RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Goodness of Spam

Boolit Master
    Way back someone mentioned the Monty Python Spam Sketch.Another one I remember was,is there any Rat in this Pie,answer absolutely not,well a little bit,quite a lot realy.
    Mad as hatters but entertaining.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember the first time I had Spam. Was helping a friend out at his Dads farm all day and by evening, we were pretty hungry. Got out a can of spam, cut it up and cooked it over an open fire, on a stick. Stuck the cooked slice on a piece of bread and thought it was mighty tasty. I like the bacon spam, sliced and fried in a pan. Then made into a sandwich with mustard and mayo. Pretty good. Course, I like fried bologna sandwiches too, got that from my grandmother. also like the cans of deviled ham.

Quote Originally Posted by 870TC View Post
    Would love to hear more about this. I've always been told that Spam was invented by Hormel in Austin MN and was originally called Spiced Ham. Got renamed Spam in 1937 after a contest was held to come up with a catchier name.
    My family, knowing what a Spam addict I am, (a can a week on average) sent me an "Official History of Spam" booklet they bought at the SPAM MUSEUM in Minniesoter. Yes, there really is a Spam Museum.

Quoting from memory, the Hormel folks were selling canned hams, but their retailers wanted something in a smaller can that a housewife could use up in one meal. The result was Spam, which coincidentally let them use up all those pork shoulders. The name is the acronym for "Spiced Pork And Ham", and story about the name being invented by an actor relative is true.
    Cognitive Dissident

BTW in "British English" during the Napoleonic era the word "mess" also seems to have meant a single meal, as well as the organizations which fed groups of officers, (who had to feed themselves without assistance from the King, and at their own expense BTW, right through WW2), and then of course to the feedlots for the enlisted men.

Makes the Biblical anecdote about "selling one's birthright for a mess of pottage" make more sense. Literally selling it for just one meal, and a mighty poor one at that. Pottage in late medieval England meaning the contents of a pot of "stew" kept always on the fire, and into which all kinds of leftovers and scraps were thrown, against the possibility that day after tomorrow that's all you might have to eat. The French called it "pot a feu", and in modern times it has been imbued with the aura of a delicacy.
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-03-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Grand Master

Cogito ergo sus ??? I think therefore I spam/

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    In Pennsylvania Dutch country and out here in Ohio Amish country we call that Scrapple.
    Beat me to it. It's scrapple or my name isn't H.R. Puffinstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Did you know that we have Spam flavored macadamia nuts here????
    Taste like Spam.

Boolit Master
    Bought 2 cans of "bacon" flavored spam. Opened and fried one this am. The second one is going to the very back of my peeps. Only to be found when I am starving.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I used to pack it in my ruck. Single slices packaged in foil makes a good quick lunch

Boolit Grand Master
    Once a year, we have a Spam Jam.
    It's the place to go to try all different kinds of ways to eat Spam.
    Span on the grill is very good.

Boolit Grand Master

Is this thread 8 years old ... I guess a Good Spam Thread should never die .

Last week was the beginning of Louisiana Hurrican Season ... that means stocking up on water , gasoline for the generator and Spam !
    My pantry is full of Spam ... I'm Good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I've eaten cans of it older that this Thread!

Boolit Buddy
    Ah yes, scrapings from the pigs head, mixed with some of the hoof meat to pretend it is something eatable! Grew up eating that mystery meat. Glad I can afford real meat, you can have what I would not eat before I turned to long pig.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Actually like the stuff. I ate it occasionally growing up, but dad, being a vet, didn't go for it very often. He would rather skip meat with a meal than eat it. Wife like it, and there are really way worse things.... some made with hog, some not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I am with Handloader, I really like Spam! And my Sweetpiy darling will fry it for me. y-m, and more yum.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    My dad never made all that money working for the railroad. So when we went to the beach mom would chop up a can or two and add green sweet relish. Spread on bread and we ate the heck out of it. Love it fried on bagels, or hoagy rolls. Have a half dozen cans in the pantry. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad was a WWII vet so I'm sure he had lots of it in the Pacific. BUT I remember having fried SPAM as a kid and my Dad would still eat it. I still enjoy SPAM. The company had a building at the MN State Fair that had a more complete variety of flavors than is available in the U.S. as they do make some varieties for export. I don't remember all of them but we did try some and they were decent. Luckily no Vegamite flavored ones for the Aussies though...

Boolit Master
    Grilled spam and cheese sandwiches. Always keep a few cans in the cupboard.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a one can per every two years for SPAM type.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast