Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: First deer for 4 5/8 Ruger NM Blackhawk 41 mag

Boolit Man

First deer for 4 5/8 Ruger NM Blackhawk 41 mag

This is the first deer for this gun 38 yard shot complete pass through broadside broke both shoulders and got into the spine. Lyman 410459 HP (212 gn) cast from wheel weights pushed with 9.2 grains of unique win primers It been a lot of trial and error with this gun for load work up. Bought a lyman 410459 mold last year and had trouble getting an accurate load worked up. With my saeco 220 gn rnfp mold this gun cuts a raggd hole at 20 yards with imr 4227 Got to measuring bullets out of the lyman and they mic .409 -.410 ish out of round ended up lapping the bands and beagling the mold to get a round full sized bullet . Then I got fed up with pan lubing and bought a lyman 45 sizer should of done it years ago. On to powders for some reason this bullet/gun combo did not like imr 4227, h110 or 2400 fair accuracy but not like the saeco’s . Started messing with unique and 9.2 grains was the sweet spot just drops them in there not a barn burner but consistent . Sitting on the ground with my wrists resting on my bipod I’m able to shoot a 2 -3 inch group at 40 yards( tasco accudot scope). I’ll post a picture of her tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doe_zps0a5f6416.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	91809
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41_zpse9344c99.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	91810
    Last edited by tomcat388th; 12-28-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add photos
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

Banned

good shooting!

Boolit Master

Congrats!!! 41 mag is a formidable round for sure and it sounds like you've got it dialed in!

This is the first deer for this gun 38 yard shot complete pass through broadside broke both shoulders and got into the spine. Lyman 410459 HP (212 gn) cast from wheel weights pushed with 9.2 grains of unique win primers It been a lot of trial and error with this gun for load work up.
    It really needs hard work before we can establish a very much attractive gun.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your first RBH deer! good shooting. BTW, I retired from the 110th FW in MI, back in 1996.

Boolit Master
    Awesome, the 41 will be my next SA revolver purchase.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    our "wonder full" legislators think a handgun barrel must be over six inches to be effective on deer. I am not sure it's a ballistics thing or it's harder to hide the longer barrel in the field. Poachers STILL find ways to take deer in and out of season. MY .41 mag is a 14" Contender, so the law doesn't affect me!
    Good shootin!

Boolit Master
    good for you -- have not been able to hunt much this year so I enjoy it through you guys

Boolit Bub
    Can't recall the grains but I am shooting Unique
    In my 41. Congratulations! Great job!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    our "wonder full" legislators think a handgun barrel must be over six inches to be effective on deer.
    It depends where the state measures from. For an automatic like a 1911, you can only get 5 1/2" bbl length for a stock barrel. However, if they measure from the recoil shield, which is also the breech face, which many states do, the overall length for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk is 6 3/8" so depending on the rules, it is probably legal.

Nice kill OP!

Boolit Master
    I believe its the STANDING breech they use for measuring barrel length, BUT, I am not one to take chances. MY super Blackhawk has a longer than necessary tube out front. I have had a game warden tell me I CAN"T hunt with a pistol. I requested he call his superiors to CONFIRM his statement, There ARE areas in the state where handguns are NOT legal to hunt with. I was quite legal where we were hunting.!

Boolit Master

Glad to see a 41 Mag out there collecting deer. I've been shooting 41's for quite a few years. Bought my first one, a S&W 57, 8 3/8" back in the early Dirty Harry days, when you couldn't get a 44 Mag. Have had a number of different ones, but my latest is a Ruger BH 6 1/2" that has been with me for quite a few years.

Glad to see you working on a load for yours. They can be finicky, at least mine have.

Nice deer!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    I believe its the STANDING breech they use for measuring barrel length, BUT, I am not one to take chances. MY super Blackhawk has a longer than necessary tube out front. I have had a game warden tell me I CAN"T hunt with a pistol. I requested he call his superiors to CONFIRM his statement, There ARE areas in the state where handguns are NOT legal to hunt with. I was quite legal where we were hunting.!
    Off topic but... what state are you in that has these rules?

Awesome! Did the deer drop? I'm thinking it did since you broke both shoulders and nicked the spine. How big was the exit? I'm with Lefty SRH, my next single action revolver will also be a .41 Mag. Congrats.

Boolit Man
    yes it dropped , exit was bout the size of a nickel I did put one more shot in her when I walked up probably didn't need it she was pretty well done in but I've been burnt before and had them go into warp speed. I'll be curious to see if the bullet fragmented any there made from coww water dropped I made a little jig to drill a 9/64 hole in the bullet it only about .176 deep just a touch above the first driving band.
    Justin
    Retired Smsgt IL ANG 183 FW

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, another deer down darn quick with a HP'd cast bullet out of a handgun

Good hunting and good shooting

Larry Gibson

I imagine they would fragment or either not expand at all with water dropped WW's. I would skip the water dropping if it were me, save you some time too!

Boolit Grand Master

I've had 2 41Mag BH's with different barrel lengths and loved them both. Wish I had them back. Congrats on the deer
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Congrats on doing all the homework and making it work in the field. My RBH is a 4 5/8 as well but that's plenty long for hunting in a free state where results count, details be damned.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.