MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: End of Lead

The OP innocently started the thread, I believe. I saw the FoxNews article yesterday, it talks of a movement to reduce/eliminate lead use in ammunition. And that several states are jumping on the green bandwagon. You can't help but wonder if the future will outlaw lead bullets, maybe including the homemade ones. It's more about the EPA vs lead than it is about Doe Run.

Oops, I said Doe Run. I hope the strong respect for freedom here will not be offended.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master
    The EPA is a far greater risk to shooting sports than Doe Run closing is. I could easily see this EPA wanting to shut down all lead bullet use. These morons will stop at nothing.

Doe Run is a symptom, not the disease.

^. Yep. Look at the legislation passed recently in California (if I remember correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    The EPA is a far greater risk to shooting sports than Doe Run closing is. I could easily see this EPA wanting to shut down all lead bullet use. These morons will stop at nothing.

Doe Run is a symptom, not the disease.
    Which gives validity to the overly-lambasted posts about Doe Run. Spotlighting a symptom is a good way to spotlight a disease. Then do something about the disease if the risk of ignoring it is too great.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master
    They aren't overly lambasted based on merit but rather because of sheer volume. When a single topic gets numerous new threads in a short period of time it grows tiresome.

Yep, Doe run, lead, and the EPA are the zombie topic

They aren't overly lambasted based on merit but rather because of sheer volume. When a single topic gets numerous new threads in a short period of time it grows tiresome.
    That's one of those difficult situations, kinda like the way free speech with no harm intended requires that everyone is allowed regardless of anybody else's reaction. Posting about a worn out subject doesn't necessarily require lots of rehashed responses, it only requires civility. Nobody should be made guilty of innocently violating somebody else's personal microrule.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no micro rule. I just don't see a need to rehash a topic because someone didn't pay attention to the days posts.

We might as well make Doe Run a sticky so we know that nobody will read it......

I have no micro rule. I just don't see a need to rehash a topic because someone didn't pay attention to the days posts.

We might as well make Doe Run a sticky so we know that nobody will read it......
    I apologize btroj, I suck at expressing my thoughts. The microrule idea is when something that is basically innocent in nature crosses someone the wrong way due to that person's own intolerance of a given subject. And that the displeased person is justified in making unfriendly or insulting implications that the original post was somehow wrong (broke the microrule). If a freshman has a new thought or question and posts it and then is met with criticism from seniors it'll cause a small fear of doing it again and not knowing what's ok and what's not, outside of stated forum rules. Anyway, that's all I was trying to point out. But that's what we got moderators for.
    Last edited by el34; 12-22-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It isn't the question, it is the fact it was asked daily for an entire semester. After a few weeks even the freshman are wondering if their classmates are paying attention at all.

I think this topic came up 5 or 6 times in a single week, a few in the same day. It was a good topic, the first dozen times. Now it is just monotonous.

Like I said, a zombie topic.

I think this topic came up 5 or 6 times in a single week, a few in the same day. It was a good topic, the first dozen times. Now it is just monotonous.
    Absolutely correct there. It's the reaction to it that matters.

Next month I will have been casting for a year. I'm a freshman but was seriously bitten by the bug. I haven't been here long enough to get tired of anything, I just read as much as I want then move on. A while back I picked up the realization that if I thought of something important to me during the day then logged in when I got home and immediately posted about it I might find out I "didn't search first" or "we're tired of this", which dents the sense of freedom to post.

All this is just my opinion, not to be taken too seriously

Boolit Master
    It isn't the question, it is the fact it was asked daily for an entire semester. After a few weeks even the freshman are wondering if their classmates are paying attention at all.

Like I said, a zombie topic.
    Man, why do you keep tortureing yourself. Stay away from the zombie topic, do you really have to read every post to the fourm?

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    ..........A while back I picked up the realization that if I thought of something important to me during the day then logged in when I got home and immediately posted about it I might find out I "didn't search first" or "we're tired of this", which dents the sense of freedom to post.

All this is just my opinion, not to be taken too seriously
    Wait, do you think that people will form an impression of you and it might be negative if you ask questions that have been answered many times? Duh, yes, do the search first and not only here but around the web. I feel to many members just want to ask questions to build post count or to get a personel response instead of the answer that has already been provided. Feel free to post and ask whatever you want, I will feel free to respond or ignore and form whatever opinion I might wish. I think the dents in your sense of freedom to post is possibly your good sense trying to tell you something.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    ..., do the search first and not only here but around the web. I feel to many members just want to ask questions to build post count or to get a personel response instead of the answer that has already been provided. Feel free to post and ask whatever you want, I will feel free to respond or ignore and form whatever opinion I might wish. I think the dents in your sense of freedom to post is possibly your good sense trying to tell you something.

Tim
    Got it! Maybe others will catch on too. Thanks Tim.

Boolit Buddy
    As the op, I kinda figured either it had been posted before or not (pretty safe assumption). I also figured (this is where I was wrong) that IF it had been posted before, then those that had seen it would either say 'seen it' and move along or provide intelligent commentary as they saw fit. If I took the time to post 'zombie topic' on every ww sorting post or every black powder making post (the ones I follow most) then I wouldnt have time for a job. I am always incredulous at the intention and motivation of those who would take the time like they have on this thread to argue that this topic has been overly discussed. I recognize that I posted a topic that has been posted before, I also recognize that unless I am EPA chief there is little that can be done, I did not post this as a worriesome 'sky is falling' post, it was a referrence to a current event impacting our hobbies. I would like to get together and meet a lot of board members someday at like a jamboree or forum shoot, others not so much as they appear to be sort of a 'neighborhood association', overzealous in their opinion of how others should behave.
    Atom...

Boolit Master

Atom,

I need to apologize.

I did to you what I have castigated others for doing.

You are right.

Those that have seen this subject before and are not interested in discussing again should have just moved on to something else.

Please accept my apologies.

Jim

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    Jim,
    Thanks for saying that. I am not trolling for apologies, my self esteem could actually use some hits (it's way too high!). But the fact that you would consider saying that means that you are a stand up guy!
    Mike

Boolit Master
    The EPA wants to ban fire hydrants that have lead in them........Isnt lead insoluable in water?

Boolit Grand Master

It's not the lead but rather lead oxide. There are those that believe it could have also been a part of the fall of the Roman Empire because of their lead water pipes and lead drinking mugs. They also sweetened their wine with lead. Yummy.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Atom,

I need to apologize.

I did to you what I have castigated others for doing.

You are right.

Those that have seen this subject before and are not interested in discussing again should have just moved on to something else.

Please accept my apologies.

Jim
    Now there's an indicator of solid character.
    Well, except the castigating part- isn't that where you lop off someone's Brazils?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast