Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee dippers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Is the grouping difference between, say, 33.7 grs H4895 and 34 grs noticeable at 100 yds? The 7.5x55 is the first smokeless round I've reloaded (I've been shooting mostly BP for years).
    It might be measurable, but not noticeable for the shooting you want to do. If you have the time to try it, use a combination of dippers. Say 2 dips with a 1cc and 1 dip with a 0.5cc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I do not have a powder scale yet - it's most likely on the way. I do have a Lee powder measure kit (15 dippers). I'm reloading Swiss 7.5x55.
    Are the powder dippers accurate enough to use for test rounds? I'm not looking for accurate loads, just safe ones. I wanted to try about 34 grs H4895 with a 150 gr bullet (.309). The kit's chart/scale reads 2.5cc for 34 grs.
    Lets put it this way. I bought my first Lee Classic whackem loader with dipper back in the early 1960s. That is 50 years ago, I checked that aluminum dipper few months ago, it was still throwing the same 40 grain charge.

If the Lee Dippers were not safe and accurate, I doubt they would still be made and sold today.

Banned

There is no safer way to reload. Static volume and no moving parts.

Boolit Master
    The Lee collet dies came with a 2.8cc dipper and the included chart says that, with a 150 gr FMJ bullet, use 40 grs of H4895. I started mixing dippers to come up with the 40 grs (2.8cc is right around 38 grs).
    Then I found a chart on the Swiss Rifles forum that listed 36.3 grs as a low powder charge, and goes up from there.
    So, the 2.8cc dipper that Lee provided with the dies is less than their suggested 40 grs but still safe.

150 Hornady GMX, IB, SST, SP, BTSP, RN, BT-FMJ, H-4895 36.3 2,300
    150 Hornady GMX, IB, SST, SP, BTSP, RN, BT-FMJ, H-4895 38.4 2,400

maximum load H-4895 44.6 2,700

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Lee dipper are easy to modify by filing off material from the top thereby reducing their capacity. The edges can be smoothed by several means. Of course you want to use a powder scale to determine what charge you are dipping. Of course, you then have to segregate and mark the modified dipper. They are very useful little gizmos.
    The capacity can also be reduced by adding tape to the inside. The advantage of doing this is that the procedure is reversible. I cannot claim credit for this-I think I read it here.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I'll second Hoffmanite's suggestion of using spherical powder for better consistency. I've used lee dippers a lot in the past and still do some today. A friend wanted to load 30-06 and that was all. Set up with a safe load of winchester 748 and he's still loading with a dipper and hand press 20 years later. As I recall, no matter how that powder was dipped, as long as it was carded flat we were within .3 grain. I also loaded a lot of H110 with them. The charge tables really arent very accurate though. Maybe a friend will let you borrow a scale for a bit.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I got a digital scale and I've been checking the loads that the dippers actually scoop, and like you said, each scoop is pretty close to the others.

Banned

For me, the dippers are accurate enough if you use a practiced repetitive technique. If you are anal or need more precision use a powder tickler as suggested.

Boolit Master
    Hello, I have a set of red dippers that aren't marked in cc's but have a number i.e 020, 039, 052 ect,,ect.
    Which came first the Yellow ones or the Red ones?.
    happy new year,,,

Banned

Red first

Boolit Grand Master

I've used Lee dippers for years and while I have had a scale for many years, it is quicker and easier to use dippers for plinking loads (mostly what I shoot). Some may agree and some may not but I have to say that Lee wouldn't be making and selling dipper kits if they didn't sell.

I do check the dippers using a scale to make sure they are throwing the correct charge. I can't recall how much variation I find but I will say up to a couple of grains. Some powders change considerably in density. I have some SR4756 that throws a significantly heavier charge than the Lee chart indicates.

So, use the Lee dippers but check with a scale if and when you get one and don't play to close to max. loads because both powder and technique may cause charge variations. Lighter is okay but heavier may not be.

Happy New Year by the way!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Is .3 grain going to matter to you shooting the gong at 100 no Your dipping looks just fine your not at max load or dealing with a tiny capacity pistol case there are a lot of other factors that will matter more than .3 grains of powder including just how accurate and repeatable your scale is Go out and give that gong a pounding

Boolit Master

I scoop and tap sideways. I weighed all the powders I use so there's no worry. Don't use my numbers using your method of scooping.

This digital scale weighs to the 1/100th of a grain. More precise than most. But it pegs out at 350 grs. Got this straight from China for less than $20. Been happy with it.

Boolit Master
    I used to be fairly anal about weighing each charge. One day while testing some loads in my 338 win mag that had a 3 grain variation, 5 shots per load on each target. All shot well, just under moa. While looking at the targets later I noticed they all landed in the same spot in relation to the aim point.

I could have taken one cartridge from each loading with 3 gr of H4350 variation between them and still shot a group at moa or less. I've never worried about slight differences in powder since.

If I was loading at max then I certainly would be careful.

Also three grains difference in a 338 mag does not equal 3 grs in say a 30-30

If I wondered I'd deliberately load some loads with twice the variation that I got from my metering system and go shoot a group with them. This will affect some guns more than others. Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

are we to assume this is a k31 and not an 1889

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    It's a Schmidt Rubin 96/11.

I love lee dippers put in pan than trickle the rest for my varmint loads.just dip and check often for pistol.rember all muzzleloaders since way back use volume to load (i know black and smokeless use different ways to measure but look how many years they worked)

Boolit Master
    The so called light charges the LEE dipper throws are by no means weak charges.
    They are a touch light for safety, but I can assure you they are killers and will shoot thru anything you hit with them.
    I have used dippers for years and made my own using a scale to weigh the charge produced.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    The so called light charges the LEE dipper throws are by no means weak charges.
    They are a touch light for safety, but I can assure you they are killers and will shoot thru anything you hit with them.
    I have used dippers for years and made my own using a scale to weigh the charge produced.
    Technique will cause variation, ie... swiping fresh "dip" with business card Will result in lower charge weight.. "heaping" will result in slightly heavier charge... One Shake, or Bump??? two???? use your Scale to get yer technique.. Use whatever is Repeatable, for You

decades ago Wiley Clapp wrote about this in Gun World magazine - his method gave very consistent + accurate charges - he filled a cup with powder, inserted dipper to bottom + scoop up with dipper over full, + than use a business card to strike of excess powder - been doing that way for more years than i can remember with no problems at all - i utilize both the red + yellow ones for most of my loading -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast