Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: refurbish Dillon RL450, hold my hand.

refurbish Dillon RL450, hold my hand.

Please, I need encouragement today:
    As I have said elsewhere I traded off my RL550 with all the acutrements to my friend.
    Now I am reconstituting my 450. but not without some difficulty.
    the bellcrank slotted lever spits out the rod.
    and the primer slide wont move freely.
    what to do?
    much obliged, Max

Boolit Master

Try pushing the rod in or out just a bit. Grease the primer slid a bit. https://www.dillonprecision.com/sdb-product-videos.html Dillon's Tech support can be your best friend.

Boolit Bub
    I haven't used Dillon CS in years, but unless something has changed, send them the machine with a note about the problems, and they will send you back a working machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5X284ever View Post
    I haven't used Dillon CS in years, but unless something has changed, send them the machine with a note about the problems, and they will send you back a working machine.
    Bub, tempting!
    Guys, much obliged,

HI ya, primer slide was dirt: probably coatiing for lead boolits, years ago.
    the rod thingie solved. I had it inside out Thanks for heads up Kung on the videos.

Also getting the 124gn plated seated on my Redding Titanium Carbide 88172 dies is proving difficult. As we all know, plated boolits need only a tiny crimp.
    Well this seating die is putting too much, pressure and I can't get it to right length and seated to 1.20".
    I'll switch to Lee dies, see if thats the cure.
    Much obliged,
    Last edited by max it; 05-19-2024 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master

You may want to try to bell the case a bit more and then try to get the col set with brass/dummy rounds in every station. Then tighten down under pressure aka a round in the die. Then you should be right on. By the way if you are buying plated boolits try these:https://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=ZBJ-9MM Free shipping and they cost just about as much as a plated bullet, but they are jacketed. Get a chamber checker https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012687515?pid=744135 drop in the loaded round if it fits you are good to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wouldn’t it be appropriate to place this query anywhere besides Casting and Reloading HAND Tools? I’m having a hard time thinking of any less appropriate place for it to be.
    Just for laughs, try offering it for sale anywhere besides Swappin’ and Sellin’ and see what happens. There is a reason these forums have titles.
    Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    You may want to try to bell the case a bit more and then try to get the col set with brass/dummy rounds in every station. Then tighten down under pressure aka a round in the die. Then you should be right on. By the way if you are buying plated boolits try these:https://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=ZBJ-9MM Free shipping and they cost just about as much as a plated bullet, but they are jacketed. Get a chamber checker https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012687515?pid=744135 drop in the loaded round if it fits you are good to go.
    Nearly there...Redding seating die leaves ring around projectile. Used JB Weld to fill in void; it's drying now.
    Much obliged, Max

Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by max it; 05-21-2024 at 01:41 PM.

Years ago, I did a Dillon conversion. Dillion did or does sell a 450/550 conversion kit, and when coupled with a large ball handle for function, it makes a dandy press. Also got an extra powder throw so I have a pistol and a rifle bar throw. Also got double springs for the return for the powder bars. I also bought a Dillon raised strong mount for each of my five presses and my other powder throws. I fould that ordering from Dillon was best done, all you need, in one stroke.
    You can make die head holders with a block of pine 1x4 and a 3/4" dowel using a drill press and a drop of wood glue, with a piece of wax paper. Cut a 4" block, draw a line corner to corner drill hole in center, put glue around the rod tip, push rod into hole in wood block sitting on the wax paper on a flat surface, so it sits flat when assembled, allow to cure, you have a head holder. A simple plastic grocery store type bag is a cheap enough dust cover. I use black graphite for reels from a tacke store for my press lube.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Hey Rapier, nice. But my prob now finally is getting the dies to function. My Redding set #88172 (its carbide).
    It wont seat bullets correctly. I reached out to Redding yesterday; let's see what they say.
    Much obliged, Max
    Last edited by max it; 05-23-2024 at 11:03 AM.

the story continues (for me at least).
    Redding tells me today that that set is not for progressive presses.
    So I am cobbling my Lee dies together. I have a undersized sizing Lee die from EGW. The powder thru/belling is done by my dillon powder station. Next is need for a seating die situation.

I'll have to check my LGS (actually he is a dedicated Reloading Store).
    Much obliged, Max
    Last edited by max it; 05-23-2024 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Use your Redding die to seat. Back off the crimp portion so it doesn’t crimp. Then adjust to seat. Use you Lee die to crimp

"Live long learn a lot, die and forget it all!" -Someone said that.

One shooting buddy sold me a old RCBS set and I am using the seating die. It works, problem solved.
    Much obliged, Max