WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How consistent are you REALY???

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I've shot CBA cast bullet benchrest myself, in several classes. It's a competition among like minded individuals who have deemed it necessary to run an equipment race to win now. It was a lot more fun when it wasn't. What they represent is their membership who choose to compete...... not everyone everywhere. Several other organizations exist who compete with lead bullets also..... and have matches that draw large crowds. Personally I like the challenge of getting a common factory produced military or commercial rifle or handgun to shoot very good groups at longer ranges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pat I. View Post
    What exactly is "the serious bench rest game"? Are you saying that jacketed bullets are "serious" and cast bullets aren't? Are you suggesting that someone would test a heavy or light varmint class "serious" rifle at 50 yards either in a warehouse or outside? If you think cast bullet benchrest isn't as serious as any discipline out there my suggestion is you build yourself a rifle and come out to a match.
    Ya'll are sure reading a lot into a simple comment. Waksupi didn't suggest anything, I believe he just meant that those folks that shoot benchrest and spend a lot of time loading custom ammo can tell when the Boolit (any kind) or charge is off a little, that's all.

Banned

What range did you shoot at and when and in what classes? Maybe we know some common people. Also where are the cast bullet matches run by other organizations that draw large crowds? I'd like to attend one if possible. This isn't about the CBA but there's a class for anything anyone would like to shoot and using the best equipment available and legal for a class doesn't make it an equipment race it means you have the sense to use the best equipment available and legal for a class.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll tell you one thing. I'll never look at my $40 FA digital scale the same way again!
    Had I but known the effect I would have by weighing a few lead objects, lining them up on a piece of paper, and posting a picture of this activity online, I would have bought one of the really good ones!
    I sure can see what all the hype is about!

You guys crack me up. LOL!
    It's just a picture for cryin out loud! Sheesh!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

LOL, kinda drifted just a bit there Goodsteel, but I sure enjoyed your work.....thanks for posting

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Also where are the cast bullet matches run by other organizations that draw large crowds? I'd like to attend one if possible. This isn't about the CBA but there's a class for anything anyone would like to shoot and using the best equipment available and legal for a class doesn't make it an equipment race it means you have the sense to use the best equipment available and legal for a class.
    The ASSRA holds matches in central upper Indiana. Get their journal which lists the matches at Etna Green or do a search on your computer. This should be close enough for you... certainly within three hours away.

The BPCR matches are held across the country. There are some just north of Madison, WI. ... again within three hours of your location. Search BPCR matches on your computer for a more detailed listing.

In my opinion, best equipment for class is an equipment race....... and I don't participate in competitions like that. My current interest for the last 10 years or so has been semi-autos. Some of those things could give your bolt guns the shakes.......... and I'm certainly not interested in 200 yard and less target shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

What exactly is "the serious bench rest game"? Are you saying that jacketed bullets are "serious" and cast bullets aren't? Are you suggesting that someone would test a heavy or light varmint class "serious" rifle at 50 yards either in a warehouse or outside? If you think cast bullet benchrest isn't as serious as any discipline out there my suggestion is you build yourself a rifle and come out to a match.
    Silly me! To think what I thought he meant was people really serious about cast boolit bench rest. Learn sumpin new every day I guess.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    The ASSRA holds matches in central upper Indiana. Get their journal which lists the matches at Etna Green or do a search on your computer. This should be close enough for you... certainly within three hours away.

The BPCR matches are held across the country. There are some just north of Madison, WI. ... again within three hours of your location. Search BPCR matches on your computer for a more detailed listing.

In my opinion, best equipment for class is an equipment race....... and I don't participate in competitions like that. My current interest for the last 10 years or so has been semi-autos. Some of those things could give your bolt guns the shakes.......... and I'm certainly not interested in 200 yard and less target shooting.
    If you think BPCR or ASSRA match shooters aren't using the very best equipment available to them you know very little about BPCR and ASSRA match shooters or matches.

I'd still like to know where, when, and with who you shot CBA matches. Like I said maybe we know common people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Learn sumpin new every day I guess. Rick
    Yes you will if you pay attention.

Boolit Grand Master

Your probably right Pat, we're so lucky your here.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Banned

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Nope, you got it backwards. Cast bullet bench rest is much more demanding than jacketed.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I'll tell you one thing. I'll never look at my $40 FA digital scale the same way again!
    Had I but known the effect I would have by weighing a few lead objects, lining them up on a piece of paper, and posting a picture of this activity online, I would have bought one of the really good ones!
    I sure can see what all the hype is about!

You guys crack me up. LOL!
    It's just a picture for cryin out loud! Sheesh!
    See what you started Tim? Why you ought to be ashamed of yourself! I can't believe you even started such a thread! LOL!

Some people!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Goodsteel, I have been off the site for a few days and boy have you stirred it up! Good data. I have a question about post #1. You said....

"Every time, with startling consistency, the last cavity filled was producing the most consistent boolits. In other words, the cup that weighed the most, was always directly related to the cavity that was last filled."

Would it be possible that the difference you are seeing is due to mold expansion? My thinking is the mold is heating up as the alloy is filling the adjacent cavities.....The longer the boolit, the more effect this would have. Fixture expansion plays a big role in my line of work. We have to calculate its effect depending on what temp we braze at. A few tenths could make a difference.

Actually, What material is the mold made from? I could calculate the expansion and tell you how the volume would change...
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Goodsteel, I have been off the site for a few days and boy have you stirred it up! Good data. I have a question about post #1. You said....

"Every time, with startling consistency, the last cavity filled was producing the most consistent boolits. In other words, the cup that weighed the most, was always directly related to the cavity that was last filled."

Would it be possible that the difference you are seeing is due to mold expansion? My thinking is the mold is heating up as the alloy is filling the adjacent cavities.....The longer the boolit, the more effect this would have. Fixture expansion plays a big role in my line of work. We have to calculate its effect depending on what temp we braze at. A few tenths could make a difference.

Actually, What material is the mold made from? I could calculate the expansion and tell you how the volume would change...
    Now that's something to think on. By inference then I'd figure Boolits cast from a single cavity mold would be more consistent than those from a multi cavity mold all else being equal.

Boolit Grand Master

I kinda wondered after reading that if Tim reversed the order of filling the mold. If the weight of the last filled cavity was always different try filling that cavity first for awhile & see if the results reverse.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I kinda wondered after reading that if Tim reversed the order of filling the mold. If the weight of the last filled cavity was always different try filling that cavity first for awhile & see if the results reverse.

Rick
    Me too, it'd be interesting to see what effects the temp variation as the individual cavities are filled has from first to last is.

Boolit Grand Master

Rick
    Ask Pat, I'm sure he knows.......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Ask Pat, I'm sure he knows.......
    LOL. I see the usuals have been called to arms and my posts are bringing out all the finest. Ric where do they hold those 50 yard BR matches. I might be interested in giving them a try.

Banned
    A large pot of at least 40lbs, using a tweaked rowell ladle, a high speed fan, and having a real metranome or a good internal one will get you to the goal the fastest.

My My off the net for a couple of days due to an Ice riddled landscape with no electricity and somehow I managed to cause panties to wad up without trying.....what is up round here lately? everyone seems so tense...Hey Mods.....can we get a round of Paxil for the masses? OMG

My original post in this thread was not meant to bunch anyones underwear up and if the OP had done exactly what I said to do and in the order said he would have found THE BIG Solution by now. Consistency is vital in all steps of this "hobby", how could anyone think differently? Sorting boolits is no where near as good as making a great batch in the first place.....several members here excel at this, I have seen it and learned. What Tim is doing is treating the symptoms and not treating the disease is all I was TRYING VERY POORLY to say I guess.

Merry Christmas and please try to relax YALL