Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powders to be discontinued by Hodgdon in 2014

Boolit Grand Master

Just discontinued, or in favor of another???

I believe they are shutting down older IMR production lines. They will be more than happy to sell you some of the "extreme" rifle powders.

BB

Boolit Man
    Too bad, Max load of 4756 with 1 1/4 oz of #6's is a 60 yd load for crows and the 7625 with 1 1/8 oz of 6's is fast and carries way out there.

Boolit Master
    Should have read this before buying 4756 to work up buckshot loads. *insert disgruntled sad face here*
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Should have read this before buying 4756 to work up buckshot loads. *insert disgruntled sad face here*
    That shouldn't be an issue yet !

You have a pound I assume , so work up a load with that and while doing it , see if you can't find two or three more pounds and that "should" last you a good while .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I just don't know if I have the extra room to be honest. I've got kegs and half kegs of the powders I use most, BE, Unique, Red Dot, etc... I'm sure I'll figure something out. I may just switch over to blue dot, which I think I already have some on hand.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I just don't know if I have the extra room to be honest. I've got kegs and half kegs of the powders I use most, BE, Unique, Red Dot, etc... I'm sure I'll figure something out. I may just switch over to blue dot, which I think I already have some on hand.
    I'm gonna have to make do with two 8 pounders of 7625 and after they're gone I'll use Universal Clays I suppose . If I were a good bit more flush I'd try to get about ten 8 pounders of 7625 and never worry about my shotgun loads again .

Boolit Master
    I don't think I'd ever use that much, lol...

I'd have to start using it for 38, 357, 45, and possibly 9mm... And unique already fits the bill for 3 of those, and 2400 the other.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon will never take over Alliant. Alliant is part of a major worldwide armaments operation critical to national defense. Hodgdon is just a retailer that markets other people's products. A Hodgdon takeover would be analogous to Cessna taking over Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed.

Boolit Master
    I don't think I'd ever use that much, lol...

I'd have to start using it for 38, 357, 45, and possibly 9mm... And unique already fits the bill for 3 of those, and 2400 the other.
    I use 7625 for 12 , 16 , 20 and 2 7/8" 10 gauge . If I ever get another 28 I can use it for that as well . So when you take all that in consideration 16 pounds does not sound like a lot .

Boolit Buddy

I found 8 lbs of SR7625. Now looking for PB and SR4759. Friend of mine is searching for E3 and can't find it.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master
    I have couple customers that are chomping at the bit for Universal Clays and International Clays !

Hogdon is still "making" those supposedly , but I've not been able to get any from my distributers in almost a year !

Boolit Buddy
    All the Clay products are produced in Australia and the plant ,blew up and there is no date when they will be back in production.

Boolit Mold
    More competition and more powder manufacturers is the answer. Many reloaders use 4756 and will be affected by its discontinuance. Email the manufacturer - read them their mission statement and ask the incentive for discontinuing the powders.

( ? "Eye of a needle")

In Remembrance
    S.I.L. just brought me 2Lbs of SR4756 he payed $80 total for from a well known shop that charges higher than average for things but they have it. Now I have to wonder about something, should I use something else in my cabinet as a substitute for his 45ACP loads and hold onto this stuff, or just go ahead and use knowing full well I'll never see it again in my lifetime.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

A lot of whining about a company that only resells powders. The fact is if there is no military purpose or large civilian market for a powder, the actual manufacturers will discontinue it. If Hodgdon can't find a clone on the world market (like from ADI or IMI), it's gone.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Hodgdon will never take over Alliant. Alliant is part of a major worldwide armaments operation critical to national defense. Hodgdon is just a retailer that markets other people's products. A Hodgdon takeover would be analogous to Cessna taking over Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed.
    Once when you said IMR you said Dupont which is the grandaddy of all US powder companies. Dupont was founded to make gun powder. They decided they didn't want to be in the nasty business of arms and sold off IMR and Remington. If IMR can migrate from Dupont to Hodgdon then Alliant can migrate from ATK to Hodgdon. IIRC Alliant came from Hercules which came from Dupont decades ago.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    There is nothing to keep any company from manufacturing the old IMR powders. It is just the trademarked name they would not be able to use. The fact that no other company is stepping forward to offer a generic version indicates that no one sees it as profitable. One can not ride a dead horse forever. All things pass away eventually.

Boolit Master
    Supposedly RST ammunition is importing a Spanish powder that's supposed to be a close match to SR7625 for use in their own ammo production . I got that from a friend that's really good friends with the owner of RST .

So perhaps the powder will eventually become available to the shooting public .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 11-10-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Boolit Man
    Did they do away with 4759.?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast