Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: top 10 pistol powders a list

top 10 pistol powders a list

Im new to this great hobby and on top of it all pistol powders are hard to find. I went to gunbot.net and was blown away at how many powders there are and the names and part numbers are mind altering. All I know about are the main ones .AA#2 AA#5 red dot win 231 unique. Everyone on earth wants these and they are difficult to find locally or even on line. Id like you guys that have tried them all to suggest some alternate pistol powders for 9mm and 45 acp. so a guy can search more effectively and buy with confidence. How about surplus powders?? thanks

Super Moderator

Bullseye & Clays and Titegroup need to be added to the list.

Boolit Master

I use Clays for my 45 acp and 38 special loads. I already had a pretty good stock of it from loading 12 gauge target loads. I've been very pleased with it.
    Rick

Boolit Master

power pistol, blue dot

Boolit Master

I think the easiest way to do this is look through the reloading manuals at the type of loads you want to use to see what powders are used and compare that to what powders you can find. Also, many powders with similar names/numbers are very different so be sure to pay close attention and some powders like W231/HP38 are identical.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I doubt anyone has tried them all, just too many. Stick with a medium burner, look at a burn rate chart, from W231 up thru AA#7 will work in both calibers. The problem is the slower powders don't run well in 45acp, like BlueDot, the faster powders are only good in 9mm for bunnyfart loads. I wouldn't use TG for lead bullet loads if it were free. Clays & BE in 9mm, again bunnyfart loads.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    This is an instance when a few reloading manuals prove their worth. A good manual will list and describe the makeup and uses of many dozens of powders. Buy those that you think will do the best job, are available, and experiment to find out which powder(s) your gun(s) prefer(s).

I don't do 9 mm, thankfully, but for .45 ACP boolits have found Bullseye and Unique to produce the best accuracy, with WSF a close third.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When the popular pistol powders are in short supply, the 12-ga. shotshell powders having a suitable fine particle size for uniform charge metering, are useful alternatives.

Winchester Super Target, aka WST and Winchester Super Field, aka WSF come to mind.

WST is particularly good for use in .45 ACP, loading from 4.5-4.8 grs. with the H&G68 200-grain SWC at 1.25" OAL.

Boolit Master
    9 and 45, IMR 700-X and Hodgdon Universal
    The surplus powders that you will find available now are way too sloooow for pistol.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Bullseye, Red Dot, W231/HP38, Unique, 4756, 700x, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, Herco, and a couple of Accurate powders spring to mind. There are others, of course. I would imagine just about any of the shotshell powders would work in a pinch, but reloading data is pretty hard to come by for most of them.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    Bullseye, Unique, AA #5 and 7, 2400. There is a pound and a bit more of AA#2.
    Pretty much been Bullseye and Unique. I seem to go to them as my default powders.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Alliant 2400 is a versatile powder that I've used for .44 Mag, Ruger/Contender Only .45 Colt and .45/70 Govt.

Alliant lists the following cartridges for 2400 on their website:
    .410, .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, 10mm Auto, 221 Fireball, 30 M1 Carbine, 32 H&R Magnum, 327 Federal Magnum, 357 Magnum, 38 Special +P, 41 Rem Magnum, 44 Rem Magnum, 44 S&W Special, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&W Mag, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W Mag, 32 S&W Long (Cowboy Action).

The Lyman manuals list it for some other calibers. That's where I got the .45/70 Govt data.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Bullseye seems to get very good performance comparable to top loads with low weights. That's just from quickload though. My favorite is 800x, power pistol, aa7, unique.

Boolit Master

my powders for 9mm 38 357 44mag 454
    bullseye RedDot BlueDot w231 2400 H110
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus

Red Dot, Bullseye, Unique Herco, Green Dot, WC820, W 296, H110, power pistol and 2400 all have a place on my shelf as well as the ##s you listed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    WST
    Red Dot
    WSF
    Bullseye

Don't forget Promo.. it has the same burn rate as Red Dot.. it's the same by charge weight but not by volume. It costs less than Red Dot also.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/promo.aspx
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll second looking at a burn rate chart. There are probably 30 or so different powders that will work from so-so to well in both 9mm and .45ACP; the big trick is finding reliable load data to start your load workups from, especially with a lesser used powder.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    red dot was easy to find here a couple months ago but now.......
    ive been looking for some promo but no luck yet
    but i use BE or RD in most loads
    but i seem to have a soft spot for WSF in 9mm

tried some 9gr blue dot loads in .45acp with a 200gr swc big woof plenty of push and unburnt powder all over the snow
    maybe i should try some green dot........

Perma-Banned

My favorites are bullseye and unique. For hotter stuff 2400.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast