Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatabout those 303 barreled Martini's

Whatabout those 303 barreled Martini's

How good or bad are those 303 british barreled martini's that started live as 577/450's

Wish I could find one at a good price.

Awful. If you find any at a decent price be sure to let us know.

Boolit Master

I have always wanted one of these for some reason. As far as good price, this is not too bad but it would need serious work:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=379794000

Be careful of buying one, a good percentage of the ones for sale are fakes. Familiarize yourself with what the correct markings and proofs look like before you ever dream of buying one. Most are easy to spot, but some are pretty good.

-Nobade

In Remembrance

I have both a MkII and a MkIII .303 Martini and they are fine shooters. I have always had a soft spot for single shot rifles and these both live up to my requirements. One is "Metford" rifles and the other is "Enfield" rifled. The MkII started out as a 577-.450MH and was converted to .303Brit. in 1892 but the MkIII was a purpose built "trade rifle" made originally in .303 around 1896 with Enfield rifling and "cordite proofed." I shoot both with cast boolits and they almost as accurate as any of my later made Lee Enfield rifles. Their original sights leave a lot to be desired as par as precision shooting goes.

in Remebrance
    What Nobade said. Lately there are a large number of Martinis on the market that we call "Khyber Pass" copies. The Afghans are masters at hand making copies of various firearms in little cottage workshops and they are mighty hard to tell from originals. They even try to copy the proof marks. They're made of whatever metal is at hand and mostly the factory parts, screws and such won't even fit. They will sling a bullet, how many times is the question. Mind you, people are asking prices equal to originals. Beware!! GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    How good or bad are those 303 british barreled martini's that started live as 577/450's
    The metfords are made for the black powder 303 cartridge, the enfields will take whatever off the shelf ammo you can buy.

You're challenge will be finding one that doesnt have a sewer pipe bore.

I just purchased an 1896 rifle by HRB & Co which was a 577/450, then converted in the same year to 303 by Royal Enfield factory. One of the best barrels I've ever seen. Came complete with front sight cover

Shoots exceptionally well with a 195gn cast boolit as this 100yd x 10 shot group indicates

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Attachment 90936
    Is this the type of a Martini in 303 british my cousin should be looking for?

Those stamps look nothing like my LSA.co martini enfield.

The right side of the enfields tend to have the original stamping back when they were a .450, the conversion stamping are on the left.

For the enfields you'l also see a stamping on the barrel thats identical to what you would see on a SMLE the "BNP 16.5 tons per............."

Maybe the difference is because the pic of the one he seen is a B.S.A. Model?

No, even if it was a BSA 303, the old martial markings would be on the right hand side and the conversion date on the left. Notice the difference in quality of the stamping? Also the "VOR" wierds me out (should be V.R) and since Victoria died in 01 in 1902 there should be an ER signifying king Edward.

There are fake ones out there.

Edited to add: Theres also no "enfield" stamp and the crown over the queens name is a kings crown. More signs of a questionable fake, likely made in a place where theres alot of sand.

Site to look at: http://www.martinihenry.com/markings.htm
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 12-22-2013 at 04:36 AM.

Gave him all the information but think he is going to get it anyway. He did say the stock is terrible but the action was really tight and looked like it was machined very well. Told him if he does get it to buy a box of factory rounds and strap it down. If no problem after firing off the box it is probably safe, hope I told him right?

Boolit Master

Mine has a trigger that almost takes a hydraulic jack to pull.

I had such great hopes...

dale in Louisiana

I would think he would be safe using black powder loads or the ever so popular know 10-12 gr Unique load with cast bullets?

He'd probably be fine. Why not just buy a cadet if he wants to shoot mild ammo? He'l have a smaller action to deal with as well.

Are you asking questions or making statements with a question mark at the end? Its hard to tell.

Boolit Buddy
    This is what can happen if you buy a shop built Martini clone.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=kyber

Boolit Buddy
    my memory is a bit hazy but i do seem to remember a fellow over on either the gunboards forum or the british militaria forum testing a seemingly well made khyber pass copy of a .303 martini to destruction, i also seem to remember that it only took about 20 rounds of factory ammo to destroy it.

mayhaps someone with a bit better memory can remember where the thread is located . i do think the tested rifle was one of the fakes sog was trying to pass off as built on british equipment under british supervision or some such lie

but the point is that these rifles that are fakes should realy not be fired .. no matter how well the machining looks these rifles where put together with what ever metal the builder happened to have handy .

we only get two eyes and ten fingers to last us as long as we live ... does your friend like his ?

Quote Originally Posted by hickstick_10 View Post
    He'd probably be fine. Why not just buy a cadet if he wants to shoot mild ammo? He'l have a smaller action to deal with as well.

Are you asking questions or making statements with a question mark at the end? Its hard to tell.
    More of a statement but in hopes someone may have a reply.