MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee dippers

Boolit Master

Lee dippers

I do not have a powder scale yet - it's most likely on the way. I do have a Lee powder measure kit (15 dippers). I'm reloading Swiss 7.5x55.
    Are the powder dippers accurate enough to use for test rounds? I'm not looking for accurate loads, just safe ones. I wanted to try about 34 grs H4895 with a 150 gr bullet (.309). The kit's chart/scale reads 2.5cc for 34 grs.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Lee charge cups work fine, as long as you base your choice of measure on known safe load data and you use a consistent method for using the charge cup. I routinely use the Lee charge cups or "dippers" with my Lyman tong tools, and pack the appropriate measure with a data card I have worked up for the appropriate caliber and powder. Your proposed 34 grain charge of 4895 sounds reasonable for the 7.5. I use the same in my .308 Win., .303 British and .30-'06 rifles with #311299. I have found this is about the lightest load which reliably cycles the M1 Garand. You may want to use about 1.0 grain of Dacron fiber fill over the powder charge to improve ballistic uniformity.

I have found I get the most uniform charges by lowering the charge cup base first into a shallow bowl of powder, letting the powder flow in of its own weight, NOT simply dragging the cup through the powder like you were shoveling corn to feed the hogs!

Let the cup fill, pushing it straight down into the powder, then raise it straight up, using a card to strike the charge off level, before pouring it into the case, using a powder funnel. Charges measured in this manner will be as uniform as if you used a mechanical measure.

Boolit Master
    Good info. Thanks.

Banned

The technique outlined by Outpost75 is the same method set out by Richard Lee, i.e. push bottom of dipper into powder and let it fall in and strike off the dipper with a straight-edge/card. I find that will throw light charges, not a bad thing per se. I like to scoop and shake off excess. That is close enough for me, but using a card or straight-edge to strike off dipper would be more consistent. I find I get closer to advertised charge weight with that technique. Regardless, use a consistent technique and weigh enough charges so that you are sure of what you are getting. Then you can put your scale away until you buy some new powder, which should always be checked out with a scale. Dippers are the safest way to charge cases with a static volume and no moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I do not have a powder scale yet - it's most likely on the way. I do have a Lee powder measure kit (15 dippers). I'm reloading Swiss 7.5x55.
    Are the powder dippers accurate enough to use for test rounds? I'm not looking for accurate loads, just safe ones. I wanted to try about 34 grs H4895 with a 150 gr bullet (.309). The kit's chart/scale reads 2.5cc for 34 grs.
    Battis,
    The Lee recommends to load low end of things. That's always a safe bet. Compare your 34 grs with other manuals ranges for a verification. I don't have any load data for you particular cartridge, so I've expended my helpfulness at this point.
    Safe Reloading, shooting, reloading. (generally in that order),
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Lee dippers do a reasonably good job although as stated, a little on the light side. The secret is in the method used to fill them;generally that is to push the dipper through once, shake once and strike off the top with a 3x5 card. I have made my own dippers as well, from fired pistol casings to throw whatever charges I needed. For the right charge to load use a good manual to guide you. A bottom line suggestion is simply that you cannot really manage the correct handling of powders without a good scale and a set of check weights to keep it honest. You can make the weights yourself as a set of them commercially made is a bit pricey. Its always better off safe than sorry. LLS

Boolit Master
    If I don't get a scale for Xmas (how many hints can I leave?) I'll get one myself. The Store has several used RCBS beam scales that look really good for about $50. I got some sample cast bullets (15 - some lubed, some not) from a seller on Gunbroker and I want to try a few before I buy many. 34 grs H4895 seems to be a good starting load from what I've read.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, but do not approach maximum loads, leave yourself some headroom
    for the inevitable variation. I scoop one, smooth, consistent scoop
    sideways, swinging smoothly to vertical, then strike off for my most consistent
    results. If ANYTHING feels different, dump it and rescoop. Quick and reasonably
    accurate.

Try about 36-38 grains of IMR 4064, I think you will find this to be quite
    nice in the K31 and the max is somewhere north of 44 grains so you will
    be quite safe.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see Lee come out with another dipper set intended for handguns and small charges. Start out around 2 gr. of Bullseye for instance. The dippers available now don't allow much flexibility in the real small charge end. I know, make my own. I do, but a nice set from Lee would be swell.

Lee dipper are easy to modify by filing off material from the top thereby reducing their capacity. The edges can be smoothed by several means. Of course you want to use a powder scale to determine what charge you are dipping. Of course, you then have to segregate and mark the modified dipper. They are very useful little gizmos.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd highly suggest you use a scale to find out exactly what your dipping method throws. I've been using dippers since I started (Lee Loader in .38 Spec., in1969) and depending on the method you choose, charges can vary 1-1 1/2 grain. Sometimes I'll use the recommended method; push dipper backward and even top w/straight edge and sometimes I'll run the dipper through mouth first, sometimes I'll shake, and sometimes I'll tap. Which ever method you choose, you gotta do it exactly the same way every time and it's best to check your method with a scale. When I'm on a roll, I can hold .10 gr. of Bullseye, equal to my C-H 502 powder measure...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

I keep a chart verified by a scale that shows what each dipper "throws" with the powder I use .

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, when using Lee Dippers, you will have less problem throwing a consistent charge of powder by using a spherical type powder. Generally I use a set of 31 Lee Dippers I've made from other Lee dippers as suggested earlier for almost all my reloading. LOL, lots of time was spent with a couple of different digital scales determining the grains of powder my dippers would throw with my dip technique....have charted over 15 different rifle powders.

My rifle, dipper loads, go pretty quick and are exact. I use one of several dips and trickle up into the scale pan. It only takes a couple seconds. Pistol loads just get scooped and thru a funnel into 25 waiting cases. (Then they get examined well). My last session, with ACP, got a time of a little over 16 min/100. (or 4min/25) lol. These are on a single stage, Lee turret with no index.

Banned

"I keep a chart verified by a scale that shows what each dipper "throws" with the powder I use ."

That is a good idea. The Lee Slide Rule Chart is a guideline.

Boolit Master
    I got a scale and measured, a dozen times, what the 2.5cc dipper threw, with different techniques - scraping with a card, eye balling the contents, just dipping and measuring - and each dipper/scale measurement was close to the others, but never exactly the same (H4895). 33.7 grs, 33.5 grs, 34.1 grs, 34.3 grs., etc.
    I'm concerned about safety as opposed to accuracy and since 34 grs of H4895 is listed as a low to medium charge for the 7.5x55, I think the dippers will be fine.
    Unless I'm missing something.

Boolit Buddy
    Battis, your various grain readings when testing the 2.5cc Lee Dipper with H4895 is kinda typical when using a stick powder with Lee dippers. This is the reason I prefer spherical powders, have less variation with spherical. As you wrote, "I think the dippers will be fine," is true when it comes to safety. Its when you are concerned with extreme accuracy with your reload, the variation you listed would not be tolerated.

Boolit Master
    I don't hunt or compete, and rarely shoot paper targets, but I do like to gong the gong at 100 yds and hit milk jugs at 200 yds. I just like these old Swiss rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you have a scales now look around for a powder trickler. Dip close to what you want dump into scale pan and trickle the last little bit in to what you want. A fired cleaned case with a little powder can be twisted between your fingers to "trickle" that last little bit in.

Boolit Master
    Is the grouping difference between, say, 33.7 grs H4895 and 34 grs noticeable at 100 yds? The 7.5x55 is the first smokeless round I've reloaded (I've been shooting mostly BP for years).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast