RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point or Glock?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Hi Point or Glock?

This question was kicked around at the Friday afternoon coffee gathering. If you had to chose one, which? I came down on the side of the Hi Point, since they are pretty much indestructible, from within or without.

What do you think?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Personally the Glock. Better looking and the Hi Points would require me to have someone shoot it for me in a few years they are so heavy!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

I have both. I love my $130 Hi-point c9. Shoots well even feeds SWC boolits. But i have to say i have a Glock 21 by the bed for protection. So i say buy both. Gotta have a gun for every room. Oh almost forgot. Hi-point warranty is the BEST!! Also have a 995 carbine that has lots and lots of rounds thru it and no issues.

Boolit Bub
    Glock every time.

Hi Points are hit or miss from my experience of their reliability. Multiple friends of mine have went the cheaper route and got a Hi Point to end up buying a Glock down the road.

Boolit Master

Glock, many more rounds in the mag.

Funny thing is: I have the hi point 45 carbine and dont own a glock, but I have lots of glock equivalents.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

That's a tough one as I have seen specimens of both put through the proverbial wringer and still come through working fine. Neither one wins any points with me as far as looks are concerned, though Glocks look better. A Hi Point feels better in my hand than a Glock and points a bit better. I guess that just in terms of reputation, name recognition, and the fact that so many in Law Enforcement trust their lives to one, my nod would have to go to Glock. Personally I would feel adequately armed with either.

That said, there will be a 1911 on my belt tomorrow.

Love Life
    Depends what my budget is. If I have the cheese, than It would be a Glock. If I had limited funds I would buy a Hi-Point. They both go bang.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My buddy who was a Marine armorer, and just came home last spring from Afghanistan, says Hi Point, hands down. I'll have to get him to elucidate on that a bit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Love Life
    Glock is more refined and looks better to boot, but HI-Point pistols are solid pieces of kit.

As I said, if I have the money I am buying a Glock. If I'm strapped for cash I'm buying a HI-Point.

If there is a gun buyback where they give $225 per handgun then I am buying a couple crates of HI-Point pistols.

Glock........But I've never handled a Hi-Point.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

No question for me, Glock all the way.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I have 3 Hi-Points 9mm, 45 and 995ts. The 9 and 45 are built like a brick SH and as heavy as one. People call the 995ts ugly, but it shoots great. Don't forget the old song " Make an ugly woman your wife" and be happy for the rest of your life.

There is no free lunch. You must use a tool to dissassemble the Hi-Point to do routine maintenance. If you don't clean and lube; it will fail, just a matter of time. Trigger pull on the Hi-Point is not as good as the Glocks. Think about it, with the current economy if city managers and police chiefs thought they could get the same performance for less dollars wouldn't all the cops be carrying Hi-Points?

Banned
    I wouldn't purchase a Hi Point pistol. I'f I want something that I know will work I will grab the Glock.

I do have a Hi Point 4595 and it shoots fine is nasty ugly and you would never have to worry about loosing it because people would run up to you to return the gun its that ugly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    There is no free lunch. You must use a tool to dissassemble the Hi-Point to do routine maintenance. If you don't clean and lube; it will fail, just a matter of time. Trigger pull on the Hi-Point is not as good as the Glocks. Think about it, with the current economy if city managers and police chiefs thought they could get the same performance for less dollars wouldn't all the cops be carrying Hi-Points?
    I can't speak for the Hi Point pistol dissassembly wise. I have the 4595 and it comes apart easily without any tools one you master the art of taking it apart.

I think the police departments are caught up in the AR15 frenzy. My town bought several hundred thousand dollars worth of them and components. Will they buy the Hi Points? I seriously doubt it when the AR15's are chambered for a round that is capable of longer distance with higher accuracy than the pistol rounds the Hi Point is chambered for. I don't think anyone can say that a 9mm, 40 cal, or 45 acp is capable enough to reach out at 100 yards with the stopping power that the 223 has.

Buy what you can afford. I like the Glock, but if I got a good deal on a Hi-Point I might just pick it up. I would like a carbine in either 9 or 45 though.

Banned
    Attachment 91801

I don't think Glock makes a carbine so I believe its a Glock pistol against a Hi Point pistol and its a no brainner for me I'll take the Glock. When talking the carbine I'll take the Hi Point before I'd take an AR15 simply because I have thousands of rounds of 45acp and I have zero 223's.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 12-28-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Banned
    Note the 14 round magazines that aren't supposed to work with the gun. A minor angle change on the feed lips turned the mag into a workable piece. Its got a red dot green dot scope with a 3X multiplier and a laser strobe combo light on the front. A poor mans AR15.

Boolit Master

I have a 995 and it is a blast to shoot. I do the steel match with it every now and then as our range will let us use a rifle as long as it is a pistol caliber. It is honestly hard to miss with it and I am using the factory sights. Everyone that has tried has loved it. A couple even went out and bought one. At about $350.00 they are a deal. It has been fed a steady diet of Lee 358105's and 124 grn round nose tumble lubed, sized to .358 both over 4 grns of promo. Probably 500 rds so far (haven't had it that long) it has not been cleaned other than a bore snake being pulled through it and it has not missed a beat.

I"M really not a fan of either but have shot both guns. I'll go with the Gock simply because of it's work history. The darn thing is just shoots and shoots. I have shot both guns but it's been awhile.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast