WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: swaging 22 bullets. lee clasic cast?

swaging 22 bullets. lee clasic cast?

My dad asked me to ask this.
    He is working on getting all the swaging stuff, for making 22 cal bullets, out of 22 cases. he wants to know if the lee classic cast is stout enough for this job.
    Thank you from him
    Daniel/BS Jr. / BIC/BS

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I have Corbin's setup for this. I don't think you would like the results. It is hard to get excellent results even with Corbins press.

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion a Rockchucker is minimum, Lymons old "Orange Crusher" is another. If you go through with the project one thing that is usually required to get decent accuracy is to seperat the finished bullets by wgt. Some will also seperate by head stamp but wgt seems to be the most critical. Short of a Corbin you are going to have some flexing so exact repeatability is not possible

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    The Lee Classic press has repeatedly proving itself to reshape (form) cast bullets, or even resize cast bullets by bumping up calibers to larger size...I've done it for nearly 3 years.

However, I cannot say how it will do with swaging .22 caliber brass and lead inserts...never done it, don't have the dies to try it.

But if anyone wants to loan them to me, I'll make a pictorial of its functioning to see if it can handle it.

However, I would think you'd be better served with a press with some real moxey, like a Corbin type.

Jim

Last edited by Swagerman; 11-25-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've made many thousands of the Corbin swaged .22 caliber jackets and bullets on my old Rockchucker. I own a Lee Classic Turret press that certainly has the power to do the job, but I have not used it for this yet.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore