RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lee dippers

Boolit Master

I use dippers more than I use a powder measure. But, I use a scale to adjust the charge before dropping it into the case. I weigh each and every powder charge I put into a case, both handgun and rifle. I really like and use the lee dippers and consider them one of the best ideas Lee ever came up with. my .02 anyway, james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I use dippers more than I use a powder measure. But, I use a scale to adjust the charge before dropping it into the case. I weigh each and every powder charge I put into a case, both handgun and rifle. I really like and use the lee dippers and consider them one of the best ideas Lee ever came up with. my .02 anyway, james
    Each their Own... No way I do all that.. Hell...I prolly aint a good enough Shot to tell any Difference!!!
    I did do a 3/8", 5 shot group, at 100yds...Once, with my 10" Contender in 357 Herrett.. when I was Much younger...and could see pretty darn good!!!
    Betting those Charges were Not Weighed..

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Since you have a scales now look around for a powder trickler. Dip close to what you want dump into scale pan and trickle the last little bit in to what you want. A fired cleaned case with a little powder can be twisted between your fingers to "trickle" that last little bit in.
    This is how I use dippers. You don't have to spend the time setting up the powder measure, you just pick the right dipper and use the trickler to top it up on the scale. You have to use the trickler with the powder measure anyway, if you want really precise powder charges, so the dipper actually saves you a little time. And, I think a set of dippers is way cheaper than a powder measure, so ya got that going for you as well.

Scotty.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Each their Own... No way I do all that.. Hell...I prolly aint a good enough Shot to tell any Difference!!!
    I did do a 3/8", 5 shot group, at 100yds...Once, with my 10" Contender in 357 Herrett.. when I was Much younger...and could see pretty darn good!!!
    Betting those Charges were Not Weighed..
    Yeah, you can get away with a few tenths of a grain difference in powder charges, especially so the bigger the charge is. I weigh every charge mostly for peace of mind. I'm not in a real big hurry when I reload, I don't shoot enough to need massive quantities of ammunition in a hurry. I'm not married and I don't have any kids, so I have the time. It works for me. I'm not worried about over charging a case because my powder measure had a hiccup. What I worry about is making sure I'm actually using the powder I think I'm using! LOL! HP38 looks an awful lot like H110, and if you think you're loading H110 but it's actually HP38, you could be in for a nasty surprise!
    It's a safe hobby if you pay attention to what you're doing, so let's be careful out there, folks.

Scotty

Boolit Master
    A dipper is just a nonadjustable powder measure that can be custom made by you to throw a specific load with a specific powder

What more could you want?

Boolit Master
    A dipper is just a nonadjustable powder measure that can be custom made by you to throw a specific load with a specific powder

What more could you want?
    I use a dip and pull out with a sidewise shake and pour.
    Get scale and dip ten charges with the same sideways shake.
    Weigh it and divide by ten.
    Try it a few times and you
    Will see that it is so close that it doesn't matter.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought an early set of the yellow dippers with the slide rule almost 40 years ago. It still has a place on my loading bench. Also bought a Lee Perfect Powder Measure when they were a new thing and darned if it still gets used nearly as much as my RCBS. Both are really handy for dropping a slightly underweight charge into the scale pan which then gets topped off using a powder trickler.
    Using a consistent technique with the dippers for rifle loads I usually get one grain of variation or less even with coarse stick powders.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    Hello, I have a set of red dippers that aren't marked in cc's but have a number i.e 020, 039, 052 ect,,ect.
    Which came first the Yellow ones or the Red ones?.
    happy new year,,,
    The Red dippers I believe came first they are measure in cubic inches. When the yellow came out they were measured in cubic centimeters. In the yellow dippers the value under the "1" reflects the number of grains in one cubic centimeter for each powder in the chart. There is a chart that can be used that convert the number of cubic inches in each Red dipper to cubic centimeters. You simply take the Red cubic centimeter value of each dipper and multiple it by the grain amount under the "1" dipper of the Yellow and it will give you the number of grains the Red dipper throws. It's useful if there are newer powders in the Yellow chart that aren't in the Red chart

AND make sure you are using the dipper data for your H4895 and not IMR4895. They are different. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Dippers are fine.
    But no scale to verify,or loading recipes is not the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Firearm Nut View Post
    The Red dippers I believe came first they are measure in cubic inches. When the yellow came out they were measured in cubic centimeters. In the yellow dippers the value under the "1" reflects the number of grains in one cubic centimeter for each powder in the chart. There is a chart that can be used that convert the number of cubic inches in each Red dipper to cubic centimeters. You simply take the Red cubic centimeter value of each dipper and multiple it by the grain amount under the "1" dipper of the Yellow and it will give you the number of grains the Red dipper throws. It's useful if there are newer powders in the Yellow chart that aren't in the Red chart
    Have had a set of black Lee dippers since the late '60s.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Have had a set of black Lee dippers since the late '60s.
    Like these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2023-5-25-204300.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Exactly like those......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I love reloading and the associated fun.

I recently started using dippers and was pleasantly surprised by the consistency they give which may be down to the technique I use.
    Howsumever I got really frustrated when loading 38 sp as the loads thrown in my chosen powder (Lovex D036 a ball powder about equivalent to unique) I modified several dippers but would advise against modifying the bevelled edge, my method was the make up some plastic steel and pour it into a degreased dipper. If it throws light I just cut some of the plastic steel away with a suitably sized end mill - I use a 6mm one which just fits inside the 0.5 cc dipper and the amount of powder thrown can be accurately established against a digital scale.
    It seems to work, about 15 - 20 ish fps variation in velocity measured with my magnetospeed and 2" groups at 50 yards with both my 30/30 and 357 lever guns.
    I load squibs in 30/30 with 120 grain cast and just download the 357 with the same bullet, lee 158 grn rnfp, I have loads that go from 800 fps up through 1600 in 357 and nearly 1950 with a gc in 30/30. I use LLA lub and the muzzles are always smudged, easier to see on the stainless 357 but gets my thumb dirty on the 30/30. Pic around somewhere of the 30 cal boolits I use.
    Just my 2pClick image for larger version. 

Name:	30 30 boolits.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	315914

Did the OP get a scale yet?

Love the LEE Dippers too.
    Great fun for loading at the range.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234