Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herters information needed

Boolit Master

I have forming jackets and core seating down. It’s the final form where I am running into a stumbling block.
    It would appear you are doing this with a modified ram? Might you have a picture of same?
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    Watching.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I use such a press for .22 bullet swaging I have never found out who makes the dies I assume Pacific who also made the Herter's press .
    I also have .357 & .452 bullet dies they do not fit the 9 ton press as the ram is slightly larger . I did modify the ram to work in a Lyman Orange Crusher press . The dies were made to form half jacket bullets but do make good all lead/lead alloy bullets I have cut similar dies for .30 caliber and am working on .429 dies now .
    Here is a image of my .22 dies :

Attachment 320185

Firefly thank you. From that photograph I think I see exactly where I am going wrong.
    I need to turn my thinking around. The Herter top (nose) punch becomes the base punch and ejecting punch and the old ejecting punch becomes a removable nose punch. From rough measuring it looks like I need to make a new ram about 3 1/2” long. Am thinking to make the nose die and the body die recessed the same way Vickery did for positive alignment and use Stressproof for the material.
    We shall find out by Thanksgiving
    Again. I thank you!!!
    Will post any findings.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    I'm the OP on this,, and I can say I never got to using that press. No dies around that I could easily find. I think I still have it in a box to be swapped or traded or sold somewhere.

I did get into swaging using my RockChucker though.

Boolit Master

Reg A picture would not show much of the modified ram it is being used for pistol not .224" bullets .
    However I looked though some files and found I may be calling my press the wrong name ? Is your 9 ton press horizontal? I have seen the vertical press called the same (9 ton) and I have the vertical press . Your pictures are not showing and neither are they in this link: (2010)
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rs-9-Ton-Press
    This is my press below however I have a PDF for a Herter's 9 ton I will try to post next reply....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	320283
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Now see if I can open PDF here? P.S. the ram looks to be the same in both units!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by firefly1957; 11-23-2023 at 06:48 PM. Reason: P.S.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12