Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powders to be discontinued by Hodgdon in 2014

Boolit Master

Powders to be discontinued by Hodgdon in 2014

Powders be discontinued by the end of 2014: 4756, 4759, PB and 7625.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...owtopic=186621

Boolit Master
    Now I'm REAL glad I just bought a eight pounder of 4759.

Bummer on the 4759. I just sent Hodgdon an email regarding this production change. Maybe if I bunch of us do the same they will change their mind?

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Now my Question is: is the Information Legitimate? The Internet is an unreliable place at Times for Information.
    The Hodgdon Website doesn't mention any disconuation of the IMR Powders discussed. Somehow IMR 4227 was missed, it's almost like the 4759 in shape. We'll have to wait and see. I wish they would release a canister version of the Primex 513.
    That would suit slug loaders and all types of shotshell loader, except the under 1 .25 oz loads.
    Longshot is too fast and has a steeper pressure curve.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Bummer on the 4759. I just sent Hodgdon an email regarding this production change. Maybe if I bunch of us do the same they will change their mind?

BB
    If it is true, an email is useless - they just get deleted. Even writing a letter to the CEO may not have any impact - but it may get someone's attention. These are business decisions. If volumes are low, they cannot justify production and inventory costs. So, here is the first question. "Dear greedy corporate executive, would you continue offering XXXX if the market would pay another 20% for the product?"

And the second question is, "Dear lovers of XXXX, would you pay 20% more for it or will you find a cheaper powder?" (BTW, I think I know that answer)

Capitalism at its finest - but it works. In the end, it is about making a profit. No one drops a product that is safe and is making money.

Don Verna
    Last edited by dverna; 12-30-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Judging on inventories/availability , I think most of their product lines appear deleted lately........

Banned

I like Alliant and use them exclusively. They seem to be adding powders regularly. I agree that it would be a loss if 4759 went extinct.

Boolit Grand Master

4759 was discontinued many years ago and finally brought back for reduced loads
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I received confirmation from Chris Hodgdon that SR4756, SR4759, PB and SR7625 will be discontinued by late 2014.

Ralph
    Last edited by RMc; 12-29-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Damn shame about PB, I'm going to have to stock up on that, it's the powder that I use for my "old shotgun friendly" loads.....

Dan

Boolit Master
    &%$##!!! SR-4759 is one of my 'go to' powders for some rifles. OK... what else comes close to it in characteristics?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Just when I was getting ready to buy some 7625...

Closest replacement I see for SR-4759 is Accurate Arms 5744. Around $30 more cash for an 8 lb jug. On the bright side. It’s good stuff. I bought an eight pound jug of 5744 last year. AA has changed it from old days. Short stick now that runs through my measure as easy as ball powder. As does AA4064.
    They also increased the nitro content of this double based powder. Per there literature.

IMR-4227 is close in burn rate to SR-4759 but it's not on my list of go to powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it's a shame based on the Applications for IMR 4759. I was going to work up some Data for XMP 5744 Years ago for 12g Slugs, but didn;t get around to it. I might just have to get it done to replace the 4759, but it'll take some Pressure Testing.
    I do like 7625 in some applications, since it behaves a little better for pressure than Alliant Unique. The 4756 is useful, but other can easily take the Place. In a Shlug shooting Shotgun, Lil Gun could be used.

Maybe we should request Hodgdon work up some tested Data to replace the IMR Powders. They could help their own Business if they had Data for different Slug that seem to be Popular. How many Posters here have been asking baout how to Load full bore Slugs, for which no Commercial data exists?
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Both Trail Boss & 5744 scare me a bit. Some of the published data for these reduced load powders have very elevated pressures. I use 5744 to launch boolits out of my CZ550s, but these guns are very stout and I am very careful.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Closest replacement I see for SR-4759 is Accurate Arms 5744. Around $30 more cash for an 8 lb jug. On the bright side. It’s good stuff. I bought an eight pound jug of 5744 last year. AA has changed it from old days. Short stick now that runs through my measure as easy as ball powder. As does AA4064.
    They also increased the nitro content of this double based powder. Per there literature.

IMR-4227 is close in burn rate to SR-4759 but it's not on my list of go to powders.
    I had considered AA-5744 a few years ago. I could not find a local dealer that stocked Alliant powders except for Gander Mountain. They never seemed to have it, and they are a good ways from me. Guess I'll have to pay the hazmat fee. On the plus side, I've found that the online prices are lower, and that takes the bite out of it if you buy enough at a time. The more you buy the closer it comes to being even.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Yes the information is correct. Powder Valley Inc posted a list of pricing updates and powders that are going to be discontinued. They posted it a couple months ago on their Facebook page.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

I saw this coming years ago when Hodgdon took over IMRs powders. Hodgdon has never been a "nice" powder company for cast and wild-cat loaders and often gets rid of time proven gentle reliable powders in preference for new-fangled ones that give just a little bit better performance within a very narrow range of loads and have dangerous problems anywhere outside that narrow window. Quite frankly I'm surprised as many of the time proven IMR powders have lasted as long as they have under them. One of my worst nightmares has always been that Alliant Powder one day gets taken over by them, its one of those kind of nightmares that makes you jump out of bed in the middle of the night with blood curling screams that wake the neighbors inside their house a 1/4-mile away. Remember it happened to IMR which also used to be a good powder company, could happen to Alliant one day too. In my opinion there is an insidious active conspiratorial campaign going on in the background by the "reloading book god" religious nuts to make us totally depended upon exact specific zero variance load recipes where even the specific brand of bullet is specified and no variance is allowed because just a 2% variance in charge or components in either direction can make a dangerously hot load and I believe that head of this multi-tenticuled beast is somewhere in the Hodgdon powder company management.
    Last edited by turbo1889; 12-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Aww fudge, I was looking forward to trying .45-70 with 4759. Just when I thought I had found the perfect powder for mild loads that doesn't require 40+ grains per case or cost alot. As much as I like Accurate powders I'm not even going to bother with 5744. Around here, it is expensive, seldom in stock, and too many guns blown up by experienced reloaders. I guess I could try IMR 4227 but that one is hard to find as well. Hmm, mebbe IMR 4198 or Alliant 2400 would work.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Hodgdon's response to my email regarding 4759.

BB

"The manufacturer has ended production of this powder. We will receive our last
    shipment of it in late January.

Dave Campbell
    Customer Service
    Hodgdon Powder Co.
    6430 Vista Drive
    Shawnee, KS 66218
    913-362-9455 Ext. 117
    dcampbell@hodgdon.com"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast