Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Old new boy with questions.

Boolit Mold

Old new boy with questions.

I recently purchased a Wesson & Harrington Buffalo Classic in 45-70 and would like to start reloading. Have never done any reloading but I own and use a Rock Chucker press and RCBS electronic scales on a regular basis. I now build and shoot smokeless muzzleloaders and a lot of the powders and boolits I use can be loaded in the 45-70 round. I cannot hunt with a centerfire rifle in my county so this 45-70 would be for targets and having fun. I am interested in smokeless as well as black powder loads. Since I have the press and scales, what else do I need to get started? What is the best reloading manual to buy? What brass and boolits do you recommend? Eventually I would start casting my own boolits. I am a 60+ yr old kid that loves to shoot - especially large boolits at longer ranges. I am looking for you guys to start me in the right direction. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Barry

Banned

the list is gonna be fairly long/short....
    I'm limited on time right now so i'll let the others chime in and just give you a welcome aboard to the site.

The people here are the best I have found and there is a ****load of information on 45-70. I just read and search through new and old posts and links and learned a whole lot. Do searches and Go back through all of the threads (old ones too). You will probably find everything you are looking for (at least to get started) here.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the site. Loading dies come to mind first. Get something green (RCBS or Redding). Both are good dies but the Redding are a little nicer finished if the budget allows. The Lyman 49th edition Reloading handbook for cast and jacketed or the Lyman 4th edition cast handbook for cast only. Brass.....Remington or Winchester or Starline ( I don't have much experience with Starline but understand it is good stuff.
    These should get you on your way,
    Rick

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...69:ggn3vg-bjum
    Try your search for the 45-70 using this Google seach. It is setup for the cast boolit sight. Lots easier to use.
    Welcome to the forum.
    CD

Boolit Buddy

BC,

Welcome aboard... You made an excellent choice... and instantly made a few thousand new friends....

Where is your home?

Merry Christmas from Alabama,

F R Ray

1. dies/shell holder for your gun
    2. case lube, there are many ways to do this, spray type, lube pad and lube, paste. I make my own with Lanolin oil and 91 or 99% Alcohol. 99% is best by far.
    3. A case trimmer, again there are many types. I use the lathe type but the Lee is use by some here.
    4. A way to prime you cases, The Press you have has or can have one.
    5. a Lyman Cast bullet(bullit) Handbook 4th edition, it's all cast bullits all the time. There is a Lyman handbook for jacked and it has a small amount of cast bullits in it. There is ""basic how to" in most of them (not the cast one) Go to a used book store to get a older handbook with the "basic" that hasn't change much and would get you started. Save sum$
    There are some idea, others will think of the thing I forgot.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. I am from eastern Virginia close to the Chesapeake bay. I just ordered a book called "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" and am excited to get started. I have been trying to find some factory ammo to get started but that's almost impossible except for the hotter ones made for the lever guns (Hornady 325 FTX).

Take a peek at this thread and see if it helps you any. 45-70 is a fun cartridge to load and making your own bullets is a hoot.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought Lyman dies because they included the neck expanding "M" die which works well with cast boolits. A tool to slightly bevel the case mouth is helpfull and at some point you will probably want a case trimmer. Lee makes inexpensive ones. Case lube is important if you want to avoid getting a case stuck in your die. I would not use Hornady brass as apparently the stuff they make for their 45-70 rubber pointed ammo is shorter than usual.

Sorry for repeating some of the points the other guys made. Have a good Christmas.

Boolit Man

+1 on the "M" die, I like the Lyman dies also, just my own opinion. Lots of info in the stickies and old post and great suggestions on the manuals, although I prefer Lymans #3 over their newer #4, again just my opinion. Good Luck and brace yourself for what's to come. It's a great way of life and nothing beats the feeling of sending something you made down range and hitting what you were aiming to hit. Welcome aboard and Merry Christmas from NE Alabama.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome youngster. This post ain't a "just tell him to read a book" reply, but a copy of The ABCs of Reloading, or a Lyman 49th Edition Reloaders Handbook will give a good, detailed overview of reloading, and the tools/equipment you'll need for your reloading needs. I suggest this because a complete list for me/my methods and choice of calibers will differ greatly from yours, and some tools recommended won't be necessary for you. (I reloaded 12 years before I got a tumbler, and nope, I didn't wear out any dies, and yep, I could spot defects. I just recently purchased a case trimmer 'cause my reloading was 90% handgun and only .223 and 30-30 occasionally. I recenty got me an M1 that I'm very careful with the reloads). Nearly every reloading forum has stickies about needed equipment for a beginner...
    My Anchor is holding fast!