a bullet did not exit it was a bullet stuck in the barrel load.I still cannot get to using the term squip, I like mouse fart loads when talking of loads that are sticking in the barrel velocity and I have done my share of these.I'll go along with the current definition just to be social!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

At one time my presses were temporarily in a workshop that was not particularly tight and had no climate control. I had June bugs (grub beetles) crawling into the brass in the case feeder. That caused a few poor ignitions before I discovered the cause. The decapping pin assembly was compressing the bugs into the bottom of the case, interfering with ignition but they were squashed so flat that the powder charge monitor didn't notice the difference in volume. The easy solution was to keep the case feeder covered. I only had to knock one or two boolits out because of this. I carry some repair tools in my range bag including a brass rod and small hammer just for such events. It's save the day for a lot of shooters at matches over the years.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast