RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Air gun lube

Air gun lube

I have inherited a couple of better side lever air rifles. With them came a bottle of the gummiest air gun oil you ever saw, reminds me of old 3-in-one oil. Can't be good. Will ATF hurt the innards?

Boolit Master

Never used it, but Pyramidair.com has dedicated airgun oil that won't hurt the seals. That would be my advice.

For synthetic seals in a spring piston airgun use silicone oil. It has a very high flash point and will not diesel.
    For leather seals, you can use a good grade petroleum based oil. Silicone oil is still preferred.
    If they have not been fired in a long time, place 5 to 10 drops down the barrel and leave standing for a week or so to soak in.
    Silver Eagle

TANSTAAFL
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    - Robert A. Heinlein from "The moon is a harsh mistress"

Thanks fellows. My next question will be what kind of seals do these guns have which will be asked as soon as I dig the guns out and see who made them and what models etc.

Boolit Buddy
    A newer plastic seal will not be served by oiling it. Only the leather will benefit.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Boolit Buddy
    I use 30w non detergent oil for my Crosman pump guns and i put a drop of oil on the top of the air cart every other cart i load one.

I had a Daisy BB Gun in my youth, and it was neglected by my father who let his other kids use it while I was back in CA. I finally got it shipped to me when I was 12 and it would hardly shoot a BB out of the barrel.

My favorite Uncle took the gun to work and soaked it is solvent for a couple of days and when I got it back the thing shot like a .22.

I only realized recently that the leather seal in the gun was swelled up by the solvent. The same thing happened to my HW35 which has a leather seal, however I used some Beeman airgun oil I bought many years ago.

It's amazing to me how you can go for 50 years and not know the answer to a question, and then it is answered and a whole new realm of knowledge suddenly opens up for you.

Id ask one of the guys a Pyramyd Air what kind of oil to use in your gun. That way you will get the right answer up front.

Pakprotector: I'm probably the only one on this site that knows what all the stuff in your signature means.

I am the builder of the DeScrambler from 4BTSWAPS.com.

Attachment 91079

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks again fellows. I'll check Pyramid Air. A.R., Have fun with your Hummmm Veee!