Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stitch and glue kayak

Banned

Fiberglass resin or polyester resin will not penetrate wood very well. It sits on top. Epoxy resin will soak into the wood. I have used a couple of different suppliers here in the states. USComposites is a cheap place here in the states. I have used them a few times and have had very good luck with them. My last build I used Raka for everything and I was very happy with them. I am not sure if they ship internationally but they might be worth a call or email if they have any contacts down under.

There is another way that is much more cost effective, even if the finished results may not be as visually appealing as the timber showing through the high gloss clear finish.
    Use canvas to cover the timber lath over framework ribs and use marine grade paint that soaks through the canvas (the same way as the epoxy through the fibrerglass matting) and glues the canvas to the lathwork and after a coat or two creates a smooth outer surface.
    I have done this and it works, although I did an open canoe rather than a kayak but that is only a matter of covering the canvas lap at the gunwales (between the top and sides) .with a similar batten as the keel

I used a straight grained board (clears) of 6x1 (150x25) tanalised pine and cut it into 7mm strips and edge glued each lath to the ribs and each neighbouring lath with high strength building adhesive to create a monolithic hull sheet 7mm thick. A grated botton on the inside gave rigidity to sit or kneel on.
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 01-09-2014 at 05:31 AM.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Bub
    get this book, its pretty good. also spend a lot of time at boatdesigns.net before you cut your first peice of wood.

Boolit Master

Not a kayak, but stitch and glue is an amazingly strong construction method....
    Attachment 93040
    15' 9" "Jimbo" from Glen-L
    Attachment 93041
    that's a 90 hp yamaha, prolly 100 hours offshore

Boolit Bub
    Nice looking rig hogtamer! Curious though what made you decide on the flat boxy nose? I know it's easier to frame out and strong but that thing must put up a lot of spray in a chop

Boolit Bub
    Also if you go to boat design.net and become a member which I would suggest, PM user GONZO. He has been building boats forever, his knowledge is amazing. He is also very willing to help just let him know a member referred you to him. He will help with out all that "a thread on this was posted 15 years ago do a search"! Fun project, I'm in the planning stages of starting my own line of custom flats micro skiffs that are like no other! I don't do muck stich and glue but I work a lot with fiberglass, carbon fiber, gelcoat, vacuum bagging.... Pm me with questions if you like

Buy an old canoe and do this.....I can help with parts if you need them.

They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Sweet!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I've built over 60 of them. PygmyBoats mostly. Still have a pair of ArticTerns ( 17'6" long an 39 pounds) that my wife and I use for ocean going, had a MillCreek from CLC that I used for years fishing when I lived in Maine. They are simple to build- just a little time consuming. When they talk about the 40 hours of build time, it is work for 2 hours and then leave it overnight for the epoxy to cure, then 2 hours the next night and so on. You can not really build them in a 40 hour work week. Makes it a great project if you are keeping a work schedule. WestSystems (not WestMarine) epoxy is great stuff to use as they have a variety of hardeners with different kick times, and it does not stink like some of the cheaper epoxies of polyester resins. Trust me- if you can use a bread tie, are patient with your finishing, use good materials you'll have no issues. The Pygmy Boat web site used to have an external link with the most detailed photo journalism you can imagine. CLC (Chesepeake Light Craft) makes a pretty good boat as well. Plans are available- and if you've basic wood working skills you cna do the plans. Most use 4mm Okume plywood and 36 oz cloth (DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE GLASS WORK)

http://www.pygmyboats.com/kit-construction-process.html
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

A note on fishing... here in Florida there was a guy who had a pretty good morning and had a stringer of fish hanging over the side. He'd been fising in the intercoastal waterway. Suddenly his boat gives a might jerk and almost capsizes- a passing shark had noticed all that tasty fish hanging
    in the water!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

thats why mine had a live well just in front of me through the deck.....too many Gators swimming under my boat!
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

giericd,
    the center of flotation is way back under the console. the front never comes near the water unless no forward motion and a 3' wave! on plane under power only the back 18" or less touch the water.

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Buy an old canoe and do this.....I can help with parts if you need them.

That's pretty Cool - as a trailer does it have to have a license?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I've often thought about building a canoe/kayak but to cover or "skin" it to use blue shrink wrap. The kind they use to store boat's and stuff
    My brother is currently making a skin kayak off of one of the Yostwerks designs. http://yostwerks.com/. It's coming a long and looks great. It's been fairly inexpensive for him as well. It would be easy to cover it with wood strips instead of skin.

Boolit Master
    I have built a strip built kayak out of cedar. It turned out great, and I think it is a little cheaper than using Stitch and Glue plywood. They do take more time, but look very nice.

No need to use waterproof glue. Everything will be encased with fiberglass and epoxy resin.

You can mill your own strips out of lightweight softwood. I used northern white cedar that I bought from the sawmill in the next town. But, you can use pine, aspen, etc. I cut my strips on my table saw with the help of my friend in on afternoon.

If there wasn't 18" of snow, I'd walk out to my barn and take some pictures for you.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Seal/Walrus skins and Whale bone have been used for the last 10,000 years........
    Bones can be bent with vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Seal/Walrus skins and Whale bone have been used for the last 10,000 years........
    Bones can be bent with vinegar.
    Good thinking. I'll commence to harvestin' me a seal. Can't see anyone getting upset at that. HAHA.

"So I baby seal walks into a club......."

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Cool

Not a good image, Jeff. Clever pun though!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Good thinking. I'll commence to harvestin' me a seal. Can't see anyone getting upset at that. HAHA.

"So I baby seal walks into a club......."
    Come on Jeff there's plenty of snow just to the south of you. You missed your window. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/39-whales-d...-beach-1431143

Who's the cute kid with the wabbit?

So there were these 3 Nazi's that walk into a BAR.

and the GI empties his 20 round magazine
    Last edited by Just Duke; 03-16-2014 at 05:06 AM.

That's Abby about three years ago. We had sprung a couple of nests of baby bunnies and I was pulling necks right, left and centre. She picked up one of the "naughty bunnies" (expired) by the ears and came up the hill.

Then:

Now:

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.